Former RAF Aerodrome Norton Woodseats

I believe one of the buildings is reputed to be haunted!

I think the main South Yorkshire aircraft museum is at Doncaster, although there was a great small one at Firbeck between Maltby and Oldcotes. Does anyone know if it is still there and open?

i have pictures of this aerodrome took around 3 years ago but cant access them as they are on an old hard drive. they are supposedly spooky ones of a man walking his dog etc and there is a rope noose hanging from the roof inside the hangar

Hackenthorpe was in Derbyshire as I had to attend a derbyshire school, Ridgeway Junior school when we moved out there in the 50's.

One spot where the county borders met was down the bottom of Intake where a stream ran under the main road. There was a sign there so you could have one foot in each County! Anyone remember ?

have you been under the road through the stream?. we walked under there and had almost got across when a barrage of water fell down from the grates in the road :hihi:

Recently heard that part of the old runway of the Norton aerodrome was exposed when they were digging the foundations for the new Meadowhead school.

the old air raid shelter is still there in the woods at the top of hazlebarrow drive.the mormon church there used to be ex servicemans club site an old tin hut ,it closed in the seventys.

I remember being taken to Norton to see an RAF air display circa '58, the only planes I can recall were Fairey Deltas mainly 'cause I subsequently got the airfix kit (droop snoot nose like the much later Concord)

Coal Aston airfield is still very much live and kicking on the hill upside of Apperknowle, regular light aircraft traffic particularly at weekends - there were also stories of a Cobham Flying Circus performance at Coal Aston proper ??

My Mother taught at Birley Spa, Frechville, which was in Derbyshire when she started there, maybe 1962, and in South Yorkshire when she retired 1970

I was stationed as R A F Norton with the RAF Police for 2 years

from 1952 to 1953 along with Corporals Peter Lowe from Liverpool,Cpl John Baines from Inverness, and Cpl Alf Seddon from Lancashire looking after the Guardroom and Station Security until being demobbed from there in Sept 1953 (after the Coronation.)

The Station Adjutant at that time was a Flying Officer Terry who was in overall charge.

During that time it was No. 3 GRSS ( Ground Radar Service )

and also a Motor Pool. I would be interested to hear from anyone

else who was stationed there around that time.

I'm sure I went to the RAF Norton dances held on a Saturday night. Would be late 50's.

hazel

A friend of mine did his N.S. there, talk about luck.

I was in the ATC in 1958, we did "duty" there at the summer display, i remember the fly over was a Shackleton, Lincoln bomber, Canberra, Valiant, Varsity, and aerobatic display from Chipmunks. A hanger display of engines and RAF bits n bobs, and the great thrill of being allowed to sit in the cockpit of the mk 24 Spitfire which was the gate guardian.

This is now in the RAF museum at Hendon.

Not really Norton Woodseats but Lightwood. I went to what was then Norton County School on Derbyshire Lane (now Mundella School)and a lot of RAF Personnels childen attended there in the 1950's. The RAF also had houses in the area incl warminster Road where personell were housed if they had families. In the entrance to Mundella School on the notice board outside the school office there used to be a wooden Shield presented to the school in the 1950's by the RAF.

As one of the other posters has stated - there were two places - is that correct?

One of them was on the other side of Norton Lane/Dyche Lane - near to where Rowlinson School is/was. The other one is located further up - (using a 1960s roadmap) - going up Norton Lane, past an estate house up towards the Water Tower - then a road junction - bear right and keep going and the other aerodrome is on the right? Is this correct?

I used to play in the buildings opposite Norton Lane - early/mid 1960s and I definitely remember watching airshows from my house which was on Norton Park...

As one of the other posters has stated - there were two places - is that correct?QUOTE]

Yep, I think the one at Rowlinson school may have had a runway. The other was at Lightwood and at some time it made or housed barrage balloons. Didnt have runway though.