Former RAF Aerodrome Norton Woodseats

I was born in the RAF houses (I think they were anyway) that overlook the airfield. My Dad did his National Service in the late 50s in RAF, I don't know if thats why we ended up in those house or not.. I'll have to ask. I'm pretty sure it wasn't in use in 1964 when I was born.

Went to Herdings school 61-63 and vaguely remember small private planes using it, but did not see any RAF stuff.

I used to live opposite RAF Norton for several years and got to know it really well.

It was supposed to be a Convoy Assembly station and on open days had some very unconvincing photos of lage convoys, it was actually a wireless and radar repair station.

A lot of the people stationed there used to go in the Bagshawe Arms opposite on the few occasions they caused trouble the landlady (not landlord) used to throw them out.

Don't remeber ever seeing any planes and doubt if they could land "runways" not long enough.

Hiya......I lived and worked at lightwood in the 70's it was known as Lightwood house, it housed mentally and physically handicapped people, it was opened in approx 1974/75 previously it had been the old RAF Aradrome Lightwood Norton, the RAF houses had been done up and became housing for the staff, I was told while I was there that the staff housing used to be in Derbyshire and the hospital in Sheffield which was only across the carpark, hope this may be of help to someone.

Going back a bit earlier than the second world war, the site you’re talking about used to be an aerodrome during the 1920s and 30s. I remember going there with my parents to see an air display at a time when to see one aircraft in the sky was a novelty to be talked about for a week. I also recall that the main road leading to it — now a modern highway — was nothing more than a wide dirt drack. The areroplane I saw were stunt aircraft, with females doing handstands on the wings. Very exciting!

There was some sort of military site round the back of what used to be Rowlinson school at meadowhead when I was a kid. It would be just about where the all weather courts are at the top end.

I think that at some time there was an airfield of some sort that ran across where Jordanthorpe School field was,or so we were told by a teacher there. Just below the boys school but I think that may have been before the war.

There seems to be some confusion here, there were two RAF Aerodromes at Norton, one at Herdings near Gleadless which during the war was a Barrage Ballon maintenance site and after the war became a Radio/Radar maintenance unit, no planes ever landed there because there were'nt any runways, just narrow roadways which were later used for driver training, the other one was on Dyche Lane at Meadowhead, this one was an Aircraft repair facility and could take light to medium sized aircraft, it was also a base for a sort of flying circus with stunt planes, such as they were in those days, this is now replaced by Rowlinson School and there is very little evidence left.

I remember all those old buildings from when I was at school. For some reason it was always refered to as 'The Admiralty' , perhaps the navy used in WW2

I remember all those old buildings from when I was at school. For some reason it was always refered to as 'The Admiralty' , perhaps the navy used in WW2

Thanks for that Artisan I had been trying to think what it was known as.:):thumbsup:

I had a newspaper cutting from the 1950's that showed a helicoper landing in a swirl of snow at RAF Norton, for some kind of trial work. Does anyone remember seeing this?

It was also a Radio training school for a short time My brothers partner's dad worked their. It moved to Finningley when the base closed.

I believe the land was purchased by the Trent Regional Health Authority and was to have been a new hospital the Southern General Hospital but the Hallamshire was built instead.

When Western Park Hospital was being built equipment was ordered, but the building was not ready, so it was stored for a short time at Norton in the building with it's windows bricked up next to the road.