Former RAF Aerodrome Norton Woodseats

When I was aged 6 (1945) onwards I used to visit my Grandfather who lived at Meadowhead. Every Sunday we used to walk towards Norton and on the right hand side there were RAF buildings. We always walked through this camp. There were some living units too.(they were occupied at the time). So long ago, I probably didn't take much notice. This must be the area you are referring to. Certainly seperate to the RAF Norton we all knew. Don't know the actual name of the camp, unfortunately.

Would be RAF Coal Aston. Heres an old photo showing Dyche Lane running left/right, and Norton Lane running top/bottom, before branching off to the left. The road that then branches off to the right must be Cinderhill Lane...

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af218/thebear8432/aerodrome1_zps27cc9b2e.jpg

My thanks to WarPig and Derek Read for the information on the Coal Aston site and Derek's very informative PDF file on Norton's history .

It has finally answered my long standing question about the existence of a very early airfield being there at the old Meadowhead cross roads.

I did mention that I thought a man made a parachute jump, well with Sir Alan Cobham's air shows being held there between WW1 & WW2 lots happened and a demo like this would be a normal item. Another distant memory came back while reminiscing, the parachutist was I believe called the 'Bird Man ' so titled because he had a flying suit with panels between his arms to his body and between his legs and used them to manage some gliding before finally opening his parachute. I think he finally came to grief on a demonstration.

The Norton site I do remember well, it was at the end of Lightwood lane but no flying was done from here. A mixture of uses but the main occupation was as we called them Barrage Balloons.

Dereks pdf file is fantastic isnt it. Ive taken some recent photos of RAF Norton (Lightwood Lane) to compare with Dereks photos of how it once looked, the differences are staggering. Im not sure if I can post them here though as surely Derak has some rights to his photos?

I was an airman in the Royal Auxiliary Air force Regiment that was based there. I was a Ground wireless Mechanic, and used to help fit Radio Transmitters/Receivers   to our fleet of Land Rovers. That was in 1957/8.

I also saw the Vulcan Bomber there, as it came over the base very low down as it did a fly passed during an Air Show.

On 02/06/2019 at 14:37, Peter Tottle said:

I was an airman in the Royal Auxiliary Air force Regiment that was based there. I was a Ground wireless Mechanic, and used to help fit Radio Transmitters/Receivers   to our fleet of Land Rovers. That was in 1957/8.

I also saw the Vulcan Bomber there, as it came over the base very low down as it did a fly passed during an Air Show.

D o you have any photos of the base from when you were there?