Former RAF Aerodrome Norton Woodseats

Re R.A.F. Norton

That is where the the Aerial[riggers] training school was .

I was there in 1957 for the 3 month course , then it was off to R.A.F Henlow

as a new Senior Air Craftsman.

I remember the wooden huts with their pot bellied stoves,hot in the summer and freezing in the winter

We built a dry stone dyke wall in front of the School building , the hard bit was collecting the stones big enough to build it

I remember the school won the Tug of War that year ,I was on the team &

have a Medal to prove it,we beat the Sergeants ,who I,m sure were feeling no pain with ale .

The food was great ,the Sergeant cook was a Giant of man ,a gold medalist & the corporal also had a gold medal for cooking , rare for a National Service man.

I completed my 2 years national service at R.A.F. Henlow

Happy days ??

I should look out the old Photographs and post them.

Have you seen this other thread on here "Norton Aerodrome".

"I have just completed a non-commercial illustrated book on the history of RAF Norton. There is a copy in the Local Studies Library of Sheffield City Library. However, if anyone would like a pdf copy to download, please let me have your e-mail address. You should send it to [email protected]

This is the e-mail site I used whilst compiling the book and I now only look at it occasionally. The further your request is from today's date (6th July 2010) the longer you may have to wait. There is absolutely no charge for this document."

During the war years, a friend of mine (still here!), as part of an entertainment group, visited both stations to put on shows for the guards and personnel.

My elder brother and myself were born in 1961 and 1962 in Sheffield, the reason for this being that my Dad was a RADAR Technician and was stationed at RAF Norton during that time.

I just happen to support the greatest band to come out of Sheffield - THL!

used 2 keep an old car in the old camp when @ school... omg yonks back!

We used to live opposite what is now the Meadowhead School formerly Rowlinson and during the 1960's used to regularly play on the defunct and ruined 'Old Admiralty'. Beyond the military buildings were marvellous fields with a stream and blackberry bushes, now Jordanthorpe estate. Norton Lane was a small lane the more recent dual carriageway now runs parallel to this. There were large workshops and hangars with boiler rooms at the end and large square brick tanks that held water dotted around the site. I remember the air-raid shelter near Hazelbarrow but we couldn't get into it as it was flooded.

The AFS had a depot where the roundabout and Mormon Church now are and some of the personnel lived in nissen huts, one Gordon Farmer was a fireman and had a red Saab! He had a son called Michael.

There was a practice tower and vehicle garages and i think they were all demolished in 1975 for the new road project. The old ex-Servicemen also had a hut there for meetings.

Some flat topped houses, one on the corner of Norton Lane and School Lane and more close by were supposed to have been built for the RAF Officers accomodation.

I was stationed at RAF Norton from 1955 to 1957. I was a cook. The station was then used for, as far as I can remember, the Aerial Riggers school and also 3GRSS which was to do with radar. The base was still open when I left in '57.

We used to catch the bus outside the camp on a Saturday to go and watch Sheffield Wednesday, I think the bus route was called 'The Circular'. Another favourite haunt was a pub called 'The Nailmakers' which was not far from the camp. I also vaguely remember a dance hall in Gleadless which was named 'The Azena' or something like that.

When I left the Airforce I went back to Sheffield and worked for a firm called Davies which was in Paternoster row. I was there for about 12 months before I went back to Scotland.

My fondest memory of Sheffield was when I arrived. I came in at Midland station in Pond St at about 2am and did not have a clue where to go. There was a bus garage nearby and I asked for directions. The mechanic looked at me and all my gear and he said " I don't care how fit you are but you won't get to Norton with all that stuff, it will kill you". Lucky for me he had to test a bus and he ran me up to the RAF station. When I saw how long and steep Duke St was, and the long trip down from Manor Top I realised what he meant. After that experience I did enjoy my time in Sheffield.

Suprised to read there was no runway at lightwood and the runway was where Rowlinson and Jordanthorpe school is now.

I used to live next to Rowlinson school and about 20 yards from our back garden there was an air raid shelter.

It is still there now.

We used to live opposite what is now the Meadowhead School formerly Rowlinson and during the 1960's used to regularly play on the defunct and ruined 'Old Admiralty'. Beyond the military buildings were marvellous fields with a stream and blackberry bushes, now Jordanthorpe estate. Norton Lane was a small lane the more recent dual carriageway now runs parallel to this. There were large workshops and hangars with boiler rooms at the end and large square brick tanks that held water dotted around the site. I remember the air-raid shelter near Hazelbarrow but we couldn't get into it as it was flooded.

The AFS had a depot where the roundabout and Mormon Church now are and some of the personnel lived in nissen huts, one Gordon Farmer was a fireman and had a red Saab! He had a son called Michael.

There was a practice tower and vehicle garages and i think they were all demolished in 1975 for the new road project. The old ex-Servicemen also had a hut there for meetings.

Some flat topped houses, one on the corner of Norton Lane and School Lane and more close by were supposed to have been built for the RAF Officers accomodation.

The old ex servicemens club [hut] was where the mormon church is now.

The residents of jordanthorpe tried to buy it to build a new club but could not get planning permission.

jasdell have sent you p/m hope you received was there 1954 nov to 57 june

I have a programme for RAF Norton Open Day dated 17th September 1960.At this time it was No.3 Ground Radio Servicing Squadron.The commanding officer is given as Wing Commander J.H.I.Stirling.There is a squadron badge which consists of two gauntlets with a lightning flash passing between them.The station motto is 'Test and Prove'.In the open day programme is a plan of the station giving locations for the cinema,hangars,lost children post,workshops etc.Attractions given are.......Raf Police Dog Team...Raf regional band...cinema showing aviation films....bars...hangars with displays of jet engines....survival equipment...armament...radio and radar equipment..the list goes on.I was there on the day aged about 14yrs.I vividly remember the flying display with Meteors ,Vampires Canberras and the like.Any one else remember these open day displays???????

I finished my NS service there and the Wing Commanders signiature is on my demob papers.......

seems hundreds of years ago now.........

Edited by sturdle
spelling error

I think the the Norton Aerodrome goes back much further that WWII. A lot of time has gone by - I'm 75 now, but I remember my dad talking to me about it being an aerodrome in the 1920's . My dad was a pilot in WWI. He started out in the RFC (Royal Flying Corps) which then became the RAF. Like a lot of you said, it was only used for barage balloons in WWII though.