Former RAF Aerodrome Norton Woodseats

So what was the airfield at norton/lightwood, which is now used as a driving centre used for? was it used inWW2?

Priory the only reason has to be that it wasnt in yorkshire in those days it was in derbyshire i believe.

The base at Lightwood was used in WW11 as a service and repair base for Barrage Ballons, and yes it would be in Derbyshire at that time.

I think that the airfield was used in WW1.Flying displays were there between the wars.A friend of mine frim Sheffield did his National Service there.

They probably did do flying displays but that would most likely have been the base at Norton/Woodseats where they had a landing strip and could take quite large aircraft [at the time] the Barrage Balloon base had no landing strip and is surrounded by trees.

I will try to locate the book I mentioned in earlier post, It has lots of history and pictures. give me a few days to find it.

If you wish to know about both Airbases at Norton you will find it in this book "Norton in wartime" by Norton History group, they can be contacted at, Mrs W N Gilmour, 264 Norton lane, Sheffield, S8 8HD.

The Airbase at Norton Woodseats was No 2 Aircraft repair Depot and the other one was No 16 Ballon Centre Sheffield.

Sheffield archives On Shoreham St have a plan of the entire site ref,BUSH S586.

The book has lots of photos and maps of both sites so if you want to know about this you can order the book through your local library ISBN 0 9525395 0 0.

Thank you.

I was in the A.T.C. during 1958, and remember being on duty there during one of the open days and flypast events. It finished service I believe in 1960, being a radar service centre. The spitfire which was used as a gate guardian is now fully renovated and on display at the RAF museum at Hendon.

The Spitfire that used to be the "gate guardian" at RAF Norton was fully renovated, and is now displyed in the RAF museum at Hendon.

I did'nt know that, That museum is at the end of the M1 I believe, never been.

Check out new tread "RAF Norton Spitfire" for some more info

When my school used to take me there in the 60's everything was smart and in place. hutes - hangers - the grass cut - just like in the films. I know the station was not for aircraft but what's its real history.

Originally posted by Trekker

When my school used to take me there in the 60's everything was smart and in place. hutes - hangers - the grass cut - just like in the films. I know the station was not for aircraft but what's its real history.

Merged several similar threads so you should find something here. Good luck.