Former RAF Aerodrome Norton Woodseats

Oh! Norton Aeredrome is still standing is it--after I used to practice my driving on it in 1971 as an L Driver!!

See, I was a good driver after all!!

I believe that the Firbeck collection went to Doncaster, in full or part I cannot say. Firbeck has a long history of flying by the site of the old collection. I belive it's military history is detailed in one of the books about south yorkshire air bases.

graham_mca

REF. RAF Norton

There were only balloons there, it was built to look like an areodrome, to attract the german bombers away from the east end steelworks of, John Browns and The English Steel company who were making shells for the war.

They were build in many cities in the north and midlands.

Originally posted by "RowlandPayne"

Can anyone out there remember the former RAF station, RAF Norton at Gledless the sqnds or units that where based there .and what year did this station close down.

I was stationed at RAF NORTON DURING 1958 as a radar fitter.

The Station was the No 3 ground radar servicing section. 3GRSS.

I think the station closed in 1960.

My father in law worked at the R A F site after the war I believe he looked after the boiler and did general work on the night shift if my memory serves me correctly :shock:

I blame RAF Norton for my decision to enter the RAF when I was 'called up' in 1958. I had visited an 'open day' at RAF Norton a few years before, and thought the RAF was a neat service. Changed my mind after 5 years as a Wop/A.!!

I drove a circular bus (#3, I think) that went past Norton, this was in 1964, thought I remembered Norton still being open! Maybe not!

there was a aerodrome about where Jordenthorpe school is the site at lightwood was a balloon barage site during the war

As a small chid in the late 1940s I remember going past R.A.F Norton on the bus and seeing literally thousands of U.S Army "jeeps". When I asked why they were there I was told that they were all going to be scrapped, otherwise they would flood the secondhand car market at the time

There are plans to build a new housing estate, hotel and business park on the Norton Aerodrome site. These plans are available to view at the new Town Hall building (Howden House).

Having looked at the plans, there are no historic maps of the site until about the 1950's, probably due to the fact that it was kept secret during the war.

I live on the Charnock estate and I regularly walk through the aerodrome. One of my neighbours used to work there after the war. I dont know when the building work is due to commence but, for anyone interested, it might be worth having a last look at the site before is is developed on.

This is not the Barrage Ballon station at Norton, this was a proper airfield with landing strip and was located at the junction of Norton Lane and Dyche Lane, the site is now occupied by Rowlinson Junior School, I have read a book about the history of this airfield but cannot recall the title I think it was something like "Wartime memories of Norton"

The RAF station at Norton was an active base upto the 1950s. I remember that it had a spitfire or hurricane at the main gate .

I also believe that the only time the Great Yorkshire show was held outside Yorkshire it was held at the Norton airfield but I don't

know if that is a fact.

I think we are at cross purposes here, Norton Woodseats Airfield is Not the one where the Barrage Ballons were serviced, I lived next door to that one for many years.