Former RAF Aerodrome Norton Woodseats

Can anyone out there remember the former RAF station, RAF Norton at Gledless the sqnds or units that where based there .and what year did this station close down.

I can remember the R.A.F. station at norton,the barage ballon's that flew there during the second world war,however I wasn't old enough to remember detail's about squadron's or dates.Sorry! :P8)

thanks very much halevan for your help if you think of eney other info please post it on the forum

does eney one know where i can find out the history about this former raf station that has been around sheffield for over 60 years now their are no web sites at all that i can find thanks.......

Guest Guest

I believe one of the buildings is reputed to be haunted!

I think the main South Yorkshire aircraft museum is at Doncaster, although there was a great small one at Firbeck between Maltby and Oldcotes. Does anyone know if it is still there and open?

Yes, I remember going to an air show there in the fifties with my parents, had a great time, no idea when it closed down though.

As far I know RAF Norton was a barrrage balloon depot during WW2 under the control of the RAF and not a fully operational areodrome.

Lots of referances in the city library.

Tony R Turner

Good God! Derek, do you remember it as well ? My overiding memory of that day was when a jet swooped really low, what a noise! I almost .. er.embarrassed myself, and my parents.

If you used to be known by the nickname SONNY can you please get in touch .

Raf Norton was No. 16 Balloon Centre.(Barrage Balloons).The centre comprised of three Squadrons.

939 (West Riding),940 (West Riding) and 941 (West Riding). Each squadron had three flights comprising 8 balloons each.

During the war years some form of military detention centre was also on the site.I have a friend who was aircrew who spent several days there following a pub brawl in Sheffield city centre.(Aircrew didn't drink did they??). In post war years an air display took place each year up to the late fifties.I remember seeing fly pasts by Meteors, Vampires,Canberras, V bombers and the like.There was of course no runway as such.There were military bands playing and static displays of jet engines etc in the balloon hangars. Who can remember the two 'Gate Guardian' aircraft on each side of the main gate?.There was a Spitfire and a Vampire (I think!), both painted silver with RAF markings.I used to ride past on my bicycle and stop to peer at them through the fence.When the station closed I remember reading in the 'Star' newspaper that these two aircraft had gone to the 'Strathallan' collection in Scotland.Hope this is of use.

Some info for anyone lookinf ro old service pals.

http://www.vimart.co.uk

The site has recently started up, but it looks like a great idea.

Moon Maiden