Lowedges- in the 50s, 60s and 70s

Anyone know were any of the Rogers who lived at 44 Toppham Way in the early 60s are now

Sorry about that last message I'll try typing properly now Lol. I went to school with Phil and he always says I was the first person he met on starting school. How is he these days I haven't seen him for years!

phils ok really settled now

Hi,

I lived on Lowedges Road during the 60's and 70's. I know most of the people you mention, did the Gus you mentioned have a brother called Herman? I used to knock about at the Grennel Mower end of the estate with the Irvins (worm and podge), a guy called Bernie, Chris Brookes, Ian Handley, Ian Hudson (my cousin) to name but a few. Does anyone else know this crowd?

My best mates daughter used to hang out with Paul (podge) Irvins 2nieces (twins) who lived on Gresley Road back in the early 1990s. I think their dad was called Don, would he have been 'worm?

I remember them relating a story about how, one Sunday, podge was visiting his mother, who also lived on Gresley Road, and notices that she has had her house re-decorated throughout. Looking very nice Mum says he, but it must have cost a mint to have it all done at once. Oh no she replies, I bought all the materials and a chap who goes in the Grennel Mower did the job for me for £100, cash in hand, and it took him a full week. Podge duly enquires as to who the individual could be that could afford to do all that work, and do such a good job, for so small a sum for a weeks work and Mrs. Irvin duly obliges with the nice mans name.

The following day the chap in question, none other than Alan Ogden (RIP), gets a knock from a couple of blokes who introduce themselves as fraud investigators from the DHSS, one of which was Podge Irvin. I've come to ask you about the undeclared work that you've been doing says podge, to which Alan replies no idea what you're on about. Podge then explains the circumstances about it being his mothers house that Alan had decorated and proceeds to have him nicked, prosecuted and his benefits claim thrown out. :shakes:

Alan was wrong to have done what he did but I think under the circumstances Podge Irvin could have turned a blind eye especially as it involved his own mother, who was also culpable for employing Alan in the first place. Needless to say, old Mrs. Irvin never appeared before the magistrates for her part in the whole episode. I actually corroborated all this with Alan Ogden, it was before we had a falling out, and he confirmed it to be true.

None of this came as a major surprise to me as Podge Irvine was a nasty, snidey, horrible piece of work when he was a teenager and seemed to have landed in the right sort of job for someone of his disposition. :evil::twisted::sad:

Hi, no worm was Steve Irvin not Don. A sorry story you relate that much is true but I have to disagree the Podge Irvin Iknew wasn't all the things you say. I never found him to be a nasty, snidey, horrible piece of workand NO before you ask I didn't go out with him he was just a mate.

Hi, no worm was Steve Irvin not Don. A sorry story you relate that much is true but I have to disagree the Podge Irvin Iknew wasn't all the things you say. I never found him to be a nasty, snidey, horrible piece of workand NO before you ask I didn't go out with him he was just a mate.

I take your point. Take people as you find them and treat them accordingly. It was that way for me with Alan Ogden. We were mates until he started living with a very good friend of mine and eventually started using his fists on her and ended up one day with a knife at her throat threatening to kill her. He left shortly after (see an earlier thread) and never bothered her again, but I had lost all respect and patience for him by that time and we never spoke after that. :sad:

Any of you out there lived on the Lowedges in the 60's and 70's. Did you frequent the Grennel Mower, Magpie, Bradway Hotel, White Hart etc. Did you go to the youth club at the church on the second shops and later the new youth club ran by a guy called John Fair? Do the names Gus, Haggis, Az, Big Willie, Maltby, Ruddy, Rare'un ring a bell???

Yes to all the above. you are obiously a few years older than me judging by the names mentioned. you probably know my brother Josh. he still goes in most of them places.

I Stand corrected then matey, just shows you that you can't tell a book by its cover.

I never thought Jimmy would turn out to be a woman basher.

Cheers for that info matey.

Jimmy wasn't a woman basher and you are right, Jimmy was a good bloke. Like any one else if you wronged him he stood his ground.

my grandad charles burnand & nan peggy lived at 104 atlantic rd,lowedges they had 7kids,all daughters bar a son called derek,do you or any 1 remember this family?

I remember Derek, always seemed to be in same classes at school. Knocked about with him for a short while. When I heard that he had died, I was told he had commited suicide, is that the case?

My hub is off Lowedges, his family are still there, he used to be a mate of the Anson's but he was later than when you're mentioning, he was born in 71. When we visit his family, they're all stills tood outside Maggie, nowt changes!

Any of you out there lived on the Lowedges in the 60's and 70's. Did you frequent the Grennel Mower, Magpie, Bradway Hotel, White Hart etc. Did you go to the youth club at the church on the second shops and later the new youth club ran by a guy called John Fair? Do the names Gus, Haggis, Az, Big Willie, Maltby, Ruddy, Rare'un ring a bell???

my husband is still friends with haz and knew most of the other names

Hi Johnh

I used to live at Lowedges in the late 60's.I drank very often in the pubs you mentioned.

I can Az and Haggis, we were good buddies, there was also Dave Ladeler, Chris Morton,Phil Howard, Geoff Bruce and Dave O'Brien. Have lost track of all them now, but if you know wherebout of any mentioned please let me know. cheers matey.

Hi jauntyone my husband is Dave Laidler he remembers everyone you mentioned

he is still friends with haz and sees him from time to time. he also saw Jimmy Ogden last week not seen him for yrs.

Does anyone remember David and Peter Salvin.

Must be from the sixties.