Lowedges- in the 50s, 60s and 70s

Phailig...

You mention Kenny Cox - I remember him from my school days at J'thorpe.

Didn't the poor lad die all of a sudden, from an unknown heart problem?

Seem to recall that he died on the soccer pitch? Brilliant footballer, and a really nice kid from memory.

Long time ago now - late 60's?

Don't think he made it past his early 20's...

All read in your post about dave O'Brien, a classmate of mine all though from 62/63....Read in another post that he's emigrated to Aussie......correct, or is he back? Any idea?

hi phailig

thanks for buggies other name, being trying to remember it for ages.

do you know if he's still living on lowedges???

I seem to remember some of the names of people who went in the maggie, but its that long ago can't recolect faces.

cheers matey for info

Hi Riffraff

I Can remember that Dave O'brien got married to Val, then he went to Austrailia to work. I don't know if he ever returned to the UK.

Would be nice to know, especially if I could contact him as we were really good mates.

I still have a photo of Dave and myself which was taken in a night club we used to frequent many moons ago...

cheers for info riffraff

hi riffraff

yes kenny cox did die young in 1970, he was playing football for the swan athletic (white swan in greenhill village) his mum went to wake him for work the next morning and found he had died during the night, yes he was a nice lad and a fantastic footballer we used to play on sunday all day in lowedges park near the toilets had some great games, to be honest i didnt know of dave going to oz but he does still live in sheffield, his brother in law works in harveys furniture store on the drakehouse, hes married to daves elder sister bev.

hi jauntyone

i dont know if buggsy is still around sheffield, i dont know dave o'biens addybut next time i go onto drakehouse i will see if i can get itfrom his brothe r in law

see you later

phailig

hi phailig

thanks for replying, to the question about dave o addy, and letting me know about buggsy. it is well appreciated.

cheers matey

jauntyone

Hi Phailig, Billy Ash is my cousin, and went on to marry a Scottish girl, and move to London to be a chef in the Post Office Tower resturant (if that is the one that slowly turned round). He now lives in Kettering, where he is still a chef. His mum, Anne, still lives on the maisonettes behind the shops. Just an update for you.

hello glitterbug

yes billy did marry a scots lass, he worked for BT in sheffield then moved to kettering to work for bt as sir ian vallance (BT chairman) as his personnel chef last time i saw billy was in kettering at the george hotel where he worked on a wednesday night, standing in for the chef. that was in 1989, i worked for bt then and we were on a course at the george, havnt seen or heard from him since then.

phailig

I was a bridesmaid at his wedding, i think it was at St Andrews. He has 2 grown up sons now and is a grandad too. Think he is still at the George. I am from Lowedges too but younger than Billy, i lived across from the Magpie, the Allen family.

Any of you out there lived on the Lowedges in the 60's and 70's. Did you frequent the Grennel Mower, Magpie, Bradway Hotel, White Hart etc. Did you go to the youth club at the church on the second shops and later the new youth club ran by a guy called John Fair? Do the names Gus, Haggis, Az, Big Willie, Maltby, Ruddy, Rare'un ring a bell???

Yes i remember Lowedges, watched it being built, had a drive on the huge bulldozers, i was only about 4/5 at the time, then went to the dance on a Friday on Reney Ave. as a teenager, later when married worked at the Grennal Mower, hated it, but it help pay for our new home in 1973.

I am from a slightly later Lowedges - we were on the Drive from 58 - 64 but I was only a babs. We moved to Lupton Road and I stayed there until I got married (at St Petes on the rainiest day ever!) The people who lived around us were, Gary Leavewood, The Thompsons , a whole tribe of them but I particularly remebered Jeannie, The Dickinsons, Michael Jaqueline and David, The Oxleys another tribe, Adrian, David Barry and several others. The Taylors, Karen Booth and The Copelands. There was also Cheryl Bane? Paul Reaney used to live quite close too. Oh and the Collins's - have heard Jonny Collins died recently, commiserations to the family.

my grandad charles burnand & nan peggy lived at 104 atlantic rd,lowedges they had 7kids,all daughters bar a son called derek,do you or any 1 remember this family?