Lowedges- in the 50s, 60s and 70s

I lived on lowedges road across from junior school .god i hated that dog at jackson supermarket.i remember them building the micheal church who remebers going to the brownies there and later the discos.

Hi there, yes Dad had three sisters, Anne, Kath and Jayne, him and Mum got married in 68 (the year i was born). Mum was definately his first wife lol

Hi 2001louise - just seen your message about the Whymans. There were some Whymans lived next door to us on Gervase Ave and they had two sons Jack and Graham. Are they the same ones?

i remember the landlord at the magpie graham hemmingray was his son who worked with me at firth cleveland ropes in the 70s.

Hi, I lived on lowedges from 1954 till i got married in 1975 my mum still lives on Lupton Road I remember most of the people mentioned my best mate was Jane cooper and still is! Those were the days..

Hi Wassy,, did you have a sister? born in 59?

Hello Jeff

Tony Crapper here. Remember Argentina in 1981? I hope you are well and in good health.

Would that be the Tony Crapper from Atlantic Rd, your mum is called Joyce and father Roy?

Anybody on here lived on the Lowedges in the 50s and 60s. I lived on Atlantic road and went to Lowedges primary school. Does anyone remember the launderette opening and getting free tokens for washing!

Would be interested to talk with old friends from that time:)

yeah i remember that ..pm me

Sure did estweyn, lived in the L-shaped block just opposite the swings where the swings and roundabout were! Can't remember collecting wood though. I went to the Youth Club at St Peters and later the new Youth Centre down by the park. PM me!

I have pmd you

Edited by estweyn

I was born in 1955 and we lived near the fire station on Lowedges Road. I went to Lowedges (Bradway County) school from the infants to 4th juniors. I was in Mrs Meggitts class in 1b but she went on mat leave and Mr Read (old pop mental) took over for the rest of the year. In yr 2 I was with Miss White, Yr 3 Mr Brown and 4b Miss Bedford. I was also in the recorder group that Miss White ran.

You were either in the year below me at school or the same year, I was in 4b with Miss Bedford. I remember Pop mental now. Funny how you forget some things. I remember doing art with Miss Bedford, we had to measure out on our page and join up the lines and eventually got a thunderbird picture. We also made rag dolls in her class.

I was born in 1957 and went to Bradway then Jordanthorpe. My first teacher was Miss Hopkinson (the red headed one?) then Miss Reid and Mr Brown. We had an art teacher for a time called Miss Jagger (did nobody marry?) and she had a thing with Brown, well that was the rumour.

I captained the rounders and football teams and we had alot of fun playing other schools. I remember playing rounders once against Woodseats at their school and we had to put a fielder down the cellar steps who couldnt see a thing!!!

We played Harold Jackson school at rounders in their first ever game against another school and the sports teacher, a Mr Hughes told us to declare because our batting score was too much!!! That was the summer of 68.

Great days

I was born in 56 and If I can remember correctly

First year (1b) teacher was Ms Field

Second year (2b), Miss Tindall, I believe her father was councillor (I made the rank of milk monitor this year...lol)

Third Year (3c), Mr Brown, if you pestered enough he would play his guitar

Fourth Year(4b), Miss Bedford with Mr Strange (4A) across the landing

I remember the scrabble to get the rounders bat with Fred Bookers name on it during games.

Wasn't Mrs Duckenfield the Yard Lady who put germoline on grazed knees ?

Who can remember the library on the shops