Lowedges- in the 50s, 60s and 70s

Any of you out there lived on the Lowedges in the 60's and 70's. Did you frequent the Grennel Mower, Magpie, Bradway Hotel, White Hart etc. Did you go to the youth club at the church on the second shops and later the new youth club ran by a guy called John Fair? Do the names Gus, Haggis, Az, Big Willie, Maltby, Ruddy, Rare'un ring a bell???

not me personally as I wasn't born but I know someone who recognises those names...

Why you ask??

Just wondered what happened to some of the old guys and gals who are probably about the same age as myself (53). I went to Bradway Primary School, later Jordanthorpe and left in 69. I used to drink in the Grennel Mower, Magpie and White Hart, although I left Sheffield in 1977.

Hi Johnh

I used to live at Lowedges in the late 60's.I drank very often in the pubs you mentioned.

I can Az and Haggis, we were good buddies, there was also Dave Ladeler, Chris Morton,Phil Howard, Geoff Bruce and Dave O'Brien. Have lost track of all them now, but if you know wherebout of any mentioned please let me know. cheers matey.

i think there is a bloke called gus that still lives on lowedges.he still drinks in the magpie.think he is in his late 40s early 50s.i used to live on toppham road so my dad was a regular at the magpie.wasnt until the middle 70s tho that we moved up to the estate.i know the fletchers used to run the the pub.cant remember if it was late 70s or early 80s tho

i think there is a bloke called gus that still lives on lowedges.he still drinks in the magpie.think he is in his late 40s early 50s.i used to live on toppham road so my dad was a regular at the magpie.wasnt until the middle 70s tho that we moved up to the estate.i know the fletchers used to run the the pub.cant remember if it was late 70s or early 80s tho

Gus is now a pathetic elderly bloke who was always a bully when he was backed up by a gang of 10 but couldn't ever punch his way out of a wet paper bag when he was on his own.

As for these stupid stories that the fletchers (or the hansons or the maltbys) RAN anything on lowedges, well the only thing that I can say is that none of these arsehole families ever ran or dictated anything on the estate.The whole say so, as to what was allowed to happen on the estate, was firmly in the hands of someone who would not have even turned a head, such was his anonimity.

hi hagardriley

you obviously did'nt know the ogdens then, especially one called jimmy/ he was areally good bloke but if you wronged him you certainly new about it.

hi hagardriley

you obviously did'nt know the ogdens then, especially one called jimmy/ he was areally good bloke but if you wronged him you certainly new about it.

Wrong about that one mate, I knew the Ogdens, Alan Ogden in particular. He lived with a very good friend of mine about 20 years ago and was really good with his fists, as she found out to her cost on several occasions. :nono:

That particular scenario was brought to a close when he was given a good bashing one dark evening by an anonymous assailant who told him it had happened for the last time and that it was better to leave while he still had the ability to walk. He left a week later when he came out of the hospital.

Who was the mystery assailant?

Nobody was ever charged and I could not possibly comment or speculate on the matter. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Really hard those Ogdens!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFPMSL :wink:

I Stand corrected then matey, just shows you that you can't tell a book by its cover.

I never thought Jimmy would turn out to be a woman basher.

Cheers for that info matey.

Jaunyone.....Dave O'Brien/Jordanthorpe School?

If 'your' D O'B is mid-fifties now, I was in the same class as him until I left in '67/68....

Nice kid : very fast on his feet (!) - always beat me in the ol' 100 yard sprint on sports day....good footballer, too....

I went into the Magpie in 1979.

The sight of one bloke hitting another around the back of the noggin with a pool cue because he won the game added a certain....element of terror to the pint I was drinking.

Thanks for the warning seeing as thats my local! lol