Lowedges- in the 50s, 60s and 70s

On 20/08/2011 at 23:00, finley said:

i was born in 1955 and I am one of the people mentioned in Camelots reply. I can remember Miss prebble head mistress ,Miss upperdine and also some where have pictures of them taken when they retired that were printed in the star.

i remember Basher following us home from school one along the back path, scary at the time but funny the day after!

I remember mrs Woodger also she had platts that she wrapped around her head if I remember right.

Happy days

Hi  I was born in  48 and went to the village school lowedges school and green hill later at 12 to Jordanthorpe it was new and a girls school I remember miss Prebble she was head mistress and miss beach science teacher and one of my form teachers

Edited by Cleoriley

On 25/11/2018 at 17:04, Billam said:

My uncle and aunt lived on Atlantic Road, Gordon and Jean Dyke, I went to Jordanthorpe in the 60s.

I lived on Gervase avenue  and I went to  Jordanthorpe  girls school in the 60   

Does anyone remember allsops  it was a coach that came round and sold groceries and fruit vegetable well just about anything you wanted it was before the shops were built 

Jeff  if I remember right was his grocery coach that used to come round before shops were built 

Just seen this thread , I didn't live on the lowedges estate t but lived in Greenhill ,was born in 56 and went to Greenhill junior's and jordanthorpe ,only name i recognise was podge irvine sure we are in the same class and played footy together , 

Grew up with fradley twins Mick and Robert from Greenhill village

Remember shop didn’t there parents own the shop in village 

Hi did any one know Trevor Colley he lived on Lowedges untill1967 he went to Jordon Thorpe and left in 1955

Hi I lived on Lowedges from 1954to 1971 I have heard or knew most people mentioned on this forum new Tom Field and many more .I can remember Ditchfields news agent when he had a cabin before the shops were built .Lived on Lupton Drive next door to the Woods .I knew Eric Jackson, Harry Perry, Mervin Wasdon went to Jordanthorpe untill 1966 .I still see John Ellis .Left Sheffield in 1985 live in Spalding South Lincs  

Knew tom field well glad he is still with us , regards Red  

Hi. Grew up on Becket Road in the 60’s and 70’s. Lived opposite Becket Walk and down the road from the Swinburns, Gibbons, Smiths, Mills and Seniors and opposite from Chris, Amanda Bullen, Derek Spooner, Tina, Mandy and Paul Sellers. Played either in the top square or the triangle with what seemed like dozens of kids. Went to Bradway County and Jordanthorpe Schools. Didn’t realise it at the time, but turns out that I wouldn’t have swapped it for the world.

On 01/08/2020 at 19:45, scowley said:

Hi. Grew up on Becket Road in the 60’s and 70’s. Lived opposite Becket Walk and down the road from the Swinburns, Gibbons, Smiths, Mills and Seniors and opposite from Chris, Amanda Bullen, Derek Spooner, Tina, Mandy and Paul Sellers. Played either in the top square or the triangle with what seemed like dozens of kids. Went to Bradway County and Jordanthorpe Schools. Didn’t realise it at the time, but turns out that I wouldn’t have swapped it for the world.

Lowedges was the biggest and best playground we could have had as kids in the 1960's. 

I never thought of the 13 storeys at the top of Becket Road as an eyesore. It was great to see it when you were travelling home, although as a kid you did think that if it fell down it would topple like a tree. In the 60’s it snowed in winter and Becket Road was great to sledge down, from top to bottom (if you were lucky). If you wanted to skate on ice then there was a great run down the path on Becket Crescent. We built a 6 ft tall (probably only 4 ft , if that!) snowman in the middle of the road on Atlantic Drive. It was still there after the rest of the snow had melted. No one complained. In summer we made do with a roller skate and a Beano annual (before skateboards were heard of) to bomb down the road. At 7.30 every evening Mr Whippy would stop outside the Smiths. He didn’t have a chime, he just blew his horn. I’d have an oyster shell. On Sundays the pop man would stop outside our house in his lorry selling tizer and dandelion and burppop. Not many people had cars. Gilbert next door had a series of bubble cars. Later I found out that they were made by BMW (how posh). My dad had clapped out wrecks. One of them was (we thought) parked outside, until someone said that it had rolled down the road, across people’s front gardens and was stopped by the steps on the flats at the bottom. Another day, it could have ended up in Lisa Balls front room. No one complained.

Hi does anyone remember any members of the Hicks family?