Lowedges- in the 50s, 60s and 70s

I lived at. Woodseats but my aunt and uncle lived on Lowedges, Gordon and Jean Dyke.

Did you live just off Abbey Lane?

I knew Jean and Gordon very well, your cousin Martin was one of my best mates and Ruby was mates with my sister, Dave mates with my brother.

Are you still in touch with them? (I know Jean and Gordon passed away, I did speak to Gordon shortly before he died.

I knew Jean and Gordon very well, your cousin Martin was one of my best mates and Ruby was mates with my sister, Dave mates with my brother.

Are you still in touch with them? (I know Jean and Gordon passed away, I did speak to Gordon shortly before he died.

Hi, I went to Gordon's funeral, I used to see them a lot when I was younger, especially Dave, he now lives down south I think. My brothers still live in Wooseats, I live in Chesterfield. Unfortunately I only seem to see them at funerals, we seem to have had a lot lately

---------- Post added 27-06-2016 at 10:19 ----------

Hi, I went to Gordon's funeral, I used to see them a lot when I was younger, especially Dave, he now lives down south I think. My brothers still live in Wooseats, I live in Chesterfield. Unfortunately I only seem to see them at funerals, we seem to have had a lot lately. We lived at Olivet Road, my brother Chris lives on Millmount Road, just off Abbey Lane. Edited by Billam
Spelling error.

I was at jordanthorpe school 1966-70 Chris Bullen,anyone still out there?

Hi Chris I remember the name. I was there from 1954 till 1966. I went to all 3 schools their Greenhill village. Greenhill new school then Jordanthorpe that was where I grew up the hard way.Had some great friends up there, but enjoyed it.

Hi johnh. Yes I was on the Lowedges from from 1955 to 1964.I lived on Gresley Road till I got married I came across and made friends with most of them. They were some rogues but most of them were good lads. Richard Maltby was one of my first friends up there. I knew all the Maltby,s. Spooners and the oldest Tony Straker. The Robinsons 3 good lads. Roger Chapman, Jack Jarvice. Syd Parkin. Kieth Blackburn. Alan and Jimmy Ogden. Andrew Stevens. Tony Pearson. the Pearses. Big Roger Smith Bob Simmonite and loads more and every one was different but fun, Once you had either been beat up or you beat them, thats when you were accepted. In them days you grew up quick, but they were dam good days.

---------- Post added 30-06-2016 at 21:56 ----------

Bennets was my moms best butchers. That and the Co op was the only shops she used on the estate. Its now 50 odd years since I left that estate but I am now after all these years only just beginning not to miss it.

Is Mrs Morton in the same house?

I am not sure but do remember the Morton's nice family. but I have not been up there for years.

Hi johnh. Yes I was on the Lowedges from from 1955 to 1964.I lived on Gresley Road till I got married I came across and made friends with most of them. They were some rogues but most of them were good lads. Richard Maltby was one of my first friends up there. I knew all the Maltby,s. Spooners and the oldest Tony Straker. The Robinsons 3 good lads. Roger Chapman, Jack Jarvice. Syd Parkin. Kieth Blackburn. Alan and Jimmy Ogden. Andrew Stevens. Tony Pearson. the Pearses. Big Roger Smith Bob Simmonite and loads more and every one was different but fun, Once you had either been beat up or you beat them, thats when you were accepted. In them days you grew up quick, but they were dam good days.

---------- Post added 30-06-2016 at 21:56 ----------

Bennets was my moms best butchers. That and the Co op was the only shops she used on the estate. Its now 50 odd years since I left that estate but I am now after all these years only just beginning not to miss it.

I remember the Co-op butchers (next to Ditchfields) Three butchers, Len (the manager), Derek and Stan. I think we used to go into Bennetts for broken biscuits.

I didn't live at Low Edges but I went to school with some of the names mentioned on this post.

My first year at senior school in1957 was at the annex of Jordanthorpe Secondary School, this was located in the Old Greenhill County School next to the Church in the village.

One dinner time we were having a kick about in the road by the Church, the ball was one of those half size rubber footballs, one of the lads, young Harold Housley received a pass and hit it on the volley, it went up in the air like a Scud Missile and wedged it's self in a wooden louver window about 50ft up the side of the Church Tower.

I moved back to live in Greenhill 17 years later and the ball was still wedged there in the louver window.

Not heard your name Peter (Salvin ) for over 50 odd years, good to see you have done well for your self, 70year old " still doing a bit" time to throw the towel in me owd luv!!:)

All the best to you all,

I lived at. Woodseats but my aunt and uncle lived on Lowedges, Gordon and Jean Dyke.

Is that the Gordon Dyke who worked at Firth Vickers as a pyro man?

I am not sure where he worked, Gordon was about six feet tall, he was bald all the time I knew him.

If I remember correctly he worked at Firth Browns, is that the same company?