Lowedges- in the 50s, 60s and 70s

Andrew S ?

What a memory, I am gobsmacked !!

i was brought up on lowedges in the 70s, moved off when i was 18, recently moved back on to the estate, but some of the names are familiar, can anyone remember darren jeffcock. and the whymans

Who's this ? Darren Jeffcock was my brother

Hi, my name is Terry Lemons. My brother Keith and myself played with Kenny Cox for the Swan Athletic. More info on Kenny's death - The previous night we played a pre season friendly against Barlow FC at their ground at Barlow. We won 5-0. Kenny got a hat trick and I scored the other 2. We went back to the Barlow FC HQ for refreshments and then went home by coach. This was a Thursday evening. Kenny's mum called him up for work the next morning but was dead before she left his room. He was a very good player and has a dedicated sports headstone in Hutcliffe Wood Graveyard.

Edited by lemmo

Is Mrs Slack still living there? Anyone heard of Bob Williamson's whereabouts?

Bob Williamson was my uncle, He sadly passed away last year.

Came across this by accident,god what memories you brought back,I recognise most of the names.here's a few more can any one remember Robert Osbourne,Keith Holt & John Mathewson(Ossie Spolt & Muff,always together)Paul Robinson Dave Priestley Pete Wright Chris Hannaford Pete Rowland Ray Picking Fred Stones Paul Bennett Pete Hudson Dave Twigg & what about the lasses June Wasden(Wassy I think) Jane Cooper Barbera Elliott Janice Gosling June Mcpherson Marylyn Tyree Pauline Middleton.Anyone remember these I lost touch over the years & would love to hear news of whats happened & where they are now

Gus is now a pathetic elderly bloke who was always a bully when he was backed up by a gang of 10 but couldn't ever punch his way out of a wet paper bag when he was on his own.

As for these stupid stories that the fletchers (or the hansons or the maltbys) RAN anything on lowedges, well the only thing that I can say is that none of these arsehole families ever ran or dictated anything on the estate.The whole say so, as to what was allowed to happen on the estate, was firmly in the hands of someone who would not have even turned a head, such was his anonimity.

Gus maybe an elderly bloke but certainly not pathetic or a bully,who ever you are you don't know him as well as you think.:huh:

Haggis is still on Lowedges , hes on one of them disability scooters now .Haz does odd jobs and visits Thailand , Maltby was killed in Totley Tunnel

Came across this by accident,god what memories you brought back,I recognise most of the names.here's a few more can any one remember Robert Osbourne,Keith Holt & John Mathewson(Ossie Spolt & Muff,always together)Paul Robinson Dave Priestley Pete Wright Chris Hannaford Pete Rowland Ray Picking Fred Stones Paul Bennett Pete Hudson Dave Twigg & what about the lasses June Wasden(Wassy I think) Jane Cooper Barbera Elliott Janice Gosling June Mcpherson Marylyn Tyree Pauline Middleton.Anyone remember these I lost touch over the years & would love to hear news of whats happened & where they most sweetest kindest people i ever met

i know one of these on the list

Edited by gladwell64

i was brought up on lowedges in the 70s, moved off when i was 18, recently moved back on to the estate, but some of the names are familiar, can anyone remember darren jeffcock. and the whymans

WHYMANS LIVED NEAR TO US AT FIRTH PARK THEY WERE FROM LOWEDGES? ANOTHER OLD MATE IS PETE ANGUS? STILL UP THERE SOMEWHERE:huh:

Hi I was on the lowedges 1956 -67 I remember a lot of the people mentioned

Alan & Jimmy ogden Kieth Blackburn maltbys Sid can,t remember his second name.Went to school with Alan ogden He was not as bad has he is being painted.Problem with Alan was he had a limp.So he tried to prove he was harder than anyone else.I also remember Ian Green Harold Housely Tony Pearson.If you want a hard man off the Lowedges it was Pearson trust me.

The girls I remember the turly sisters,Julie Battle ,Anita Smith,Pat oates,

Joan Grainger does any one know what became of them all

Edited by ARKIMEDES

Does anyone remember when the youth club opened? I think it was about 1971 or '72. Remember going to Skeggy with the youth club about '73. Spent all day in a pub drinking rum n black - so ill I cannot stand the smell of the stuff now. Old man Martins caravan behind Maggi for sweets. Broken biscuits from Bennetts(?) Playing football in park all day. Drinking in Grennel Mower. DJ at the Magpie on a Monday night - was it Tearing Trev? Going up to Bradway carol singing because we thought they had more money up there. To start with, the bus from town would stop at Norton, 4 lane ends and we had to walk home from there. Then it was the 38 service. Then it was 42 and 53. 76 came later. It was a great place to grow up. Even the youth club was advanced compared to church halls.

Edited by abbeyedges
punctuation