Lowedges- in the 50s, 60s and 70s

Hi Riffraff

Thanks for the reply to my thread about Dave O'Brien. It would be the same one, he also had a brother called Pat.

The last I hered of him was back in the 70's when he decided to go and work in Austrailia, just after marrying a gairl called Val.

I just wondeered if you knew where he was know.

I also remember a guy who hung around with us in the magpie called, Chris Morton.......

Cheers matey

Jauntyone....

Nah...admit I haven't seen D O'B (or any of 'em for that matter) since the day I left school in '67/8....

Other classmates at the time were Max Clarke, Ian Bott, John Coupe, Paul Gregory, Martin Havenhand, Ian Corker, Ray Ashcroft, the Fox twins...I'm sure others'll come to me....oh...Max Brook has just occured to me...others to follow....

There you go! Pete Cowan as well.....

Hi Riffraff

I also remember a guy who hung around with us in the magpie called, Chris Morton.......

Cheers matey

I believe that Chris married a girl called Vivienne and lived on Gervase (Avenue?) near Greenhill Parkway in the early 1980s. He moved to either Batemoor or Jordanthorpe in the mid 1980s.

If I remember correctly, he had the 'Mortons Scissors' shop near the dole office on West Street in those days.

Hi Johnh

I used to live at Lowedges in the late 60's.I drank very often in the pubs you mentioned.

I can Az and Haggis, we were good buddies, there was also Dave Ladeler, Chris Morton,Phil Howard, Geoff Bruce and Dave O'Brien. Have lost track of all them now, but if you know wherebout of any mentioned please let me know. cheers matey.

I think Haggis is still around Low Edges, or at least he was the last time I saw him about 2 years ago. His sister lives at the top of Gresley Rd, near the bus terminus. I think she may work in the chippy.

He spawned the Son of Satan when his lad was born. B*****d was always in and out of the nick from being a teenager and finally ended up doing a 10 stretch for battering an old lady about the head with a chair leg, just because she woke up while he was burgling her flat. :nono:

I understand that it has been made clear that he will not be welcome, or safe, should he return to the area when he comes out. :wink:

Jauntyone....

Trevor Caswell and David Higginbotham too....

Your story about Haggis ranh a bell too : kid called Harris in my year at school, but don't think in my class....(if you see what I mean!)

Thanks Hagar for the info on Chris Morton, will have to check him out one day. He was a reallygood friend, we joined the TA along with Phill Howard, Geoff Bruce, such happy days.

Cheers Mate

Thanks once again riffraff for your info,

cheers matey

hi to all who posted re lowedges, i lived on low edges drive from 1954 to 1968,

lived opposite jim & alan ogden, always got on with jim, always wary of alan.

im assuming that the gus you talk about was gus tomkins, at school his brother steve was a big hitter, he joined the army and rumour has it he did well. dave o'brian was one of my best mates for over 15 years along with phil & bob wragg, the dakin brothers, brian & linda blades, pat pinder, steve austin & ken bratby, all of us livedon the drive or low edges cresent, there were loads of us from of the estate that congregated on the maggy wall or the shops, mick brown, billy ash, haggis (patrick atkinson) ossie, spud (steve rose) alan roberts, robbo, mick, steve & roy mullins, mick irvine, and many more, could fill abook with the names, we all drank in maggy, norton hotel,

white swan and hart, be interesting if any of the names out of this list are on this site, if you want any more info let me know

phailig

Hi phailig

Yep I remember Jim Ogden and Alan, used to knock around with Jimmy O. As you said,Jimmy was a good bloke but Alan so different.

I remember Bob Wragg, we used to call him Bert. Haggis, Well I knew him but never trusted him, just something about him.

We used to all meet up in the Maggie on a Sunday evening, from there we used to go to the Norton and quite often on to the Greyhound in Dronfield.

We also used to go to Coal Aston, cross Daggers, and a few other pubs there.

Do you remember Buggsie, (Graham) can't for life ofme think of his surname.

There was also az, Dave Ladler, Phil Howard, & Geoff Bruce.

Dave O'Brian was also a very good friend of mine,I used to work with him at a place called Stephenson Blakes. I knew his girl friend, Val, now his wife,such a lovely girl. Dave also had a brother called, Pat.

Cant'nt think of anymore.

Cheers for the info

jauntyone.

hi jauntyone

yes i remember buggsy if i remember right his surname was mullryan, i dont remember az or chris morton, but i remember loads of the old crowd who used to go to school at bradway county, jordanthorpe and rowlinson, there were also plenty of girls that used to be around the maggy, mary jackson, rea stockdale (recently been in a bit of trouble) anne barrow, sue ogden, dave o'briens mrs val, joyce peat, carol knowles and barbara white (both from woodseats, strange i can remember the lads names but not so many of the girls, some more lads, kenny cox, jim polfryman, mick, terry and phil hempshall, keith cooper, mick brown, dave hill, ronnie & dennis hill, they lived in maisonette opposit maggy and mick hotchin, we all spent hours around the pub, i even finished up in the maggy on my wedding night. if i can remember any more names i will put them on here,

see ya later

phailig

Hi phailig

Do you remember Buggsie, (Graham) can't for life ofme think of his surname.

There was also az, Dave Ladler, Phil Howard, & Geoff Bruce.

Cheers for the info

jauntyone.

Was az actually Harold Lawrence, who went on to marry a girl called Barbara and lived next to the Shop-on-End at the end of Low Edges Road, in the 1980s?