Lowedges- in the 50s, 60s and 70s

Wrong about that one mate, I knew the Ogdens, Alan Ogden in particular. He lived with a very good friend of mine about 20 years ago and was really good with his fists, as she found out to her cost on several occasions. :nono:

That particular scenario was brought to a close when he was given a good bashing one dark evening by an anonymous assailant who told him it had happened for the last time and that it was better to leave while he still had the ability to walk. He left a week later when he came out of the hospital.

Who was the mystery assailant?

Nobody was ever charged and I could not possibly comment or speculate on the matter. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Really hard those Ogdens!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFPMSL :wink:

can any remeber my dad kev green

I still bump into Irene occaisionally. Usually in Morrisons.

Hi Camelot, Remember me 'The Guy who lives in Essex' to Irene when you see her in Morrisons.

Hi Camelot, Remember me 'The Guy who lives in Essex' to Irene when you see her in Morrisons.

Don't know when that will be but I will try to remember. Little grey cells don't work as well as they used too :loopy:

Guess you must be off Lowedges too??

Hi again Camelot. Know the feeling about the grey cells. Talking about when I was 19 just coming up to 62. Used to live just up the road in Bradway. Had lots of friends in Lowedges, Greenhill (and Totley) but can’t remember the names. Brother & sister think she was Eleanor. Went to Abbeydale. He had odd nickname went to High Stores. Anther lived just across the road from Bradway School. Jim Jackson, dad had the supermarket was my ‘best man’. All used to walk to Norton Dance. Uncle who lived on Lupton Road. Met Sue through a girl at work when I was a Trainee Manager for BHS

Hi again Camelot. Know the feeling about the grey cells. Talking about when I was 19 just coming up to 62. Used to live just up the road in Bradway. Had lots of friends in Lowedges, Greenhill (and Totley) but can’t remember the names. Brother & sister think she was Eleanor. Went to Abbeydale. He had odd nickname went to High Stores. Anther lived just across the road from Bradway School. Jim Jackson, dad had the supermarket was my ‘best man’. All used to walk to Norton Dance. Uncle who lived on Lupton Road. Met Sue through a girl at work when I was a Trainee Manager for BHS

Wow that's a load of info. Ok just to decipher it. You didn't mention which school you went to. I'm assuming that your friends went to Abbeydale (him) and High Storrs (her) as they were boy and girls schools in that order at that time. Not sure which one you went to though. I am 55 and lived on Lowedges near the fire station. It is very possible that I know some of the people you know as I have a brother who has just turned 63 but he went to Jordanthorpe and I knew a lot around his age range because he had to babysit me.

I had aspirations to be in the chior. I remember Mrs Duckenfield now. I was born in 1954 so you may be a year older than me. ..

Movies Online

download movies

download animation

Hiya not necessarily. I was born in January 1955 so depends what month of 1954 you were born in.

I had aspirations to be in the chior. I remember Mrs Duckenfield now. I was born in 1954 so you may be a year older than me. ..

Movies Online

download movies

download animation

p.s I also fancied myself in the choir but ended up in Miss White's recorder group. Happy days

It's like stepping back in time. I remember a lot of these names. I was born in 1952 and lived opposite the health centre on gervase drive. My mum was cleaner at the health centre when I was young and then progressed to receptionist. I remember she worked with Mrs Burns (who had 2 boys Peter and Patrick). I remember the first doctors there were Dr. Crawford and Dr. Atkin. Before the Health centre was built the doctors were housed in the flats opposite where the Health centre now stands. I remember before the shops were completed there were some pre-fab type buildings. Does anyone remember Ditchfields the newsagents and Stringfellows the drapers. My best friend was Elizabeth Neil. I also remember Rosilyn Moore, the Douglas's, Joy Robinson, Pauline Middleton, Anne Booker, the Boons. Steven, Michael and Katherine Pegg. I remember being really good at skating and bombing down Lupton Road at top speed. When I started school I was in Mrs Hinchcliffe's (I think) class, then a really nice older lady with grey hair (can't remember her name). In juniors I remember Mrs Meggitt and was really sad when she left to have a baby. I remember the bottom field before it was a park and going for a nature walk with the teacher. I also remember when the bottom field/park flooded and the cows came over into the park. My sister was born 5 years before me and my brother 5 years after so have got many memories of times on Lowedges - when it didn't have a bad reputation.

Hi Rozie

Your mum wouldn't be Edna would it? If so I have worked with her. I remember Dr Crawford, he looked after me when I had the measles. Can't remember Dr Atkin though.

I also remember Ditchfields and Stringfellows. Don't know many of the names you've mentioned but they would have been older than me. I do know some of the Douglas girls though and their mum Minnie (if that's the family you mean).

Hi Camelot

Yes that was my mum. She died last December. I am sure I will know you. I knew most of the people she worked with over the years. I remember Minnie Douglas very well.

Hi Rozie

Your mum wouldn't be Edna would it? If so I have worked with her. I remember Dr Crawford, he looked after me when I had the measles. Can't remember Dr Atkin though.

I also remember Ditchfields and Stringfellows. Don't know many of the names you've mentioned but they would have been older than me. I do know some of the Douglas girls though and their mum Minnie (if that's the family you mean).

Dr Crawford.... Whatever you presented with he would turn around and get a book to look up what to prescribe :hihi: