Lowedges- in the 50s, 60s and 70s

Anyone remember Mr. Strutt the parkeeper who locked the swings at night

I was born in 1955 and we lived near the fire station on Lowedges Road. I went to Lowedges (Bradway County) school from the infants to 4th juniors. I was in Mrs Meggitts class in 1b but she went on mat leave and Mr Read (old pop mental) took over for the rest of the year. In yr 2 I was with Miss White, Yr 3 Mr Brown and 4b Miss Bedford. I was also in the recorder group that Miss White ran.

Crikey, there's a name from the past ... pop mental ... I'd forgotten all about him! Do you remember Miss Vick, headmistress of the infants who used to smell of fags? I remember Mr Strutt the park keeper who used to lock the swings! Woodbine Annie who used to jog around the area with a fag in her mouth. Do any of you remember Basher, the nutcase who wanted to fight everyone?

Anybody on here lived on the Low-edges in the 50s and 60s. I lived on Atlantic road and went to Low-edges primary school. Does anyone remember the launderette opening and getting free tokens for washing!

Would be interested to talk with old friends from that time:)

I can remember people being re-housed from around Little London Place and going to live on the Low Edges around 1964? or 1969.

At that time they thought that the estate was a wonderful place to live and I would think it would have been hard to obtain a tenancy at that time.

I believe a great mistake was eventually made by stopping the collection of rents at the tenants doorways because this contact with the housing officer enabled the conveyance of problems direct to the local housing manager via the rent officer.

These days, The problems are filtered through someone who works in a area office. Often they are not concerned or particularly interested in matters that does not concern themselves.

I have complained about a wrong co loured tile that is fixed as a replacement, to the roof of lock up garages close to where I live. Nothing is done or will be done, because those receiving the complaint do not live near bye.

This is also one reason, why shortly, most people who work for Sheffield Homes Ltd. Will be made redundant when their jobs are transfered to someone who is concerned.

my grandad charles burnand & nan peggy lived at 104 atlantic rd,lowedges they had 7kids,all daughters bar a son called derek,do you or any 1 remember this family?

Yeah, I remember the Burnand family, god that takes me back !!

thats right. thier mum still lives on lowedges , saw phil in berni not long ago

Is Mrs Morton still in the same house?

Hi to everyone who posted. I have lived o Lowedges for most of my life and know just about everyone mentioned plus a few more. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned John Brear (RIP) He was a good bloke. Ozzie doesn't seem to have had a mention either.

Hi to everyone who posted. I have lived o Lowedges for most of my life and know just about everyone mentioned plus a few more. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned John Brear (RIP) He was a good bloke. Ozzie doesn't seem to have had a mention either.

used to know john brear , haggiss ,and most people on lowedges .

i moved from 328 gervaise ave when i was around 7 years old my father is called peter richardson & he used to virtually live at the white hart pub, he also parked the blue c,r,pursehouse lorry that he drove in the small layby opposite the maisonette block by the main road, , i remember a family on our block who's surname was wilkinson, & i think the lady next door was called martha, my mother pat also worked at a local wine shop just down the road from the church by the roundabout, i also remember the barnes family were good friends of ours. happy days :cool:

I was born at home in Lowedges 1968..7 Lupton Drive. My dad was Keith Woods,mum Andrea,Sisters Mandy,Adele,brothers Julian,Heath,Clinton,Todd and myself Shane.Mum n Dad used to go in the Magpie with Susan Parkin n her husband,(they divorced and she moved to Redcar)I can't really add much as i was a bit young,but i remember the Hansons,Jane,Buster,Mark and Jill.Think i can remember Magpie landlord,did he have a big red nose?or was he just a customer?Clinton went on to be a World Champion boxer.

My grandma and grandad lived on gresley road 1963 onwards and i think my uncle peter is still there.

I new Jimmy and his brother Allan, yjey lived on the cres.

My family lived in the block of houses called Lowedges (Chesterfield Road South) 21 houses if I remember.(The Ellis family lived at 21)

I didn't see much of Jim once I passed the age of 16 that was 46 years ago.

Lowedges was a good place then The Magpie, Grenal moor (which I frequented in the late 60's as my father stayed in the houses I mentioned until he died in 82.

I heard that the Magpie deterieted (bad clientell) later 70/80's so I hear.

I even had a part time job at the Magpie approx 1966/67