Shopping In Chapeltown In The Fifties

Hello! I've just been browsing this topic, with great interest I might add!!! I have a question for those historians out there! Does anybody remember there being a shop at the end house on Smith Street around the 1950's?? I have been told that it was once a sandwich hop that served Parramore's foundry!

Any info would be great, thanks

No 63 was the "top" shop on Smith street. In was run by the Hendrys before being taken over by the Hardwicks and finally Christine Cooper.( Then it was known as Christines shop! ) It reverted to being a house around the time when Parramores closed.

No 13 was Garratts shop.

Edited by satman2222

Thanks Satman for the info, would love to see a picture of No' 63 as a shop, would also love to see a picture of Parramores, seem to be quite rare?

My GG Grandad used to have a photographers and hairdressers on Station Road. Number 31 i think, which is where the chippy is now. Charles Parkin and son i think it was called. I have an old photo with this printed on it. Does anyone know anything about him? Would be interested to know if there are any other of his photos around, in history books etc.

I know this is an old thread but I was reminded driving through this morning of The Handyman's Shop under the bridge, sold everything from nails to onion sets. The little building is still there and I think it was a kitchen sales outlet at one time, not sure what it is now.

Satman2222 I. Lived at No 2 MarketSt Chapeltown for the first year of my life at that time it was joined on to the waggon and horses and Platts chip shop in front of it that was my address on my birth certificate, went past Royal Oak today and they were working on it so let's wait and see what is going on.

Great photo of The Yorkshire Penny Bank and the 73 bus from High Green. The map has some interesting features, the railway lines to Newton Chambers, the sidings behind the park, Caledonian Iron Foundry and the bowling green & tennis courts side of Newton Hall.

Brought up here, so many changes. Remember the little toy shop under the bridge as a child? always used to look through the window when passing.

The man who owned the Handymans shop had a daughter called Morag and she was a hairdresser at Stages at Hoyland Common.

Does anyone remember the shop on the right of THIS picture. Looks like a Diner, I can't make out the name. Its the same shop as where the Pizza hut is now. I used to live in the flats on the left of the picture (Hallamshire Court) but I don't remember that shop.