Vista to xp problem with laptop

:confused:I bought a new HP dv9780ea laptop which unfortunately came with vista home on it. I'm having really problems loading xp on it as the sata drives aren't compatible so it won't detect the hard drives.

Does anyone know of a way round this or come across the same problem?:confused:

You need to download the sata drivers then press F6 as the setup starts and stick the disk in. Or get a release of XP which has service pack 2 included as it will probably have the SATA drivers on.

The only ways I know of to get round this are to:

1) Get a floppy drive with the relevant sata drivers on, then at the start of the XP install when it asks you to push F6 to install third party drivers to push F6 like a madman. This should then look for drivers on the floppy disk (assuming you have one on the laptop - I'm not sure if external USB floppy drives work).

2) Get a copy of nLite, make an iso image of your windows XP disk and then slipstream the relevant drivers into the install. You can then burn the newly edited image back to disk and install from that and it should pick up your hard disks as normal. This will probably mean some research and a fair bit of googling (it did for me) but is well worth it, as you can also tune your username/serial number/account settings etc and make the process fully automated if you wish.

Hope that helps,

Taking a stab at this, as stated unless you have a nice slipstreamed version of XP and i expect there will be a fair few SFers using these < :hihi::thumbsup:

There are countless versions knocking around these are all custom builds with various included drivers and software incroporated.

Looking at your lappy it's a Intel Crestline-PM PM965 chipset with an ICH8(M) i did an XP build on a AMD based dv97xx a while back.

Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family

Here's the link for the drivers

Creates floppy disk for 32-bit OS with Intel® Matrix Storage Manager 8.5.0.1032 files - used to preinstall RAID driver (F6 during Windows* setup).

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=2800&DwnldID=16759&strOSs=44&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Professional&lang=eng

As posted get a USB Floppy (works) or a USB Stick (this should work)

If you have a floppy drive just run the file and let it unpack.

If you are using a USB Stick unpack all the files then copy to your stick.

The other option with a slight performance decrease is to check the bios can you set the SATA compatability AHCI/Standard? This will allow you to install XP without the added hassle of using the drivers.

** Important **

You normally cannot easily change from using AHCI to stardard (and vice versa) once you do the install.

contact the help center from Hp and they will help you.