Anyone remember the massive fair at Oaks park

Whilst out with the dogs in oaks park the other day my mind was taken back to being a kid in the seventies and the school holidays when there used to be a massive fun fair in the park... kids used to flock from miles around clutching 50p to try and make themselves sick on the many rides and do nuts and candy floss.. oh halcyon days !!! whatever happened to the fair ?? why did they stop having the fair in oaks park ??? The park is really good for metal detecting nowadays though :thumbsup:

Yes I do recall the times when the fair came to Oaks Park every year, when younger we used to watch at the edge of the school field for the traction engines and lines of caravans going up White Lane.

Getting all excited as it heralded the arrival of the fair, then pestering parents to go!

Later in life, I used to stable a horse at the farm next door to Oaks park, then dreaded the arrival of the fair....hordes of slappers from the council estate opposite, looking for fair lads...and often causing probs for us with what they left behind...no fun.

I believe it was The Whittings family fair, which also visited Herdings park and also the field at the bottom of Fox Lane.

Vaguely remember the fair but think that just went off to pastures new. The circus was banned from coming back because of the horrendous mess they left over it's last two years of appearing. Bit's of scrap metal, black bin bags full of goodness k nows what and the general litter in every hedge .The field in places was quite soft going and the big vehicles made ruts over a foot deepas when they got stuck rather than digging them out they'd just gun the engine madly making the ruts even bigger.

...me too used to love this fair -- i am sure it was owned by " Lings " early 70"s . Theres a great picture (and others) of the fair gradually departing at - http://www.gleadless.net - ,click on ariel veiws and scroll down to " The Oakes and Oakes Park 1980 ".

Whilst out with the dogs in oaks park the other day my mind was taken back to being a kid in the seventies and the school holidays when there used to be a massive fun fair in the park... kids used to flock from miles around clutching 50p to try and make themselves sick on the many rides and do nuts and candy floss.. oh halcyon days !!! whatever happened to the fair ?? why did they stop having the fair in oaks park ??? The park is really good for metal detecting nowadays though :thumbsup:

Was that the one up near the Water Tower ? If it is I certainly do remember it.

Was that the one up near the Water Tower ? If it is I certainly do remember it.

...yes across the road beside the cricket pitch :thumbsup:

I used to work on the fair - on the big wheel, which was replaced by the 'meteorite'. Used to travel all over S.Yorks, kipping in the back of the jenny wagon. Can't remember the owner but the other (main) guy who worked there was John.

I used to work on the fair - on the big wheel, which was replaced by the 'meteorite'. Used to travel all over S.Yorks, kipping in the back of the jenny wagon. Can't remember the owner but the other (main) guy who worked there was John.

i also worked on the fair worked on waltzer, dodgems, and the speedway it was joseph ling i worked for and his son david had the speedway oh happy days

Used to love the speedway, hanging on the bars on the outside with just your legs holding you on.

I have been trying to remember the name of the guy who owned the big wheel but I can't remember. Did you work at any of the other sites - did a lot in Donny (Rossington I thing was one) and the massive fair in Hull.

Those were the days.....

i can remember two rides very well ... The waltzer and skyrider both of which relieved you of all the loose change in your trouser pockets :suspect: and the carnies would never let you try and get it back from under the seats!!! the scrotes... I did once however pick up a £5 note that one of the fair lads lost out of his pocket whilst fumbling about for change !! did i give it him back ???? GET STUFFED :hihi: :hihi: :thumbsup: did we have one hell of a day at the fair that day especially when the rides were only 10p each :D:D

i remember going up there as a little kid and being scared silly by the circus people ... :lol: