Darnall memories.

Does anyone remember my Mum, Margaret Jones. Went to Phillimore School with John Abdy and would have now been age 69 at the end of this month, if still with us.

Lived on Jubilee Road. She was a great mum and I miss her loads.

I remember Peter and John Abdy from Phillimore School and of course your mum who we still think and talk about.Doreen still talks about the weekend they spent in Blackpool

Pie Shop Lad - I remember that I went to school with a girl called Margaret Williams and I seem to recall that she had some connection to the pie shop or small grocery store on Poole Road. Wasn't greasy Alf's on poole rd (he used to spit in the fat to see if it was hot enough for the fish cakes )

Different pie shop Ibn Batotah,my grandmother's shop was on Darnall Main Road opposite the top of Britannia Road.

I grew up in Darnall and have lots of happy memories. My mom worked at the little dick cinema so I was there a lot. I worked at Childes chemist, and at the Lyric at night when it was a cinema,It then changed to one of the 1st Bingo halls that was an experience, I put hoops on the numbers on a large board when they were called,much different to the computerized games we are now familiar with.Does anyone else remember this?

Different pie shop Ibn Batotah,my grandmother's shop was on Darnall Main Road opposite the top of Britannia Road.

I think I remember that now although it was before the days that I really appreciated the pie culture of Sheffield. In later years I think it became a chippy. What was the name of the mini department store on the corner of Britannia Road. They sold toys in the first unit and household stuff further into the shop. It always smelled of leather and never had any customers. Whenever you went in, you would soon realise you were the only customers in there.

I grew up in Darnall and have lots of happy memories. My mom worked at the little dick cinema so I was there a lot. I worked at Childes chemist, and at the Lyric at night when it was a cinema,It then changed to one of the 1st Bingo halls that was an experience, I put hoops on the numbers on a large board when they were called,much different to the computerized games we are now familiar with.Does anyone else remember this?

I do remember Sandorasbox,I probably knew you if you worked in Child's chemist though you would more likely know my gran who was tiny and had very bowed legs.I remember the old Child's shop with the huge apothecary bottles in the window and the baby weighing scales,then it was modernised in the 1960's.I used to go next door to Gowers and Burgons to buy dried peas and steepers for my grans pie shop.I remember the Lyric going over to Bingo,I think Pat Phoenix (Elsie Tanner) from Coronation Street officially opened it,I was outside in the crowd waiting to see her.

I think I remember that now although it was before the days that I really appreciated the pie culture of Sheffield. In later years I think it became a chippy. What was the name of the mini department store on the corner of Britannia Road. They sold toys in the first unit and household stuff further into the shop. It always smelled of leather and never had any customers. Whenever you went in, you would soon realise you were the only customers in there.

I think that shop was called HUKINS but older people always called it Bon Marche'

I lived in Darnall on Station Road; the club trips used to go from the train station to cleethorpes; they would file past our house and Mum would say 'get your coat on' ready for the trip. You were given a little brown envelope with spendos in. I also used to go to the Church of Engand School at the bottom of the road and mum would come with a cup of oxo in the winter at playtimes. We used to go to storeys for our bread; I used to love the smell of the freshly baked bread. We used to have trolleys and ride from the top of the road down to the little close opposite the school; not much traffic then; one Easter I had my new clothes on and the dress I was wearing got torn; Mum was not best pleased. I have photos of myself in the Whitsun parades with my straw bonnet and basket with flowers walking along Main Road. We had picnics in High Hazels park. The kids of today have lost the joys of wandering all over and exploring. I was 9 when we left to our new house in Hackenthorpe. The family lived in a 3 storey house, which is still up; there was mum & dad, me, grandma and grandad, Aunt Nell and then when my cousin, who was much older, came back from Germany(he had been demobbed) with his wife and 3 kids in the attic space. The tin bath was put in front of the fire on Sunday night (mum, dad & me were in the basement) and Mum would shout upstairs that we were in the bath. My friend Stephanie had a bathroom on the close (forget the name) and an indoor toilet, but they did have a business.

I lived in Darnall on Station Road; the club trips used to go from the train station to cleethorpes; they would file past our house and Mum would say 'get your coat on' ready for the trip. You were given a little brown envelope with spendos in. I also used to go to the Church of Engand School at the bottom of the road and mum would come with a cup of oxo in the winter at playtimes. We used to go to storeys for our bread; I used to love the smell of the freshly baked bread. We used to have trolleys and ride from the top of the road down to the little close opposite the school; not much traffic then; one Easter I had my new clothes on and the dress I was wearing got torn; Mum was not best pleased. I have photos of myself in the Whitsun parades with my straw bonnet and basket with flowers walking along Main Road. We had picnics in High Hazels park. The kids of today have lost the joys of wandering all over and exploring. I was 9 when we left to our new house in Hackenthorpe. The family lived in a 3 storey house, which is still up; there was mum & dad, me, grandma and grandad, Aunt Nell and then when my cousin, who was much older, came back from Germany(he had been demobbed) with his wife and 3 kids in the attic space. The tin bath was put in front of the fire on Sunday night (mum, dad & me were in the basement) and Mum would shout upstairs that we were in the bath. My friend Stephanie had a bathroom on the close (forget the name) and an indoor toilet, but they did have a business.

My Dad Tom used to be the piano player at The Wellington in the early 70s, he was there right up until he died in 1974. I hear it's closed down now.

We went through that way this year and yes sadly it has. My Grandad always went to the Wellington; My Gran used to make me go to the little window in the wall there with ajug and have it filled with her bitter; I would be about 9

Does anyone remember my Mum, Margaret Jones. Went to Phillimore School with John Abdy and would have now been age 69 at the end of this month, if still with us.

Lived on Jubilee Road. She was a great mum and I miss her loads.

Ilived on Jubilee Road. dont remember your mum though ,I went to school with Susan Holt,Denise Cooper, Julie Brookes, Kim Crapper, and Josie Stubbs,happy days, Im Anita Edge by the way

My Mum was born in Darnall and lived on Jubilee Road as a little girl, so I have a lot of memories of going to visit my Grandma there when I was a kid.

My Grandma's sister lived on Basford Street just a few roads away, which always seemed a lot posher to me back then than Jubilee Road though, and me and my sister used to get into trouble for calling it Bas**d Street!! :hihi: which at the time, we thought was hilarious.

As a teenager, I remember Susan Clarke's hair dressers on the Darnall main road.

i was also born on jubilee rd what was your mum called. and what number did she live at