Hillsborough Shops Of The Past

I might get to the Local Studies Library this week - if so I'll see if I can find the fruit & veg shop in 1950s/60s directories.

No time like the present - Mrs hillsbro and I decided on a pub lunch at the Crosspool Tavern, so I called in the library on the way back! The little fruit & veg. shop was at No 158a Bradfield Road. The property must have been demolished in about 1969, at which time the business was owned by T. LAKE, but until the early 1960s it had been "J. DOLAN & SON, greengrocers". Back in the 1940s it was "Alfred Thomas, boot repairer".

I only had a quick look in the directories and didn't notice a Chapman, but No 135 Bradfield Road was "Ben Chappell, tobacconist" from about 1957 to 1969.

Thanks for that Hillsboro! I worked in the T V repair dept at Monty Thomas's in the early 60's,and Jim would often call round to bring an old part or beg something from us! I well remember the old Armstrong Siddely car of his and him driving it in his old brown trilby hat! As you hint, the stock in his old shop could well be worth a fortune now.............................Happy days.

If you worked for Monty Thomas you will know George S.? He is another old friend of my father's, and used to help me when I was making odd electronic gadgets in the early 1970s. George (by far the best fisherman in Sheffield) and his wife Anne are still going strong in their late 70s. That reminds me - I need to take my old Bush clock radio/TV for George to look at; I have the "Trader" service sheets....

Indeed I remember George well! he was my mentor at Thomas's! a lovely man,quite humble,but hughley knowledgeable when it came to electronics of that era.I knew he fished and I am sure he would have been the same in that direction too.Nice to know that he and Ann are still around,and I still have fond memories of those days.

Does anyone remember Ward's Men's Outfitter's. My grandfather William Ward had it for years. Langtons was on one side and Unwins on the other. Across the Road was Hillsborough Bath's. I know the shop is no longer there. I have lived in Canada since 1968 I was called then Janet Ward. It is lovely reading every-ones messages and it brings back memories. One being Rudyard Road,I used to come home from Morley St and halfway down Rudyard was a little shop on the corner where I would buy my favourite billberry tart. Then try not to walk on the cracks of the pavement. Would love to hear from any-one who remembered my Grandfathers shop. Jan

Thanks for the info hillsbro.

You are quite right...the newsagents was owned by the "Cheethams". I guess my memory is fading somewhat.

What was the name of the furniture store opposite the park probably late 50's early 60's? If you wanted good quality furniture and did'nt want to go accross town to say Ponsfords, that was the place to go, it was a father and son business, might any family members still be involved in that location?

oh yes i so remember hibberbs sweet shop. my friend worked there very bossy.lol/do you remember PORTERS paper shop ? .. with chewing gum machine outside sixpence slot on penistone road LOVERLY XX

What was the name of the furniture store opposite the park probably late 50's early 60's? If you wanted good quality furniture and did'nt want to go accross town to say Ponsfords, that was the place to go, it was a father and son business, might any family members still be involved in that location?

I think that was Harry Slack's furniture store, which indeed had a very good reputation.

Does anyone remember Ward's Men's Outfitter's. My grandfather William Ward had it for years. Langtons was on one side and Unwins on the other. Across the Road was Hillsborough Bath's. I know the shop is no longer there. I have lived in Canada since 1968 I was called then Janet Ward. It is lovely reading every-ones messages and it brings back memories. One being Rudyard Road,I used to come home from Morley St and halfway down Rudyard was a little shop on the corner where I would buy my favourite billberry tart. Then try not to walk on the cracks of the pavement. Would love to hear from any-one who remembered my Grandfathers shop. Jan

Yes Janet I lived down Rudyard Road and went to morley street School.

I lived in the same yard as the shop you are talking about.

I remember Wards but only just and I remember Unwins and Langtons and Burgins the end shop on that row but I can't remember the shop in between perhaps Hillsbro may jog our memories.

Down Rudyard Road there was four small shops three grocers and Baxters fruit shop.

I think that was Harry Slack's furniture store, which indeed had a very good reputation.

Harry Slacks furniture shop is still there Now goes under the name

hs Furnishings.

Yes Janet I lived down Rudyard Road and went to morley street School.

I lived in the same yard as the shop you are talking about.

I remember Wards but only just and I remember Unwins and Langtons and Burgins the end shop on that row but I can't remember the shop in between perhaps Hillsbro may jog our memories.

Down Rudyard Road there was four small shops three grocers and Baxters fruit shop.

I can only give details of shops as in the 1973 Kelly's Directory, but here is a scan of the relevant section, with shops between Bamforth Street and Hillsborough Corner:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/LangsettRoad1973.jpg

I well remember Langton's, which I think survived longer than the other shops mentioned above, also Wigfall's and the Army Stores. And who hasn't taken their schoolbag to be repaired at Burgin's?!! The shop can be seen in the background of this photo, taken from a painting of the No 31 bus as it turned into Forbes Road:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/222.jpg