Hillsborough Shops Of The Past

Does anyone remember Randy's chip shop? top of Rudyard Road.

Also the other shops on Rudyard Road.

Baxters fruit shop ...

I seem to remember a chip shop but it's going back a long time - maybe c. 1960. I also remember a fruit shop on Rudyard Road, by the bottom corner of Treswell Crescent - perhaps this was Baxter's. There was a shoe shop on the corner of Rudyard Road, opposite the Yorkshire Bank - maybe Langton's?

The Fish and Chip shop was Randy,sThe fruit shop was Baxters and there was a shop on the other two corners and a shop just below Randy,s how did they all survive and make a profit five small corner shops on Rudyard Road and all the Hillsborough shops at the top of the road.Yes the shoe shop was Langtons.

Anyone on SF from Rudyard Road.

Yes - Mrs Simons was a dear old soul who was well into her 70s when she gave up the shop. She died in 1968, aged 86.

A well-known shop that I was surprised to see had disappeared by 1973 was Howard's Dairy. It was about halfway between the Co-Op and the park, and must have been replaced by Hoole's D-I-Y shop. In summer, Howards used to have a hatch through which they sold ice cream to people passing by on the way to the park etc.

Thomas's radio & TV etc. shop was also quite well-known. At one time they also sold toys, train sets etc. Monty Thomas (who owned most of the property between Barclays Bank and Proctor Place) was in his 90s when he died a few years ago. And of course there was Wigfalls at the corner of Proctor Place - this large firm seemed to just disappear.

I remember in about 1971, Tesh's drapers celebrated 50 years in Hillsborough, with free champagne for customers, but it must have been the dying throes of the business as, even then, independent drapers were fast disappearing.

The 1925 directory mentions Hillsborough National School. Demolished in the 1930s, this stood where Woolworths was built in 1957-58. Nowadays it would have been a listed building with its Dutch gables, bell tower etc. See http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=t01578

What about Hemmings! Maypole! Blaskeys! The Bluebird Chinese! Parkers! Brown the Mutton King!etc.

What about Hemmings! Maypole! Blaskeys! The Bluebird Chinese! Parkers! Brown the Mutton King!etc.

I know - you could go on and on! (Parkers were mentioned early on - the adjacent jeweller's and gents' outfitters shops were owned by two brothers). Blaskeys was a very good shop for wallpaper etc. I remember Hemmines very well. Somewhere I have a 1930s photo showing Hemmines' double-width shop in Holme Lane as it was then, with Miss Wood's toy shop next door. I'll try to find it and scan it. Joseph Hemmines was a real gentleman grocer, in his white apron and horn-rimmed spectacles. In the pre-supermarket days my mum would send me there every Saturday with the weekly order. There was a big red coffee machine on the counter which gave off a lovely smell when beans were being ground, just like Pollards nowadays. Joseph Hemmines died in 1974, aged 81, and the business (with shops in Holme Lane and Wadsley Lane) was inherited by his son Gerald, who was a very likeable chap but he didn't have quite the same flair for business. Gerald sold the Holme Lane property and continued at Wadsley Lane until he retired early in 1977 - the shop is now Granville's. Gerald died in 1985; he was only 62.

Edited by hillsbro
Correction

Does anyone know the name of the Fruit and Veg shop that was on Bradfield Road.......

Before Wilkinson's appeared there was a Church on the land, and just below it by the entrance to the Blue Ball Pub was a tiny Fruit and Veg shop.

Referring to Halibuts post about Manns the fishmonger and in particular the customer service, the shop has changed hands recently. No longer under Mann ownership, but very nice people who have it now.

Jayne

Thanks for confirming this, Jayne - I was going to mention it in my post but I couldn't remember clearly. There was a report in the Star about the business changing hands and I think it mentioned that Peter Mann was going to live in America.

Peter Mann had an accident whilst holidaying in New York - he fell and sustained a serious head injury in Central Park and although he eventually made a good recovery decided it was time to go. The new owners are Christian and Danny Szurko, who also run the Lounge bar on West Street; Christian is a chef who used to buy his fish through Mann's.

Does anyone remember the shops further up from the bottom of Wadsley Lane

on Middlewood Road such as;

Dora Websters bakers

AV Massey electrical

Pinders newsagent at the bottom of Wadsley Lane

The pie shop, where you took a mug for gravy to go with the pie

There was also Newmans paint shop

and a butchers/plumbers together owned by the same family I cant remember the name of and Becks the pet shop.

Peter Mann had an accident whilst holidaying in New York - he fell and sustained a serious head injury in Central Park and although he eventually made a good recovery decided it was time to go. The new owners are Christian and Danny Szurko, who also run the Lounge bar on West Street; Christian is a chef who used to buy his fish through Mann's.

Ah - so that was the link with America; I couldn't remember clearly and ought to have kept the cutting. I know of the Szurkos - I think they live near my cousin at Stannington. It is good to know that the business is in good hands - I hadn't realised until recently that you can order fish on-line from Mann's.

Does anyone remember the shops further up from the bottom of Wadsley Lane

on Middlewood Road such as;

Dora Websters bakers

AV Massey electrical

Pinders newsagent at the bottom of Wadsley Lane

The pie shop, where you took a mug for gravy to go with the pie

There was also Newmans paint shop

and a butchers/plumbers together owned by the same family I cant remember the name of and Becks the pet shop.

Living near the bottom of Dykes Hall Road I don't remember these shops so well, but I do remember that Pinders was a very good newsagent. There was also Oates' radio/TV shop on the corner of Willis Road - the two brothers really knew their stuff and could be relied upon for advice on repairs, what to buy etc. Dora Webster was probably the best bakers in the area. Badgers on the corner of Carlton Road also had the sub-post office until fairly recently. Nearby on Catch Bar Lane was Bert Beach's cycle shop which was taken over by Tony Butterworth in 1964 and is still going strong. Here is a scan of the Middlewood Road shops from the 1973 directory: http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/MiddlewoodRoad.jpg