Hillsborough Shops Of The Past

crobar 3839 Fredericks was the Tailor opposite Hillsboro park two brothers I believe.

On 11/11/2011 at 21:03, bazza63 said:

No one mentions Wilcox furniture shop corner Proctor Place M/Wood Rd,a guy called Checkley was the manager,the owner I think was Jewish he would arrive in a Rolls-Royce about once a week,also on Proctor Place was Elsie Shortlands ladies haidresser. Bingleys flower shop had barrow end of Brier St,Atkin and Ansells furniture makers Ted Froggat was mechanic there,Richard Tregannzas nuts and bolt firm you could go in there and he would find any nut and no matter what size,Don Bakery was also on there, then the" KINEMA PICTURE HOUSE" about 40 M/Wood "Baines clock repairs Mr Baines lived at Worrall, Fletchers Bread shop was further up the Rd about where Nat/west bank is.

I remember Elsie Shortland, I married Heather Young, her top hair stylist. She was Bob Stanley's dance partner when he was the British  dance champion

The TV & Radio shop on Middlewood Rd was Thomas's (M J Thomas) certainly in the 50's thro to the early 80's when it was sold to Williams who already had a TV shop on Chesterfield Rd.  If it was # 12 then the double fronted shop was at a corner with a narrow alley and maybe Woolworths was on the other side of the alley?

Hi Resotta - yes, Monty Thomas (Montagu John Thomas, 1911-2001) had the radio & TV shop. Originally it was at No 10, then No 8 and finally the double-fronted shop you mention at 12-14. Mr Thomas actually owned all the property between Barclays Bank and the corner. Woolworths was just across the alley (which actually has a name, Bradfied Place, but it has never had a sign to my knowledge). Before Woolworths was built the site had been empty since the demolition in 1939 of Hillsborough National School that used to be there.

I remember going to the Kinema fairly regularly in 1958 - 1963 because my girlfriend at the time lived on Ben Lane, Wisewood, the bungalow at the bottom of the driveway to what I think was then some sort of Nautical Training School 

Her mother worked for many years at he Hillsborough Opticians shop for Miss Greaves. They used to play golf together at Hillsborough Golf Club

What was the name of the India Restaurant further up the road towards town, somewhere around where Patnicks shop was and somewhere, maybe, opposite the barracks. Went in there a few times but cannot remember the name

Best Regards - Victor - Malaysia

30 minutes ago, DeWasteney said:

What was the name of the India Restaurant further up the road towards town, somewhere around where Patnicks shop was and somewhere, maybe, opposite the barracks. Went in there a few times but cannot remember the name

Best Regards - Victor - Malaysia

There was one further along between Greaves St and Grammar St just before the Masons pub, called I think, the Oriental.

Bingo = carosio - 

that is the one - "Oriental" 

Thank You Very Much - Victor - Malaysia

I believe this restaurant was the earliest Chinese/Indian to open in Sheffield.

I think it might be one of the premises  shown in this pic from picturesheffield, or possibly just out of shot.

s25717.jpg

The Building Firm I worked for Built a bungalow for the Thomas and Mrs Thomas was a pain in the but to every trade 

Thought I'd revisit this old thread to mention another long-gone shop that  I remember from growing up in the Hillsborough area in the 1960's. Does anyone recall Beckwith's shop on Far Lane? It was a tiny little place - just opposite where the old Dial House Working Men's Club  used to be. The shop  was the downstairs part of an old stone cottage - long since demolished -and was run by an old man called (unsurprisingly) Mr Beckwith. We kids used to go in there most weekdays on the way home from School, to spend our threepenny bits on tooth-rotting sweets.  Mr Beckwith didn't have much stock, because most adults round there would buy their bits of local food shopping from the B&C Co-Op just down the road. He also used to sell loose butter by the pat and bacon sliced from a side of bacon - but his hygiene standards left a lot to be desired. My mum would never shop there because she said Mr B was a "mucky owd  b----r" . Looking back - she had a point. I remember the butter and the bacon weren't covered up. I remember the butter melting in warm weather and once saw Mr B's pet cat curled up asleep,,,,,, on top of the slab of bacon !. Eeee! Them were the days!

Remember it well and his wife's shop which was amongst the shops on Far Lane opposite the Beehive.