Hillsborough Shops Of The Past

Wasn't it an Army and Navy stores after Burgin's?

14 hours ago, carosio said:

Wasn't it an Army and Navy stores after Burgin's?

Mortimer's Army Stores was just below Burgin's. A small part of the sign can be seen just to the left of the bus in the picture linked to post #564. Here is a link to a scan from the 1965 Kelly's Directory showing businesses between the Barracks and Hillsborough Corner. https://i.postimg.cc/kgHKqxsk/01-Burgins.jpg

Thanks hillsbro - of course it was Marsden's butcher's shop - not Marshall's - my memory is not quite as good as I thought it was! I clearly remember the awful stench of their factory on Wood lane/Myers Grove Lane though - we could smell it on our walk to and from Myers Grove school every day - and even from the school playing fields, when the wind was blowing in that direction. My old dad used to tell some very lurid tales about the danger of ever buying owt from Marsden's - but I'd better not repeat those tales here, in case I'm slandering them unfairly.  Although my family never shopped there, plenty of people did - and to be fair to Marsden's - I never actually heard of anyone ever getting poisoned by their produce.😁

...and what about the few shops that were in Hillsborough in the early 60's that are still there to this day? I don't think there's many of them left. The only places still there that I remember from my toddler days are Funk's pork butcher's and the Simpkin's  sweet factory. Talbot's butcher's was there until a couple of years ago, but even that seems to have changed hands and is now called Kevin Stenton's.  Also, does anyone remember  Burton's  menswear shop, on the corner of the main road/Bradfield Rd?  

I think Funk's must be the only retail business that is still trading under the same name, though no longer in the Funk family (as it was until the 1980s). The business can be traced back to George Funk (1865-1912) who arrived from Germany in the 1880s and opened a shop at 34 Infirmary Road. They were later on Langsett Road and Holme Lane before opening the present-day shop. The newsagent's on the corner next to Funk's is still there, having undergone many changes of ownership since William Day opened the shop in c. 1908. In the early 1960s it was owned by Frank Agus and his wife Ida. In the 1980s it became a "Star News Shop" for a time. Burton's menswear opened on the  corner of Bradfield Road  in the late 1920s, their new building replacing Bill Bush's single-storey grocer's shop that had been there. Burton's was taken over by Greenwoods, where I often used to buy clothes in the 1980s.

Simpkin's factory has been there since the 1930s, when my mother worked there for a time. I once bought some of their sweets in Germany, so they must export a lot.

12 hours ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

...and what about the few shops that were in Hillsborough in the early 60's that are still there to this day? I don't think there's many of them left. The only places still there that I remember from my toddler days are Funk's pork butcher's and the Simpkin's  sweet factory. Talbot's butcher's was there until a couple of years ago, but even that seems to have changed hands and is now called Kevin Stenton's.  Also, does anyone remember  Burton's  menswear shop, on the corner of the main road/Bradfield Rd?  

I remember Burtons. Got my first suit there. I worked in Barclays, next door.  Also remember A.L. Simpkins. Are Styans and Shentalls still next to Barclays or have they gone/been taken over.

Styan's and Shentall's haven't been there for quite a long time. Styan's became a travel agent (Woodcock's at one time) and I think Shentalls was a café.

Hi all, 

Bottom of Middlewood Road in the 80s/90s was a TV sales shop.

It was possibly number 15, next to the old Decor8 shop.

If memory serves it had a red sign above the shop with the name in yellow. 

It was NOT one of the nationals that were about at the time like DER, Radio rentals etc, just a small independent. 

What was its name?  

I worked in WIgfalls. late 50s early 60s,does anyone remember Wilcoxs furniture shop Bingleys flower shop[ [also had barrow corner Roselle St]  Atkin & Ansells furniture makers Richard Treganzers nuts and bolts all on Proctor Place.

Hi bazza63 - yes, I remember all these, also the Kinema on Proctor Place. It's all very different now of course, but I think the Bingleys' daughter Vicky still has a flower stall in the arcade.

In the late sixties I knew a girl called Linda Harben, her parents had two dress shops on Middlewood Road. 

One was in the Hillsborough shopping center, the other was further along opposite the Park Cinema.

I think she now lives in Florida.