Hillsborough Shops Of The Past

There is an old thread here about the Barrows and their chip shop..:)

I recently found a 1957 Kelly's directory - here is a scan showing businesses in Middlewood Road as far as Minto Road / Hawksley Avenue.

Edited by hillsbro

Star video, middlwood road. Had an arcade next door, there was also an old sweet shop/tabaconist a few doors down.

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 17:24 ----------

Sorry for the random response above, but i've got to mention jacks sasperlla bar on langsett rd. Had a neon durex sign in window. Sorry again

... jacks sasperlla bar on langsett rd. Had a neon durex sign in window. Sorry again
I don't remember the neon but there was certainly a sign - here's a photo..:) Jack Lee was the nicest bloke you could hope to meet - I hope he's still going strong, surely well into his 80s by now.

Great pic, so thats how its spealt. IXL cb was popular then. Jeff halls for motorbike bits.

Great pic, so thats how its spealt. IXL cb was popular then. Jeff halls for motorbike bits.
Yes - IXL CB was great in the early 1980s. For motorbike bits I went to Leather & Simpson, but as for Jeff Hall - didn't he do well?.:P

The pie and pea shop was owned by a Mrs Edmunds. Corner of Taplin Rd and Haden St.

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 23:13 ----------

The pie and peas shop on M/Wood Rd opposite Dora Websters belonged to a Mrs Atkinson,and I think next door was a Chinese Laundry,In the late fifties I used to take my detached shirt collars to be starched there you hardly dare turn you head they were that hard. [Good Old Days]

Yes, the pie and pea shop on Taplin Road - sweetdexter mentioned this in post #14. It was George Lee's chip shop until c. 1955, then a café until the early 1960s.

...The pie and peas shop on M/Wood Rd opposite Dora Websters belonged to a Mrs Atkinson,and I think next door was a Chinese Laundry,In the late fifties I used to take my detached shirt collars to be starched there you hardly dare turn you head they were that hard. [Good Old Days]
Directories show Mary S. Atkinson there, and "H.F. Sum, laundry". My dad used to say that when he first married my mum she used so much starch than one day he fell down and broke his shirt..:P

Yes, the pie and pea shop on Taplin Road - sweetdexter mentioned this in post #14. It was George Lee's chip shop until c. 1955, then a café until the early 1960s.Directories show Mary S. Atkinson there, and "H.F. Sum, laundry". My dad used to say that when he first married my mum she used so much starch than one day he fell down and broke his shirt..:P

H.F Sum was my father in law , now sadly passed away. The family had the laundry for a while then bought the chip shop next door which they ran until they retired . One coincidence I love is that my Mum used to take my Dads loose collars there to be starched ( and turned if needed ) and it was my now husband who used to earn his pocket money as a lad , starching and pressing them. It was very hard work running the laundry he tells me . No modern day appliances . The irons they used were all flat irons heated on a Jumbo stove . They worked long hard days , most days 16 hours in hot steamy conditions and didn't make a great deal of money for it tbh. I don't know how they did it and bring up a family of five too.

My hubby also tells me they loved Mrs Atkinsons pies . He still waxes lyrical about how good they were and what a great treat it was if they were allowed to have one .

Edited by mrs grissom
Missed word

Hi mrs grissom - it's very nice to read your recollections. The members of Sheffield's Chinese community certainly have a reputation for hard work, and just imagine all those long hours using heavy flat irons etc. I knew Mr Lai who had the laundry at Broomhill, and in the 1970s my cousin worked for Mr Yun who ran the "Gold Fish Bowl" just off The Moor. I think it was Mr Yun's grave I happened to see in Crookes cemetery, with the stone inscribed in Chinese and English.

Thanks Wiseowl.

We do seem to have relationship of sorts here. It's a bit complex so leave with me to interrogate and come back to you with specifics. As a kid I remember my Mum & Dad referring to an 'Uncle Gosney' but I was too young to understand where he fitted into the family set up. Give me a few days.

Below is the post you refer to (dated 10/4/12) -

''Re: Hillsborough shops 35 years ago - and earlier

This is great stuff! (do we have to address you as Mr Hillsbro'? ..fittingly respectful actually as your knowledge of the area is unsurpassed!:))

Here is another. I had two 'aunties' (Mary & Evie Tarbrook - another pair of spinsters) who ran a small cafe at Malin Bridge (Dixon Lane?) and to whom my Mum packed me off to spend an occasional Saturday afternoon to give her some peace! They sold Vimto and Sarsaparilla from small barrels, big demand then ..imagine that today! My Dad would collect me after shutting up the shop.

I wonder if any of your members may remember them? Sweet couple...''[/i]

Hi the aunties you mention, where they next to Mrs Hetheringtons shop, their shop was a bit like an herbalist shop, they always seemed to be very stern and serious, I used to get very embarrassed when I went in there with my 3/9d

Regards Brian

Hillsbro - If you were walking past the theatre on the right hand side of Middlewood Rd going towards the terminus, would you have a scan of the small two windowed TV store that was in close proximity to the theatre, it was there in the early 50's and would it show the duration of the business from when to when. I think the owners lived in fulwood but conducted their business there. Please don't go to a lot of trouble. Regards Fleetwood.

Yes - IXL CB was great in the early 1980s. For motorbike bits I went to Leather & Simpson, but as for Jeff Hall - didn't he do well?.:P

On the same side but further towards Hillsboro' were Horsefall's pet shop, with the sacks of dog biscuits outside, and Di Nitto the jeweller. There was a chip shop between Grammar St and Stalker Drill Square, and I seem to remember some shop next door to it that sold watches.