Hillsborough Shops Of The Past

Hi fleetwood

glad to be of help,can you remmber the name of the pot shop a bit lower down.

Hi fleetwood

glad to be of help,can you remmber the name of the pot shop a bit lower down.

Sorry bullerboY don't remember, I know there was a large arch nearby and I think it was some kind of auto parts or motorcycle business, there were more buildings in the back that seemed to be part of it all.

Not quite the subject of the thread, but I'm sure some will remember the lovely veteran Morris Bullnose (W 62) that ran regularly between Oughtibridge (where I think the owner lived) though Hillsboro' and onto town- I seem to recall that it was still running into the late seventies?

It was certainly running in the 1970s; I clearly remember the white-haired owner driving it around Hillsborough. I thought he lived on Dixon Road as I often saw it parked there, but I could of course be mistaken. The black, open-top car dated, I guess, from the 1920s but the number W62 was much older than this - it must have been transferred from a real veteran.

I worked at Barclays Bank number 2 Middlewood Rd. in the early 60's. Bought my first suit from Burtons which was on the corner of Middlewood Rd and Bradfield Rd (think that's the right name) - it cost £7.10s. C.E. Styans and Shentalls were next to the Bank. Lunch time I'd sometimes go into Pauls Pantry which was just off Holme Lane and the Bluebell? Chinese restaurant opened on Holme Lane in about 1961 I think. Other days I'd have a drink in Bronco Layne's cafe and/or go for a walk and a smoke in the park opposite. Occasionally a swift half in the Blue Bell? just round the corner from the Bank on Bradfield Rd. It dont seem like nearly 50 years ago but it flipping well is!

Hi MikeG - it was the Silver Dragon restaurant that opened in 1961 at No 7 Holme Lane (on the first floor of the building between the traffic lights and Walkley Lane). I remember the owner well - nice chap, tall for a Chinese.

The pub round the corner on Bradfield Road is the Old Blue Ball - see http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=t00517. A nice pub, it has a long history (it survived the Sheffield Flood of 1864 with moderate damage) but I wouldn't go in there now - at least, not on a Friday night....

The Hillsborough branches of Barclays and Midland/HSBC must be among the very few Sheffield banks that are still in the same buildings as they were a century and more ago.

You may remember Gaingers Wines & Spirits and Monty Thomas (TV & Radio) whose shops were a bit further along the row than Styan's and Shentall's.

It was certainly running in the 1970s; I clearly remember the white-haired owner driving it around Hillsborough. I thought he lived on Dixon Road as I often saw it parked there, but I could of course be mistaken. The black, open-top car dated, I guess, from the 1920s but the number W62 was much older than this - it must have been transferred from a real veteran.

I think he lived on Garry Rd,near the bottom.I used to see it when delivering papers.

Has anybody mentioned the herbalists on Middlewood Rd, it was opposite Proctor place? We used to go in there for Sarsaparilla. I used to love that drink; anybody know where you can still buy it??

Has anybody mentioned the herbalists on Middlewood Rd, it was opposite Proctor place?

That was Mrs Styran - see post #112 on Page 6.

We used to go in there for Sarsaparilla. I used to love that drink; anybody know where you can still buy it??

Sarsparilla was a "speciality" of the drink shops that have just about died out now. Mawson's in Oldham must have been about the last, but you can still get their sarsparilla cordial by ordering online - see http://www.mawsonstraditionaldrinks.co.uk/

Mrs Styran made her sarsparilla drinks from cordial, but Jack Lee actually brewed it using his own recipe. His herbalist/drink shop was at 356 Langsett Road and survived until the late 1970s. As you went in the door there was a narrow part of the shop with a counter where you could buy the usual herbal items (and - shhhh... - condoms) but most of the shop area was the "bar" which had beer-engines dispensing sarsparilla, tables and chairs, a pin table etc. Us 12 year-olds used to prop up the bar with a pint of sarsparilla. Memories...

That was Mrs Styran - see post #112 on Page 6.

Mrs Styran made her sarsparilla drinks from cordial, but Jack Lee actually brewed it using his own recipe. His herbalist/drink shop was at 356 Langsett Road and survived until the late 1970s. As you went in the door there was a narrow part of the shop with a counter where you could buy the usual herbal items (and - shhhh... - condoms) but most of the shop area was the "bar" which had beer-engines dispensing sarsparilla, tables and chairs, a pin table etc. Us 12 year-olds used to prop up the bar with a pint of sarsparilla. Memories...

In the 50s my friends and I used to go in there and order a pint pot of sarsparilla (imagining it was a pint of beer) and chew on liquorice roots sticks.

You don't happen to have any pictures of "The Old Manor House" at the bottom of Laird Rd just prior to it's demolition in 1958 do you Hillsbro ??