Hillsborough Shops Of The Past

Hi Jon26 - directories unfortunately just give the name of the filling station without the proprietor. I've looked in 1950s/60s directories for Radcliffe/Ratcliffe in the Cuthbert Bank / High House area and the name doesn't crop up, but could it be earlier or later than this?

Thanks Hillsbro, thinking about it was much earlier. I'm hoping to find more once the 1921 census comes out.

Do you have any information on Coopers Butchers which were on Langsett Road near to the top of Burton Street and Channing Street (?). I know it was there in the 1950/60's.

Hi Jon26 - I'll look Coopers butchers up in the directories on Sunday (Mrs hillsbro and I are at our "holiday home" in Sheffield at present). But on this computer I do have PDFs of the 1925 directory and there is a "William Arthur Ratcliffe, shopkeeper" at 82 Cuthbert Bank Road. This is likely to be the William A. Ratcliffe shown in the 1891 and 1901 census returns living with his wife Mary Ann and family on Creswick Street, and working in the steel industry. By 1911 William had moved to 82 Cuthbert Bank Road, and is described as a “Forgeman”, and so the shop must have been a later enterprise. William evidently died aged 61 in 1926.

Edited by hillsbro

Hi Jon26 - I'll look Coopers butchers up in the directories on Sunday (Mrs hillsbro and I are at our "holiday home" in Sheffield at present). But on this computer I do have PDFs of the 1925 directory and there is a "William Arthur Ratcliffe, shopkeeper" at 82 Cuthbert Bank Road. This is likely to be the William A. Ratcliffe shown in the 1891 and 1901 census returns living with his wife Mary Ann and family on Creswick Street, and working in the steel industry. By 1911 William had moved to 82 Cuthbert Bank Road, and is described as a “Forgeman”, and so the shop must have been a later enterprise. William evidently died aged 61 in 1926.

Thanks Hillsbro. Its a Dick Lee Radcliffe or Radcliff I'm looking for. They were on High House Road in 1911. According to my grandma they made a large cake when the sheffield star was launched, it was pulled around on horse and cart, everyone who bought a star got a piece of cake. No doubt covered in a nice layer of soot ...

I'm trying to work out where his shop was.

Hope you enjoyed your holiday in Sheffield.

...I'm trying to work out where his shop was....
In 1924 it was evidently at the back of a pawn shop at 280 Langsett Road - here are copies taken from the 1925 Kelly's Directory. So without a frontage to the road he perhaps either sold his products wholesale to shopkeepers or served callers at the back door. In the 1911 directory he is not listed at 280 Langsett Road, or in the alphabetical sections - non-commercial and classified. It follows from this that the bakery at 280 Langsett Road must have begun operations after 1910 (when the 1911 directory was compiled) and it also seems that Dick didn't have commercial premises in 1911 - at least, he is not listed as a baker. It also must have closed before 1936 (by which time Dick would have been about 80) as there is no mention in the 1937 directory.

"Harry Cooper, butcher" is shown at 310 Langsett Road (near the corner of Cuthbert Road) in the directories I have dated between 1901 and 1953. Between 1953 and 1956 J. Rowe took over, and by 1964 the shop was owned by H.C. Wray who had a chain of butcher's shops. In c. 1971 it became a dress shop.

Edited by hillsbro

Who remembers Wigfalls electrical shop where you could rent Tvs, washing machines and vacuum cleaners, it was on Middlewood Road just opposite Taplin Road, i worked there between 77/79 and me and the gaffa used to go for a pint in the shakey at Friday lunchtime, happy days.

Hi Graham,who was the boss then I worked in that shop before 79. but was still involved with the shop because worked for Hoover Ltd.

---------- Post added 08-04-2014 at 16:58 ----------

Hi Graham F,who was the gaffer in them days,I worked in the same shop before 77/79 but was still involved because I then worked for Hoover Ltd, would the guy be G.Heathcote. regards Bazza.

I can remember seeing Father Christmas in his grotto upstairs in the Co Op, must have been early 60's

Hi there, just come across some info about a great aunt - Mabel Hattersley who work or owned a sweet shop round the corner of Haden Street, this would have been in the 30s/40s and may have run the shop with her husband Colin Woodward. Might anyone know anymore on this ??

anyone remember the shops higher up Middlewood Road, they are houses now the end one used to be a beer off? there used to be an antique shop on the other side? (now the car dealers):)

Hi conmon - I'm not quite sure where you mean, but I have plenty of old Kelly's directories that will list the shops. So if you can be a bit more specific as to the location I can provide scans..:)