Hillsborough Shops Of The Past

...The LaVida Loca restaurant has now closed.
I'm not surprised; I never found it open! I imagine it only opened evenings. It's surprising that Barclays Bank is still there, bearing in mind (1) how many small bank branches have closed and (2) the fact that it's been there since the 1890s, albeit originally as the York City & County Bank.

Reading about the shops on Middlewood road brought back memories of my in laws, the Woolhouse family who had a family funeral & private hire business - Samuel Woolhouse & Son. It was situated opposite the old Middlewood Caravan company run by two brothers. The funeral business first started at a premises opposite the old South Yorkshire Asylum Gates. the gates are still there near the Middlewood Tram terminus. Does anyone remember tghe business & the Woolhouse family?

Happy Days! PopT

Hi PopT - I don't actually remember the business, but it is shown in the directories I have, firstly at 474 Middlewood Road "Samuel Woolhouse, undertaker" (1911), then at 417 Middlewood Road, the entries varying from "Samuel Woolhouse, motor car proprietor" (1925-1937) to "Samuel Woolhouse, undertaker" (1942) and "Samuel Woolhouse, funeral director" (1954).

My father spoke of a dentist at Hillsborough who had 2 great dane dogs, probably in the 1930/40 period.

Hi harvey19 - that might have been Mr Oates who had a dental surgery on the corner of Middlewood Road and Dorothy Road. He looked after my milk teeth :) (early 1950s) and I would see him in Hillsborough Park with at least one large dog.

Quote: I was born at 99 Langsett Ave in 1938.I remember being anaesthetised in 1948 by asphyxiation at a dental surgery run by Hilton-Tapp on the corner of Middlewood Rd and ? Minto Rd.

I remember in what must be 1954/5 being taking into Hillborough by my Mum, she wouldnt tell me where we were going, but she let me wear my new Whitsuntide sandles, so it must have been a 'Special' day. It was, she took me to Hilton-Tapps. I remember going upstairs to this treatment room, and screaming the place down!, He then yelled at the dental nurse to sedate me, and she gave me a large capsule and some water and ordered me to swallow it. There then followed a heated disscussion between my Mum and the Dentist, and he threw us out! We never did go back there again. After that it was the Dental hospital for us.

Good story, sorry your visit to my Dads turned out to be a horror story, I'm not keen on Dentists either ??. Must have been a 'bad' day for you both. Hope you still have all your teeth.

I was born in Worrall 1940, used to take an accumulator to a chap on Langsett Ave to be charged up for the old radio.

Hi, Just wondering if anyone would of known my Grandfather. He owned a cafe on Middlewood Road opposite Hillsborough Park. Sometime in the 1950s. He was Polish. His name Stanislaw Neckarski. Trying to find out more about him as sadly i never got to meet him as he died in 1964

I recently got chatting with a bloke at Weston Park Hospital about times past. We had both lived near the Kelvin around 1959-60. I lived on Wood Street, he Albert Terrace Rooad. Anyway,this bloke (Paul) told me something I didn’t know about as the Zakes clan had left the area during 1960 (to a house on Hackenthorpe with an indoor bog). Paul telled to me that in 1961-2 a dentist by the name of Ditchfield had committed self-murder by turning a shotgun on himsen.

I think Paul said the dentist surgery was on the section of Langsett Road atween Wood Street and Ash Street. I would be glad of any info on this incident. Thank you.

2 hours ago, zakes said:

I recently got chatting with a bloke at Weston Park Hospital about times past. We had both lived near the Kelvin around 1959-60. I lived on Wood Street, he Albert Terrace Rooad. Anyway,this bloke (Paul) told me something I didn’t know about as the Zakes clan had left the area during 1960 (to a house on Hackenthorpe with an indoor bog). Paul telled to me that in 1961-2 a dentist by the name of Ditchfield had committed self-murder by turning a shotgun on himsen.

I think Paul said the dentist surgery was on the section of Langsett Road atween Wood Street and Ash Street. I would be glad of any info on this incident. Thank you.

No , Ditchfields dentist was at Montgomery House which is on Infirmary Road across from the Tesco on the corner of Montgomery Terrace Road . It's still a dentist and doctors although of course Ditchfield's not there any more, I still go there to the dentist, I've  been going for many many years.

As I remember Ditchfields retired, never heard that story of yours before.

There was another dentist who everyone feared who was  situated  I  think, in the old police house across the road from Ash Street, his name was Flint as I remember.

When I was a kid, growing up in the Hillsborough area in the 60's and early 70's, I remember the old Brightside and Carbrook Co-Op, which is now the B&M Bargains. There was also a Wigfalls electrical goods shop, that my parents used quite often  and a Woolworths - which I loved, because they used to sell a huge variety of biscuits in slanted tins...and I used to help myself to handfuls of them every time my mum took me in there. I remember the old Post Office in Hillborough Place...and there was also a proper old wet fishmongers near there. There was a couple of butcher's shops called Kelsey's and Marshall's. My parents shopped in Kelsey's a lot, because they did excellent black pudding, but they wouldn't touch Marshall's with a ten foot pole, because my dad once did some work at their processing plant near Myer's Grove school and was appalled by their poor standards of hygiene. There was also a shop called Burgin's - near where the Hillsborough Interchange bus terminal is now. They sold school uniforms and sporting goods. I remember my mum doing her nut when I went from junior school to Myers Grove senior school in 1969 ….because Burgin's was the only place that sold the correct Myers Grove uniform....and it was ludicrously expensive.....far more than my family could afford, but she felt obliged to buy it anyway, so that I could go to senior school properly kitted out. She bought it on tick and was still paying it off 2 years later . Aaah...those were the days. eh? 

Hi FIRETHORN1 - it's nice to have your memories. My schoolbag etc. came from Burgin's - you can see the shop in the background of this painting of a No 31 bus turning into Forbes Road.  https://i.postimg.cc/3NQfsqJt/Burgins.jpg  The wet fishmonger's on Hillsborough Road in the 1960s was Clayton's. I remember at that time they began selling whole roast chickens from a "Rotiss-o-Mat" roaster that they set up outside - the first I had seen. Kelsey's was a very good pork shop at that time. The other pork butcher you refer to was actually Marsden's - their factory was on Wood Lane as you mentioned. In my 1960s hitch-hiking days I got a lift back from Doncaster in one of their vans - the smell was awful but the driver couldn't smell anything as he'd got used to it!