Hillsborough Shops Of The Past

Yes - this was Dr Andrew Stephen whose practice was on the corner of Wadsley Lane and Far Lane. He lived not far away, at Wisewood House on Wisewood Road. I knew that as well as being team doctor he was Chairman of Sheffield Wednesday but I hadn't realised that he became F.A. Chairman - a little Googling brought up this newspaper report from the Glasgow Herald of 10 January 1967. According to the newspaper he came to Sheffield in 1930, and the 1937 directory shows him at Wisewood House; at that time he was junior partner to Dr McPhail, my grandma's G.P. Dr Stephen stayed in Sheffield when he retired; he died in 1980. The practice is still going strong - here is its website..:)

Hello Hillsbro,i know this is a little off the thread , I remember dr. Stevens very well he was our family doctor when we lived at the Park Hotel,we had just moved to Grammar st Walkley but hadn't changed doctors i was really ill one night with suspected appedicitus, so mum called dr. Stevens about 3am. he arrived at 4am to find me fast asleep woke me up to find nothing wrong with me.Mum was really sorry for call out but Dr. Stevens said its not a problem better be safe than sorry. Great man wouldn't happen today.

Thats the way to do it!!

Hi tinytingle - as you say we could hardly imagine this nowadays. I remember my friends who lived on Shepperson Road always spoke highly of Dr Stephen.

Hi tinytingle - as you say we could hardly imagine this nowadays. I remember my friends who lived on Shepperson Road always spoke highly of Dr Stephen.

He was knighted in 1972.

Yes - the history of the business is that John Henry Mann (1891-1973) opened a fish & chip shop at 210 Holme Lane, Malin Bridge in 1921, and about ten years later he also opened a wet fish shop next door at No 208. In due course his son Harley Mann (1921-1993) took over both shops. In 1952 Harley bought the fishmonger's business at 187 Bradfield Road that had belonged to the Buckley family, and ten years later Harley's son Peter (b. 1946) joined the business. In the 1980s with the decline of Malin Bridge as a shopping centre, the fish shop and chippy there closed and the business was consolidated at Bradfield Road. Then in 1990 when Clayton's fish shop in Hillsborough Road came up for sale, Peter moved again - this was perhaps considered a better location to combine both businesses, though the post office on Hillsborough Road (which must have meant quite a lot of 'passing traffic') closed soon afterwards. Here is a link to a photo on the picturesheffield.com site. The next development was related by "Halibut" in post #33 on Page 2 of this thread; Peter sold the shop to two trade customers. The business is still going strong; you can order fish via their website (Google 'J H Mann' Sheffield) and they will deliver..:)

Mr Mann retired a few years ago. The shop is still open and still sells

fresh fish . It is now owned by G I Stebbing who apparently owned it in the 80s

As a kid I was a frequent visitor to see Dr Stephens.

The waiting room fo his surgery was the Billiard Room.

In the centre of the room was a great highly polished full size billiard table which as a youngster I used to marvel at the size of it.

He was a very disciplined man, very thorough but a real gentleman who never complained about being called out even on false alerts.

Happy Days! PopT

---------- Post added 13-01-2014 at 17:46 ----------

I was reading with interest about a posting about the Manns Fishmongers shop on Bradfield Road. I know it was still there in 1969 as it is in my Sheffield Directory for that year.

I knew Herbert Hayes who worked there and believe at one time he managed the shop but I have a vague memory of the shop belonging to the Baldock family who also had a shop on Attercliffe Common.

I believe the shop at Hillsborough corner was owned by Barry Baldock at this time or maybe he ran it for the Manns.

Maybe someone could put the record straight for me, it in the Directories from 1957-1969

Happy Days PopT

Edited by PopT

Hi PopT - the fish shop at 187 Bradfield Road certainly had a long history. Just going on the directories I have, I couldn’t find any mention of the name Baldock; here are the owners in the various years for which I have directories:

1911, 1925 - Charles F. Buckley

1937, 1942 - Charles F. Buckley’s executors (he had died in 1931)

1954 to 1973 - J.H. Mann.. Harley Mann took over in 1952 according to the website, and in 1990 the business moved to Clayton’s (then owned by Glyn Stebbing) in Hillsborough Road.

In 1950s/60s directories Horace Boldock is shown as a fishmonger at 551 Attercliffe Road and 165 Attercliffe Common, and “E.M. Boldock & Sons” in the wholesale fish market. Perhaps as you suggest one of the family ran the Bradfield Road shop for the Manns at one time. The "E.M. Boldock" was evidently Mrs Ethel May Boldock who is shown as the proprietor of a shop at 403 Attercliffe Common in the 1937 and 1942 directories, with Horace Boldock at the other two addresses. In the last directory I have, for 1973, B. Boldock is in the Castle Market (R.I.P.!), E.M. Boldock & Sons are in the wholesale market with a retail branch on London Road, and H. Boldock is at 754 Chesterfield Road (this shop is still open). It seems to have been quite an old dynasty - Charles Boldock is listed at 551 Attercliffe Road in 1905 and 1925, and in 1905 William Boldock had a fish shop, a tripe shop and a chippy in Attercliffe..:)

Thanks for that Hillsboro.

I've been wracking my brain to remember how Barry Boldock came into my memory and I seem to think that Barry ran the shop at Hillsborough corner for a time and then Herbert Hayes stepped up to the platform to replace him.

Happy Days! PopT

Thanks for that Hillsboro.

I've been wracking my brain to remember how Barry Boldock came into my memory and I seem to think that Barry ran the shop at Hillsborough corner for a time and then Herbert Hayes stepped up to the platform to replace him.

Happy Days! PopT

Hi PopT,not heard from you for a while is everything ok,hows von?Dont want to go the Robin Hood now its all apartments.:D

Hi Buller

Everythings fine, still travelling.

I want to die with my boots on!

Happy Days! PopT

Hi Buller

Everythings fine, still travelling.

I want to die with my boots on!

Happy Days! PopT

Hope its not time to go yet.lol

Sorry Susie 1 I was presuming it was the o briens of Oakland rd.

Yes I believe she is talking about the Oakland Rd O briens. Terry is indeed female. I had forgotten about Barry (sorry barry)

OBriens haulage) ""AE OBrien and sons and daughters