Hillsborough Shops Of The Past

Hi bullerboy. I remember the co-op being built, but not much before that. I think I was 10or 11 at the time. I bought my Batman and Superman comics at a shop near Dykes Hall Road and I bought Beatles 45 singles from a shop close to Hillsborough corner. I recall the world cup in '66 and my folks inviting some German visitors to watch a game in the living room behind our shop. (The Major wouldn't have been impressed.) My folks had friends Don and Josie Hall who lived somewhere off Dykes Hall Road. What were those frozen orange juices called? - you squeezed them out of a sort of triangular cardboard wrapping.

Hi Cheetham,I thought they were called Joy sticks.I remember the world cup well,my friend was a signwriter who lived at64 Owlerton Green and just after the match we had to go down Penistone rd in his van and everyone was waving at us,we felt like royalty.You may have known his son David Marsden.

they where called jubblies in the triangular cardboard wrapping

Perhaps different makers had other names for them:D

Here's a picture..:)

Jubblies! That's it. Fantastic to see the picture - thanks Turkshead and Hillsbro

Bullerboy, don't recall David Marsden. '66 was also the year the Owls made the cup final. I made my one and only trip to Wembley at age 16. I am still recovering from the trauma of leading 2 - 0 only to lose the game. I still have my copy of the Green 'Un from the semi final against Chelsea with the huge headline 'Owls do it!'. I've also kept the ticket stub from the final.

Hi Paul (!) - I had forgotten that your parents actually took over the newsagents' shop in Bradfield Road but I do remember now. Just think how many newsagents there were in Hillsborough in the 1950s - three on Middlewood Road (No 76, Kay's and Frank Agus - the latter still a paper shop), one on Hillsborough Road (the name escapes me), Wood's just round the corner on Holme Lane and 137 Bradfield Road. To say nothing of Sam Twelves in Dykes Hall Road and Ron Starling opposite the park.

Just a thought Philip (Hillsbro') but could it have been Sam's son who later became the bank manager of Midland Bank adjacent /near to Hillsborough baths? 'Twelves' can't have been a very common surname I'd have thought (?)

Edited by Ian Tufft
Spelling

Bullerboy, don't recall David Marsden. '66 was also the year the Owls made the cup final. I made my one and only trip to Wembley at age 16. I am still recovering from the trauma of leading 2 - 0 only to lose the game. I still have my copy of the Green 'Un from the semi final against Chelsea with the huge headline 'Owls do it!'. I've also kept the ticket stub from the final.

Are you still going on about THAT final young Cheetham?!! I also have the 'Owls do it! Green 'Un from that time and was at the game!! ..which is saying something for a die-hard Blade! (My Uncle Harry was an Owl so got Roger

& I tickets). The final would have been too much though ..still, good luck this year in the P/O final - hee!:hihi:

Just a thought Philip (Hillsbro') but could it have been Sam's son who later became the bank manager of Midland Bank adjacent /near to Hillsborough baths? 'Twelves' can't have been a very common surname I'd have thought (?)
Yes, it was certainly a relative of Sam Twelves the newsagent; I'm not sure if it was his son, or a nephew etc. I worked for the Midland Bank from 1970 until I took early retirement (from HSBC, that is) in 2002).

Are you still going on about THAT final young Cheetham?!! ...
My goodness - I remember that day only too well. I've never been much of a football fan, but growing up in Hillsborough it was 'healthy' to support Wednesday. I watched the match on TV and then cycled along to Tony Butterworth's bike shop on Catch Bar Lane. The back room had all the humour and good cheer of a mortuary. Poor Tony Butterworth was almost in tears. I did my best to cheer him up but there's only so much you can do in such a situation. I don't know what Ron Starling was thinking, a couple of minutes' walk away - he captained Wednesday when they won the cup in 1935...

Like Paul I also remember the World Cup the same year. As a sort of volunteer interpreter/guide, my knowledge of the language improved by talking to the Germans who descended on Sheffield (my godfather was a p.o.w. from Lodge Moor Camp who had become a good friend of my family by the time I arrived, just before he went home in 1948.) and I learned a few naughty words. Great people, and I never saw as many VW Beetles in my life....

Edited by hillsbro

Mr Hillsbro /Philip, does your knowledge remit extend as far as Thurgoland? I have family history there and my brother Roger has done a lot of research. Possibly you might me able to fill some gaps; even if not, he has unearthed quite a few historical gems.