Thornseat Lodge, Bradfield - Know anything about it?

where exactly is this place :huh: cant find it on google maps.

Found this article.

Seems it is owned by the same person who owns the derelect Bradfield Water Works building (which isn't to far from Thornseats Lodge)....and the School House (is that the one which is now a restaurant??)

WHY would someone buy properties like these and then let them rot.

More money than sense!!! :rant:

Having looked at who the owner is on the land registry, I suspect the problem is, that the owner is a family run company not an indivivdual.

My speculation would be that the properties are actually mortgaged against the company value, but the owners don't have the cash flow to improve them, though they are doing so little by little. I would guess that this is the reason that one of the places (the old outdoor centre) is now up for sale.

The school rooms is now a cafe and shop, but it is still owned and run by the same family, who also own Fox Holes.

Yep. that's it, was still a childrens home in 80's as my mate lived on the nearest farm and had sheep on the moor behind, also went to school with the wardens daughter.

Having looked at who the owner is on the land registry, I suspect the problem is, that the owner is a family run company not an indivivdual.

My speculation would be that the properties are actually mortgaged against the company value, but the owners don't have the cash flow to improve them, though they are doing so little by little. I would guess that this is the reason that one of the places (the old outdoor centre) is now up for sale.

The school rooms is now a cafe and shop, but it is still owned and run by the same family, who also own Fox Holes.

Given the Hague family are reputedly multi-millionaires I doubt it's a lack of capital stopping them. A family that can spend thousands completely renovating a 'animal hospital' on a prime site over-looking Bradfiled, and then leave it unused for years, are hardly short of cash. Bless!

IIRC, the Hague family had a falling out a few years ago, so maybe one member is stopping the others out of spite.

Maybe the land is worth more than the building, if it is a listed building cant they just let it fall down to get around the listing.

My boyfriend and I went up to Thornseat Lodge today. He's a photographer and wanted to get some pictures. What an amazing place! Quite eerie though. Such a shame that's it's just been left.

It was originally built as a game keeper's lodge and later became a children's home.

Apparently, the Hague's buy properties like this and because the council won't grant them planning permission (probably because the building is listed), they just leave the properties until they are beyond repair and have totally crumbled. The council eventually give permission for what's left of the property (if anything) to be knocked down so houses/apartments can be built.

Such a shame that this property has been left to fall into ruins. Looks like it was once a beautiful building.

Edited by angel22

gain entry through an unsecure door or window, get squatter's rights and rescue the place!!

All the windows and doors are unsecured!! There is also no roof, no stairs and very little floor!! What bit of floor remains feels very unsafe when you walk on it. It's all rotten and just falls away when you step on it.

I just came across these posts by accident .... im sure this is the place we went to when i was at primary school (parkhill middle school) for a school trip,before moving up to secondary. I just remember it being a huge house with lots of rooms and a massive garden then round the back somewhere was a treehouse and swings etc. It was a bit creepy then and we all thought it was haunted (as you do when youre 11 yrs old) . We had a great time though and i have fond memories of the place .

My boyfriend and I went up to Thornseat Lodge today. He's a photographer and wanted to get some pictures. What an amazing place! Quite eerie though. Such a shame that's it's just been left.

It was originally built as a game keeper's lodge and later became a children's home.

Apparently, the Hague's buy properties like this and because the council won't grant them planning permission (probably because the building is listed), they just leave the properties until they are beyond repair and have totally crumbled. The council eventually give permission for what's left of the property (if anything) to be knocked down so houses/apartments can be built.

Such a shame that this property has been left to fall into ruins. Looks like it was once a beautiful building.

I think you may be hearing from legal counsel soon as your remarks are highly contentious,besmurching both private individuals and local representatives.