Sky problem (red light not going green)

i have a sky digibox that up untill last week was working fine, within the last week i have not been able to turn the box on, it seems to be on standby permanently. i have tried turning on manualy on the switch, and from the sky remote. neither work.

the model is a digital satalite receiver VTX-S760U.

i have the free sky, limited channels, think its called skysat. it was a one off payment for unlimited time.

any help would be greatfull.

and also if i bought another box, same type what would i have to do to get it working? or would it just plug in and play?

25/8/08

have tried unplugging, have let it cool for over a day now, still wont turn green. I dont have a sky subscription as i came off sky, i just get basic channels that are free with sky. i have been on this over a year.

still no green light. do you have to be with sky to get the £60 charge or is it more if you have come off sky?

I reckon the box is foobar'd, you'll have to ring Sky for them to repair it (beware though, it's £60 just to get them to come, never mind repair charges)

Ours freezes up like that but after about 5 minutes, it comes back to life. If yours is the same thing, try pressing the sky button every minute or so.

I reckon the box is foobar'd, you'll have to ring Sky for them to repair it (beware though, it's £60 just to get them to come, never mind repair charges)

You are wrong the total price for call out and a reconditioned sky box is £60

thats what I was charged about 18 months ago.

To get this service Sky must have supplied the box you have now.

Have you tried unplugging then plugging it back in, it usually works when mine starts acting up.

Swith off the tv and Sky.

Unplug both for at least a minute.

Plug them back in BUT DON'T TURN IT BACK ON for at least another minute.

Then turn them back on.

I have Sky+ and it resets itself/freezes at various times (I think it's when it updates truth be told) and this ALWAYS works for me.

Just ring Sky up and tell them you are cancelling your subscriptions because your sky box is kaputt! They'll send you a new one free of charge to keep your custom. A friend of mine has done that and it works.

Spoke to SKY on Friday about this same topic. It seems this happens when the box overheats. They say unplug, leave for a couple of mins (try and cool it as well) and then restart. If this does not work you are looking at the £60 which does give you a reconditioned box.

have tried unplugging, have let it cool for over a day now, still wont turn green. I dont have a sky subscription as i came off sky, i just get basic channels that are free with sky. i have been on this over a year.

still no green light. do you have to be with sky to get the £60 charge or is it more if you have come off sky?

Mine (x2) have done this, either buy a new one off ebay or ring New Channels (in Handsworth, they usually stock reconditioned boxes. They have a website (google). You have to ring the freesat sky number to associate your card with your new box iirc.

Thinking about it, I may have a working sky box somewhere in the attic, if I can find it, you can have it for £30. PM me.

Quick question -

In the days prior to the fault had you moved the box for any reason (moved the stand to clean under, etc). We had a similar fault a couple of years back and thought for ages that the unit was faulty. Eventually unplugged all cables, and then tidied up all the cabling behind the unit, and it fixed it. i can only put it down to the reception input cable was doubled back on itself after being snagged by the Tv stand legs. The same box still works fine now.

If this doesn't work, see if you know anyone with a box to test. Plug it in and check the signal strength - if it is strong, you could try resetting the system (only do this with a good signal otherwise you could break the unit permanently....but if all else fails and you are planning to pick up a new box anyway, it is worth a shot).

To reset....

First, simply unplug your box from the mains and then plug it back in again. This triggers any new software that your box may have downloaded. If that fails:

Remove your card.

Switch the box off at the mains.

Press and hold the backup button on the front of the box (not the remote)

Switch the mains back on without releasing the backup button.

Wait for about 20 seconds, until you see a message appear on your television (only when connected via a SCART lead) and all the lights come on the front of the digibox.

Release the button.

Follow the instructions. DO NOT do anything for the next ten minutes after which time the box will restart.

(I have done this before on a friend's faulty system and it worked a treat)