Speeding motorists - why?

Originally Posted by wolfstalin

Maxi kerb weight 2156 lb. 1970

Astra kerb weight 1715 lb. 2008

I had a Maxi and I\'m sure it was quite a big car relative to an Astra - proper comparison, therefore? Shouldn\'t it be Allegro vis-a-vis Astra?
Mr Wolf was very wrong on thre Astra weight anyway - the 2008 the Astra has a kerb weight more like 2900lb.

The 1973 Allegro was about 1840lb.

Originally Posted by wolfstalin

Maxi kerb weight 2156 lb. 1970

Astra kerb weight 1715 lb. 2008

Mr Wolf was very wrong on thre Astra weight anyway - the 2008 the Astra has a kerb weight more like 2900lb.

The 1973 Allegro was about 1840lb.

Sorry victor I pulled those weights from wiki are you saying they are wronge and if so where are you getting your figures from.

there is 2.2ibs to the kilo, there is no way on this planet a modern astra is 1715ib, therefore weighing in around 780kgs, thats about the same weight of my car, a mk1 fiesta from 1982.

Driver do not have the right to break the speed limit because they think they are good drivers who know their cars.

ever had a blowout at 100mph, would like to see you not go into the barrier.

Sorry victor I pulled those weights from wiki are you saying they are wronge and if so where are you getting your figures from.
Yes, only wrong by over half a ton! I used Haynes manuals and all sorts of garage/workshop vehicle data manuals I have in my own garage, and by checking on a few websites.

Wikipedia seems commonly to be used on SF but it is viewed with derision for its uncontrolled inaccuracy by all of academia.

That aside, I have weighed an awful lot of cars over the years as my hobbies include motorsports.

They are getting a LOT heavier.

Take a look at the specs, it seems you are a little chalanged on this one and Ill take their figures rather than yours.

Gross Vehicle Weight 1715 http://www.buyacar.co.uk/technicalSpecificationyq10635.jhtml

Yes, 1715 gross weight - in KILOGRAMMES.

For the kerb weight I quoted of about 2900lb, a 3770lb (1715kg) gross weight is about right.

The hole is getting deeper, it would seem - please pass me the spade and I will give you a pull out.

If you want to try a Google match we can do that, but it would become tedious.

http://www.mh2k.com/ecarsuk/2944542_1_9946/vauxhall_astra_sport_hatch_cdti_16v_sri_[150]/index.htm?

http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests/full-specification.jsp?version_id=5960

And if they are not good enough for you, here are the specs from Vauxhall themselves on one of the lighest models in the current Astra range:

http://www.vauxhall.com/vx/configurator/continue.do?method=getTechnicalSpecs

in a bid to stop hijacking another thread i am starting a discussion.

i know how this will turn out, but lets see anyway.

why do the general population of motorists feel it is ok to speed?

in the thread mentioned, i have been told that todays speed limits are too slow, and have been compared to the 70's, when cars where slower, lighter, and less common.

i just think it is disgraceful that people think it is ok to speed, and therefore break the law.

its not ok for someone to break into your car and steal your belongings, ok so not on the same level, but it is still breaking the law.

why do it?

I know there's 5 pages now, but this thread has been done many times before. Maybe next time you can try the search facility.

I can only speak for myself, so I will.

I don't think that it's generally okay to speed.

I think that on some occasions a speed limit is inappropriate, and so I drive to a what I consider a sensible speed. Sometimes that's higher, sometimes it's lower. I justify that by it being me there on the day, I know what I can do, I know what my car can do, I know if it's raining, or icy, I know if it's busy or not. All things that the person setting the speed limit (maybe 40 years ago) didn't.

in the thread mentioned, i have been told that todays speed limits are too slow, and have been compared to the 70's, when cars where slower, lighter, and less common.

i just think it is disgraceful that people think it is ok to speed, and therefore break the law.

its not ok for someone to break into your car and steal your belongings, ok so not on the same level, but it is still breaking the law.

why do it?

The law is a tricky thing. It often plays catch up with what people actually do, and when I say people I don't mean a few hardened criminals, I mean the majority of adults in the UK.

Making comparisons to theft doesn't help us with this though, theft has a victim, speeding does not, you might have a better analogy by making a comparison to a 'keep off the grass' sign.

Why don't you propose bringing back the guy with the red flag?

Oh and bye the bye, cars these days are lighter than cars of yester year.

Fraid not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Allegro

800 odd kg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Anglia

700 odd kg

Modern comparison?

Ford Ka (the smallest thing they make) 900kg

Ford Fiesta (same size as an anglia) nearly 1200kg

I agree with you lottie. I always stick to speed limits and I don't care whether cars are now lighter, faster etc, speed limits are there for safety reasons. If anyone wants to speed they should go and find a race track.

I've known no end of people tell me this (they always stick to the limit).

It's very amusing (for me, not them) when I'm a passenger to point out that we're now doing 35 in a 30 zone.

I don't think you're lying to us, but if you ask someone else to monitor you're speed, I bet you'd be surprised.

Driver do not have the right to break the speed limit because they think they are good drivers who know their cars.

ever had a blowout at 100mph, would like to see you not go into the barrier.

Ever had one at 70? Do you think it makes a whole lot of difference?

Your argument is not based on safety, roads are much safer now than they were 30 years ago, it's solely based on what the law says.

Most drivers disagree with the law, that it's, it's that simple, that's why they speed, they don't respect the law that restricts speed because in many cases it's an ass.

why do it?

YAWN

I think this subject has been flogged to death on here!