Police called today for a 'chat' re challenging speed fine, any advice?

speed limits are low?

ok, you get hit by a car going 40mph and we'll see if you agree :)

edit:

and waht exactly have the standards of the 1970's got to do with anything, roads are far more dangerous today thanks to halfwits speeding and driving badly.

You watch too many adverts lottie dear

or maybe i drive on the roads :rolleyes:

the fact is the momentum of a 1.5 tonne car going 30mph is a lot less than one going 40mph. cars these days are huge and a lot heavier compared to the 70's.

there are a hell of a lot more cars with drivers that don't know what they are doing, everytime i drive in sheffield i get cut up on a roundabout, overtaken on a 30mph road when doing the speed limit, usually get a few hand signals when doing the speed limit and an idiot behind me wants to break the law.

the fact is of someone you love is hit and killed by a speeding motorist, your opinion will change instantly.

wake up a little and look at the facts.

Dear Lottie,

I pen this message to you to help to appraise you of the developments made in the last 40 years in tier and break technology together with road surface technology which accumulated together mean that a modern car can stop in one seventh the distance at a given speed as their predecessors of the early 1970's.

I hope the developments that have taken place over the years aid you in your ability to avoid any kind of fatal crash but do advise you to do some DD on same and stats from the 1970's on road deaths and speed limits and the fact that speed limits have been lowered and deaths have been lowered dramatically.

surely he's a hypocrite to use their services.

As we're all forced to pay for the police, why should he not use the service he's paid for, even in a limited capacity?

As has already been said, technology in cars has significantly increased since the current speed limits were put in place. And I think you'd find that overall driving capabilities have much improved too.

Now I'm not saying all speed limits are too low, certainly some limits in built up areas etc should be decreased to 20mph. However in my opinion there's an awful lot of ridiculous limits on roads that should be increased, many 40's should become 60's, 80's introduced and motorways should be increased to 100 etc.

Accidents are always going to happen regardless - if we all drove round at 10mph there would still be some accidents!! What people need to learn is to be more aware and concentrate more on the task in hand - not just be limited, I think enough of that goes on in this country anyway!

they where caught speeding, therefore where speeding, nuff said.

he never once said in any posts he was not speeding.

He also never mentioned once that he was speeding...did he? The OP wants clarification...is that to much to ask? Would you like the op to roll over because he/she's asked to?

Seems Lottie that you've judged the op on his legal right to question the accusation. After all it is our right...is it not? And if not..pray tell us why.

And your right...speeding is unacceptable..as much as the right being removed to question it.

am i the only person here who thinks speeding isn't acceptable.

why challenge it, you broke the law.

if you don't want to get a fine, stick to the speed limit, it's not that difficult.

why do people think it is ok to speed?

You keep coming out with this line “ why do people think it is ok to speed?”

You are going to have to define “speed”, is it ok to get 3 points and 60 quid fine for drifting a few miles over the limit, if we are talking about a small amount over isn’t it perfectly acceptable to question it.

Anyone come across this before? 2 officers calling in the middle of the day beggars belief, do they to this to everyone who questions mobile speed cameras? We do not have criminal records, work full time, have never been in trouble with the police.

My partner was at work, so they are calling back tomorrow......any thoughts anyone on what they might say?

Yes, I had the same.

Most of the constabularies realised that a significant proportion of their fixed speeding fines were being avoided by people writing in with challenges, which they didn\'t have the resources to check up on.

So they transferred people from traffic duties to a team set up specifically to chase up speeding tickets - and gather in the money.

Yes, I had the same.

Most of the constabularies realised that a significant proportion of their fixed speeding fines were being avoided by people writing in with challenges, which they didn\'t have the resources to check up on.

So they transferred people from traffic duties to a team set up specifically to chase up speeding tickets - and gather in the money.

Sounds like scare tactics, buy up or else. :suspect:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

Lottie I never said it was ok to speed and I never said we were speeding, I said we are challenging a speeding fine for an 'alleged' speeding offence. We are asking the police to prove to us we were speeding.

I will let you know how it goes.....

Yes, I had the same.

So our police have now become dept collectors? Makes you wonder about the argument that 'money' isn't what this is all about.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

Lottie I never said it was ok to speed and I never said we were speeding, I said we are challenging a speeding fine for an 'alleged' speeding offence. We are asking the police to prove to us we were speeding.

I will let you know how it goes.....

Innocent until proven guilty, stick to your guns unless it’s a clear cut case, why should you own up to something which may / may not stand up to scrutiny.