Anyone been to New York recently??

I wanna wake up in the city that never sleeps!! Oh, Id love to go again.:love:

Looks absolutely fab on the website but just checked and it is £180 a night in October. Is this the price you paid? (if you don't mind me asking). It seems quite reasonable for a fab hotel, but works out a lot when going for a week!

You lucky devil :evil:

We went last October and loved it!! Are you there around halloween because there is a wonderful Halloween Parade in NYC and everywhere is decorated from the week before...tis amazing!!

We stayed here.... On the Avenue it's in the Upper West Side which is more residential and close the Central Park but you can walk into the main areas of the city within 15 mins or get the subway at 79th or 75th street and be there in 5!!

Don't book direct with the hotel though as we got more than 30% off those prices going through Ebookers and also got cashback by going through Quidco Worked out at about £75 a night!!!!!!!!!!!!

The area is really lovely as you see locals walking their dogs or dining out with their children....it's possible to sleep at night without the need of ear plugs too!!!

There is a supermarket over the road where we bought chilled cans of beer and a diner which sold great toasted panninis which we often would have in our room to save some pennies!!

:headbang::banana::thumbsup:

You lucky devil :evil:

We went last October and loved it!! Are you there around halloween because there is a wonderful Halloween Parade in NYC and everywhere is decorated from the week before...tis amazing!!

We stayed here.... On the Avenue it's in the Upper West Side which is more residential and close the Central Park but you can walk into the main areas of the city within 15 mins or get the subway at 79th or 75th street and be there in 5!!

Don't book direct with the hotel though as we got more than 30% off those prices going through Ebookers and also got cashback by going through Quidco Worked out at about £75 a night!!!!!!!!!!!!

The area is really lovely as you see locals walking their dogs or dining out with their children....it's possible to sleep at night without the need of ear plugs too!!!

There is a supermarket over the road where we bought chilled cans of beer and a diner which sold great toasted panninis which we often would have in our room to save some pennies!!

:headbang::banana::thumbsup:

Oooh also looks fab and £75 a night is a bargain!!

Looks absolutely fab on the website but just checked and it is £180 a night in October. Is this the price you paid? (if you don't mind me asking). It seems quite reasonable for a fab hotel, but works out a lot when going for a week!

I haven't stayed at the one in NY and you need to compare like with like.

Central Manhattan and outskirts Chicago are different. Is the £180 for the room, such if there's two, I think that is okay? If you are going to do something to remember for ever, you rarely regret your extravagances.

My view is, do it right or don't bother. I don't need 5*s but I like something towards the top end so that it makes the other components worthwhile.

I DIDN'T do what I preached and we (daughter and I) remember the "New Yorker" for the wrong reasons. The disabled claims were dreadful and they had to remove them from the website after my complaints. I got half of my cash back. A Russian floor manager at the hotel told me that when it was refurbished, the beige carpets were just dyed port wine! It had a good location and I suggest you read the various reports on the tripadvisor site. A cockroach but the tin lid on things - awful.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d122005-Reviews-Ramada_Plaza_New_Yorker_Hotel-New_York_City_New_York.html

I wanna wake up in the city that never sleeps!! Oh, Id love to go again.:love:

Also would like to go again one day. Went there about two months after 9/11. Arrived back in the Uk just hours before the flight 587 crash.

My OH is taking me to New York for a week!!!!!!!:clap:

I've never been before, although he has. We want to go in October, but the hotel prices seem ridiculous...and there are so many to choose from.

Can anyone recommend any? Not bothered about top of the range luxury (it would be nice but £1,500 a night seems just a little excessive!) but would like a nice hotel centrally located.

Hope someone can help!

We stayed in the Hilton near Central Park, I think it was expensive though, but that was all we could find at the last minute. I think it was about £225 a night for a basic room :shocked::gag:

It was nearly that for a round of drinks too in the hotel bar IIRC, before I fainted :hihi:

I've just had a look at some sites, and the cheapest seems to be about £600 for a week! :o:o

I wouldn't go for anywhere much further north of the bottom of central park personally nibs.

It's certainly not the cheapest place in the world for hotels, but what a fantastic place! I'm so jealous Nibs. The only scrubby place I saw was the Port Authority Bus Terminal (t'bus station:hihi:).

I was amazed how safe it is walking around everywhere else at night and that. You have to go for a bevvy around Greenwich Village, it rounds off the perfect day.

*ash* - "I wouldn't go for anywhere much further north of the bottom of Central Park personally nibs." - this is a good piece of advice.

You'll have a fab time, there are other threads on it too, so look out for them.

We stayed at Hotel Giraffe and it was bliss! Google it as its the only one!

Have fun!

My OH is taking me to New York for a week!!!!!!!:clap:

I've never been before, although he has. We want to go in October, but the hotel prices seem ridiculous...and there are so many to choose from.

Can anyone recommend any? Not bothered about top of the range luxury (it would be nice but £1,500 a night seems just a little excessive!) but would like a nice hotel centrally located.

Hope someone can help!

Check out the pod (or the place), can't remember which. It's in central manhattan and it's one of the best value I've found.

It's actually cheaper to find a short term (ie 1 week) rent for an apartment though, which is what we're doing in a few weeks.

NY will be cold in October I'd have thought, they had snow there Feb 07 when I went, at the moment they are nearing 30 degrees though.

I seem to be unusual on this thread in that I didn't think much of it either. I'm not a big city fan and once you've seen one American city you've seen them all. We're only going to visit family, bad timing if you ask me, could have gone to Portugal to visit friends instead.

I agree with that. Don't let the name 'Pod' put you off. It used to be the Pickwick Arms Hotel & it's good.

Here.

Thanks for all the replies. The Pod looks great but no availability in October, we'll keep on looking and I'll let you know how we get on!