Operation on Varicose Veins- can anyone offer personal experience?

Has anyone had an operation on varicose veins?

My hubby has been referred to the Northern General as he has a massive one from the top of his leg to under his knee and he was just wondering what the op is, how long you are in hospital and if you have to be off work?

Many thanks

Sarah

How are they removing it? This is what will make the difference. It's usually day surgery unless he has other medical conditions which would require more monitoring. He will be off work for probably 1 week but depends what he does - ie if he stands for long periods. If you want more info for post discharge I can send it to you.

Thanks everyone.

We went to the docs yesterday and all the doc said was an operation is the only way to sort it as it will only get worse as he is on his feet all day lugging stuff about. Probably caused/not helped by the job he does.

Noodle if you can let me have the post discharge info that would be great.

Thanks again

Sarah

I had an operation a few years ago and was just in for the day. With me they made an incision on my calf & another in the groin (in order to pull the veins out) My leg was tender for a few days and I had to wear one of those support stockings for a while (a couple of weeks I think) It was nothing major.

I had it done when I was in my late twenties bout six years ago. Probably caused by my job at the time [hairdressing ]stood on my feet all day.I went in for the op on the morning had it done under general anaesthetic they cut my groin and behind my knee and they kept me in overnight.The nurse came out to my home to change my dressings and they told me to keep moving about and also when sat raise the leg.I was fine after a few weeks.

As waddy says it takes a few weeks not just a week to recover, so if you have heard those stories about veins reappearing its because you didn't give it enough time to heal properly.

I had both legs done at the same time, took six weeks to heal and never had a problem since and that was 20 years back.

Remember when they say you can't fly for six months there's a reason for it and its that the healing process takes that long so don't push the boundaries exercising because of hearing contrary advice even from NG.

I had mine done on both legs.No pain just a little discomfort. all fine in two weeks and no scars. mind you I did not have pretty legs before the op.

I had mine done on both legs.No pain just a little discomfort. all fine in two weeks and no scars. mind you I did not have pretty legs before the op.

Just like me:hihi: