Are the English a dying breed?

I still believe Britain has more to be proud of than a few olympic gold medals. I also feel certain that more emphasis should be put on English history being taught in schools.

So what is it that makes you proud?

We've explored the shortcomings of our earlier lives-the days you appeared to say were better than what we have now, we've looked at the stellar achievements of our sports people (don't forget we also won the rugby world cup in 2003 and retook the Ashes more recently) and you've dismissed that.

Surely sporting and cultural achievments are what it's about? Without them we'd live a benign, nihilistic existence without aspiration wouldn't we?

By the way, if you have a look at the GCSE History curriculum, you'll see that little has changed with regard to the teaching of English and British history in schools.

There are always those who will disagree and those who will bring up all sorts of race issues about what is considered English but so the cookie crumbles - as the saying went.

Dragon

You mention 'race' in many of your posts Dragon, where no previous reference had been made, it appears it is an obsession you seem to share with those you criticise.

I agree and I'm your fully paid up, No1 English loving immigrant to prove it. For a while anyway until we move Stateside. I will miss it here when we go.

Bye..................:clap:

So what is it that makes you proud?

We've explored the shortcomings of our earlier lives-the days you appeared to say were better than what we have now, we've looked at the stellar achievements of our sports people (don't forget we also won the rugby world cup in 2003 and retook the Ashes more recently) and you've dismissed that.

Surely sporting and cultural achievments are what it's about? Without them we'd live a benign, nihilistic existence without aspiration wouldn't we?

By the way, if you have a look at the GCSE History curriculum, you'll see that little has changed with regard to the teaching of English and British history in schools.

You mention 'race' in many of your posts Dragon, where no previous reference had been made, it appears it is an obsession you seem to share with those you criticise.

I took O' levels at school. All I can tell you is at a local school near where I live they do not teach much about English history but get taught about Islam.

I guess I'm just one of those folk who thinks there is more to life than sport.

The reason I bring up race in my posts is for the likes of flamingjimmy and a couple of others. I have noticed that as soon as someone starts talking about racial issues --- that's racial issues - they are targetted and labelled as racists and it annoys me.

It is quite obsessive of me I admit and I shall attempt to reduce my sarcastic racism comments in the future. Pity the same cannot be said by the other side of the topic eh you lot.

Dragon

The reason I bring up race in my posts is for the likes of flamingjimmy and a couple of others.

As far as i'm aware you are the first person i've exposed as a xenophobe on here, i don't go around looking for racists, i just took exception to one of your comments i read this morning.

I'm all for talking about racial issues, they are very important and i resent them being taboo as much as you do, i assure you.

Why should we not be proud we fought the last world war? You mean we should have sat back and left Hitler to it? Who else was supposed to stop him? You talk pants mate - in my opinion that is. :hihi:

What English/British history is taught in modern English/British schools? Perhaps you want to go out and ask these kids what they know of the Spanish Armada; or if they can list any kings and queens of England/Britain and tell you anything about them? King Richard is a mystery to them. Winston Churchill is some sort of car insurance company owner isn't he?

Our kids are taught little of British history because its not pc to do so. Much better for them to learn about Islam. Yeah right!

Dragon

You misunderstood what I was saying. I was saying we should be proud of fighting in the second world war.

Just like we should be proud of our MayDay traditions and should support celebrations of the sacrifices of the Tolpuddle Martyrs.

Kings and Queens are of some interest, but I don't see why we should feel any particular pride about them. Does it make me any less patriotic because had I been around in the Civl War I would have been a Parliamentarian and not a Royalist?

Sorry there Wildcat. I misread your post or mistook what you had posted.

(Dragon hangs his head in shame)

Thanks for putting me straight.

Dragon

Unfortunately I am a royalist.

I took O' levels at school. All I can tell you is at a local school near where I live they do not teach much about English history but get taught about Islam.

I took O'levels too, but since you were referring to your belief that they dont teach English in schools now, it's a bit irrelevant.

How do you know that they don't teach 'much about English' in your local school?

All schools in the UK, whether they be private or state, secular or not, have to follow the National Curriculum, a large part of the history syllabus being relevant to British and English history.

Personally I prefer it that my children had the opportunity to study other faiths and cultures (I'm an atheist by the way), so they understand the people from these cultures and make their own mind up without any biased input from me.

I guess I'm just one of those folk who thinks there is more to life than sport.

I'm hardly a sport fanatic myself, but you don't have to be one to be proud of our youngsters achievements on the international stage.

It's very odd that your resisting this notion, since you're the one searching for things that you can still be proud of.

The reason I bring up race in my posts is for the likes of flamingjimmy and a couple of others. I have noticed that as soon as someone starts talking about racial issues --- that's racial issues - they are targetted and labelled as racists and it annoys me.

No they get targetted as being racist if there comments have an overtone of racism.

It follows that if I were to make a derogatory statement about someone based on prejudice or misinformation due to their race, then it's likely I'll be accused of being a racist.

It is quite obsessive of me I admit and I shall attempt to reduce my sarcastic racism comments in the future. Pity the same cannot be said by the other side of the topic eh you lot.

Dragon

I don't know why you include me in that reference, since I've never accused you of being a racist.

I took O'levels too, but since you were referring to your belief that they dont teach English in schools now, it's a bit irrelevant.

How do you know that they don't teach 'much about English' in your local school?

All schools in the UK, whether they be private or state, secular or not, have to follow the National Curriculum, a large part of the history syllabus being relevant to British and English history.

Personally I prefer it that my children had the opportunity to study other faiths and cultures (I'm an atheist by the way), so they understand the people from these cultures and make their own mind up without any biased input from me.

My son attended a local school - he has just finished there - and they did not teach him much English history but were teaching about Islam. While I am not against children learning about other religions I think they should also be taught about our own, yet even when I was at school RE was nothing to do with English religion but more about multicultural society.

I'm hardly a sport fanatic myself, but you don't have to be one to be proud of our youngsters achievements on the international stage.

I do not like sports at all. Great for them and their achievements but all it means is - someone else lost. Not a great thing for the losers ego, and we are just talking about sports here - which I think of as no big deal.

It's very odd that your resisting this notion, since you're the one searching for things that you can still be proud of.

Nah! I am not searching for things to be proud of. I know what I am proud of. got a whole list of things I am proud of thanky very much.

No they get targetted as being racist if there comments have an overtone of racism.

It follows that if I were to make a derogatory statement about someone based on prejudice or misinformation due to their race, then it's likely I'll be accused of being a racist.

That brings up the ideas of derogatory statement; ensuring that their comment was based on prejudice or misinformation due to their race. It is then a question of how you view those things and we do not all share the same views. I, believing my comments would be taken in context, stated that I did not like anyone who was not English, and some have pounced on it and now labelled me a xenophobe. Hey ho.

I don't know why you include me in that reference, since I've never accused you of being a racist.

I was not specifically referring to you as in you personally or I would have used your name - I was meaning to say "You lot and you know who you are".

Hope that has cleared that little lot up and we can get back on topic.

Dragon

My son attended a local school - he has just finished there - and they did not teach him much English history but were teaching about Islam. While I am not against children learning about other religions I think they should also be taught about our own, yet even when I was at school RE was nothing to do with English religion but more about multicultural society.

I cannot speak for your son's school, but did he obtain a GCSE in History?

I remember too RE lessons at school and like most of my class was grateful that it wasnt wholly a discussion about Christianity, which would have sent us all to sleep. Religion was actually a small part of those lessons.

I do not like sports at all. Great for them and their achievements but all it means is - someone else lost. Not a great thing for the losers ego, and we are just talking about sports here - which I think of as no big deal.

From your earlier comments about the superiority of the English, I wouldn't have thought that the egos of the losers would concern you.

Nah! I am not searching for things to be proud of. I know what I am proud of. got a whole list of things I am proud of thanky very much.

Ok, so why do you appear unhappy with it, reflecting negatively about the current state of this country compared to the 'good old days'? I'm merely giving you examples of things we (and you), should be singing from the rooftops about..England is great..always was, always will be, believe it!!

I said ... oh dear - repeats on here are worse than on BBC 2. I am not searching for things to be proud of. I know what ... and so on.

Never said I was unhappy with the things I am proud of. I am unhappy that others cannot find things to be proud of and must always seem to base this countries achievements on its multicultural society. We did achieve things before we became a multicultural society or do you think that until a couple of hundred years ago we were just a tiny ignorant island wallowing in a puddle trapped between America and Europe?

They were the good old days as far as I am concerned, and there are many aspects of todays society I am very unhappy about - and I place the blame upon the doorsteps of those who condemn everything we stand for - either directly or by snide remarks that . The blame for todays mistakes is a complete lack of respect - and a lack of respect brought about by a feeling that we as a nation have nothing to be proud of that is ours.

And I do mean Ours - as in Britains. Not imported from Africa or Europe or Russia or America or anywhere else - but ours.

Whooops! That's me on my high horse again - waiting for some numpty (not you boyfriday) to come and try to knock me off.

Dragon

I said ... oh dear - repeats on here are worse than on BBC 2. I am not searching for things to be proud of. I know what ... and so on.

Never said I was unhappy with the things I am proud of. I am unhappy that others cannot find things to be proud of and must always seem to base this countries achievements on its multicultural society. We did achieve things before we became a multicultural society or do you think that until a couple of hundred years ago we were just a tiny ignorant island wallowing in a puddle trapped between America and Europe?

They were the good old days as far as I am concerned, and there are many aspects of todays society I am very unhappy about - and I place the blame upon the doorsteps of those who condemn everything we stand for - either directly or by snide remarks that . The blame for todays mistakes is a complete lack of respect - and a lack of respect brought about by a feeling that we as a nation have nothing to be proud of that is ours.

And I do mean Ours - as in Britains. Not imported from Africa or Europe or Russia or America or anywhere else - but ours.

Whooops! That's me on my high horse again - waiting for some numpty (not you boyfriday) to come and try to knock me off.

Dragon

..nuff said :thumbsup:

I have seen one or two really nasty graffittis in Tenerife years ago which told the English to go home and not bring disrepute to the island cos they have taken all the jobs!
Where in Tenerife did you see that graffiti? I've never seen it?