Are the English a dying breed?

Oh dear! Popular misconception. It is the design on the cross that is of celtic design. There is no proof - historically or archaeologically that the celts ever spread into central England. They were in wales, ireland, and south of the Thames. The celtic cross is mainly a symbol of Scotland and not England, though replications of the design can be found all over the place - like most other symbols.

Dragon

Oh dear! Popular misconception. It is the design on the cross that is of celtic design. There is no proof - historically or archaeologically that the celts ever spread into central England. They were in wales, ireland, and south of the Thames. The celtic cross is mainly a symbol of Scotland and not England, though replications of the design can be found all over the place - like most other symbols.

Dragon

I thought South of the Thames was in England... obviously another popular misconception of mine, and if you notice I have been talking about it as a symbol of Britain and the Celtic Church in Britain.

Let's bring this back to England since that is waht the thread is about and the flag of Saint George. Does it offend you that racists and Nazis have tried to appropriate it?

The area south of the Thames is a small part of England - not the whole blooming isle. There is no need to be so obviously pedantic. There is no such thing as Celtic Britain, and certainly no Celtic England. Celt is a system of living - not an invading tribe. The celts were any who adopted those practices, and the celtic practices were pretty close to ones we already had in this country before the advent of the celtic versions.

The flag of Saint George will always be an emblem of England no matter who uses it, but it is more importantly a symbol of christianity and I am no christian - nor do I see christianity as being particularly English.

I do not get offended when people use symbols for whatever they use them for. The cross - for instance - that is used in churches was not the thing christ was supposedly crucified on. The pentacle is not particularly pagan or a witch symbol.

I could go on and on but there is not much point and for the last time no - I am not going to be offended by the use of symbols by anyone.

Dragon

Dragon

:confused:

http://www.roman-britain.org/tribes/tribes.htm

Oo by the way - the flag of saint george was used by the Knights Templer and there are not many people who were worse than them for atrocities when the movement went bad.

Just thought you may like to know.

Dragon

Oh dear greybeard. I have seen the site, and seen the works of Schama and others, and what they rely on - as many archaeologists will admit - is what they dig up. If they dig up a load of pottery with celtic designs on then they need to assume the celts were in that location.

In a hundred years time archeaologists will think everyone in Britain was from Taiwan.

Dragon

More importantly greybeard - look at historical time scales and you will see that those supposed celtic tribes were present long before the advent of the celts.

Dragon

Some English nationalists consider that the white dragon is more appropriate than the CoSG:

http://www.wearetheenglish.com/flag_white_dragon.htm

The dragon of the Britons can still be seen in the Red Dragon of the Welsh flag. For the English it was the White Dragon emblem that was to prove most enduring. Legend has it that the defeat of their Celtic enemies by the early English was foretold in a prophecy. It goes that in an underground lake slept two dragons. The Britons were represented by a red dragon and the English by a white dragon. When they awoke they started fighting and the red dragon was overcome by the white one, symbolically representing the victory of the Anglo-Saxons over their Celtic adversaries.

The Celtic cross is seen all over Britain in old Churches, it is a symbol of Britain and our Celtic pre-roman church. :huh:

We clearly have a very different idea of what patriotism is about if you are upset that Pc myths about blackboards are unpatriotic but indifferent to the Celtic Cross's appropriation by racists and Nazis.

A myth ?I should do a bit of googling if I were you...I suppose Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep is a PC myth as well?

I wish they would get the blooming colours right. It is so annoying

Are you trying to wind me up? White dragon indeed.

Dragon

A myth ?I should do a bit of googling if I were you...I suppose Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep is a PC myth as well?

Do you really think a couple of schools adapting a popular nursery rhyme can be equated with the appropriation of our national symbolism by racists and Nazis?

Besides, we have a proud history of adapting songs, look at all the variations on Colonel Bogey

I wish they would get the blooming colours right. It is so annoying

Are you trying to wind me up? White dragon indeed.

Dragon

:confused: Why, what colour dragon are you? :D