Police clamp down on uninsured drivers, today, City Rd

Think its time that the insurance industry supplied the car insurance cert in a credit card size so it can fit in a wallet mine are aways A4

As far as iam aware it is not an offence to drive without your licence on you , I seem to remember that when the police requested this a few years ago parlement rejected the idea

we recently purchased a car and i insured it over the net then went to pick it up on the way back we were pulled by the police and they took it away by receovery truck as the insurance company was shut at that time so couldnt phone and they wouldnt come to my home to check my laptop for my details, they wouldnt accept a fax, so had to wait 3 days for the cover note to come through and present it at the police station and pay 135.00 to collect car. the car was on the police database as being insured 4 days later after taking policy out. so people be warned especialy if you get ****ty policeman like i did.

Think its time that the insurance industry supplied the car insurance cert in a credit card size so it can fit in a wallet mine are aways A4

zurich do i received a credit card with al details on briliant

In actual fact you are legally obliged to produce your driving licence, MOT certificate and insurance certificate immediately at the roadside, and failure to do so is an offence.

As a courtesy the police can issue "producers" that give you seven days to present your documents at a police station of your choice, but this has diminished with the use of ANPR and driver/insurance databases.

If it looks dodgy they can take your car until you provide the proof of insurance.

i got pulled on saturday becuase they said that i had no insurance but i have, he were going to inpound my car becuase he couldnt check with my insurance on a sat, so who would have to pay to get it out then when i have done the right thing by insuring the car its not my fault the police dont have the powers to call the insurance company on a sat!

we recently purchased a car and i insured it over the net then went to pick it up on the way back we were pulled by the police and they took it away by receovery truck as the insurance company was shut at that time so couldnt phone and they wouldnt come to my home to check my laptop for my details, they wouldnt accept a fax, so had to wait 3 days for the cover note to come through and present it at the police station and pay 135.00 to collect car. the car was on the police database as being insured 4 days later after taking policy out. so people be warned especialy if you get ****ty policeman like i did.

They just like annoying motorists dont they because its easy work and motorists are easy targets and as a rule dont give the cops much trouble

To be fair, if you decided to drive a car with no documentation available to prove you were insured, what did you expect them to do? My dad runs a cab firm and he's had so many cars written off by uninsured scum we've lost count. I'd far rather any potentially uninsured care was off the road than he lost another source of income. And it should really be common sense not to drive a vehicle you can't prove you're insured on.

They don't accept photocopies, suppose they're easy to change/fake...? :)

If you scan and print it, it will likely be indistinguishable from the original - I did one for my wife to keep in her bag and can't see any difference to the original.

ultimately people SHOULD carry their licence, insurance and MOT cert. If they dont they will be given a producer, this is a courtesey given on part of the police as they know not everybody carries these items. If a person then fails to produce these items within 7 days they will be reported on summons to court.

This is completely correct and has been the case for many years. Whilst it is an offence not to carry your documents in the car, the police are aware of the risks of doing so and do not encourage drivers to carry them. The seven days grace is a courtesy extended to drivers to give them the chance to produce their documents. Ultimately if you do not produce the documents in time, you are guilty of failure to produce as well as not having the legal documentation.

With the advent of the new technology, you should only really need to carry your license with you. There are often problems with the database however and the old laws can take effect.

i got pulled on saturday becuase they said that i had no insurance but i have, he were going to inpound my car becuase he couldnt check with my insurance on a sat, so who would have to pay to get it out then when i have done the right thing by insuring the car its not my fault the police dont have the powers to call the insurance company on a sat!

I thought all insurers had a 24/7 accident reporting number ? Use that number to confirm your policy is valid ?

To be fair, if you decided to drive a car with no documentation available to prove you were insured, what did you expect them to do? My dad runs a cab firm and he's had so many cars written off by uninsured scum we've lost count. I'd far rather any potentially uninsured care was off the road than he lost another source of income. And it should really be common sense not to drive a vehicle you can't prove you're insured on.

what i load of rubbish how many drivers do you know that carry documents about with them becuase they can get stolen by the scum and used as identity theft

get real!!!!!!!!!!!

i agree fully with the police, but the go on about all the powers they have to inpound cars but they dont have the powers to check that the innocent drivers like me that has a clean licence and has so for the 13 years that i have been driving , i have never been pulled!!

There is a website somewhere where you can enter a registration number and find out if the car has insurance. It was posted on the forum some months ago.

Is this the site?

http://www.askmid.com/

I assume if I pass a cop car it will flag as uninsured although it will be insured. What documentation can I give them if I will have insured it over the phone the day before?

This is the 21st century. Ask them to email you a PDF of your certificate, so you can print it out.