The Tinsley Towers demolition morning megathread

I came back from york by train last night and it looked very strange - almost missed the station as I always got up when I saw them and started to get my bits together

Anyway , I have a plan on the way to york yesterday I noticed two power stations with lots of cooling towers, how about SF member sneaking out one night and pushing two of them down the A1/M18/M1 to replace the ones weve lost ?

they can find some thing better to build as the land has been barran for years,mat be another meadow hall,shopping complex

Someone else suggested they might use the debris as the foundations for the new plant.

Personally, I think they should sell the concrete.

Call me daft, but I'd buy a lump.

I wouldn't buy a lump, if they are moved to somewhere else in the city and we get wind of it on here, I'm sure that the pile of rubble will reduce in size as people claim their piece of heritage.

i'd have a peice if it was free, my dad has a lump of the old stone wadsley bridge when it was blown up and a ribbon from the Queen mary cruise liner when it left southamptom for its last voyage to the USA sad i know but its what it means to the person i guess

Andy

they can find some thing better to build as the land has been barran for years,mat be another meadow hall,shopping complex

Ummm.... no! A biomass power station is to be built. Another blot on the landscape but without the symbolism of the cooling towers.

All this fuss about losing the 2 cooling towers - what a load of sentimental tosh. Let's be honest, they were a bloody eyesore and they were not good for the image of Sheffield.

I work all around the country and most people I meet, who do not really know Sheffield, have a negative, dirty industrial image of the city, based on their fleeting view from Tinsley viaduct as they drive past it on the motorway. If we want to shed this unfortunate "industrial" image then getting rid of those two carbunkles just off Tinsley viaduct is a good start.

Now, the question is, what we will put in their place? For me, it has to be something that will be representative of Sheffield - something that says "This is what Sheffield is all about".

So, I'd propose another mosque like the one on Wolsley Road. Or maybe, a Giant Balti Dish.

Or maybe a huge flightless bird with only one wing - a left wing that is, to represent the dysfunctional socialite councils that have allowed our city to slip behind those of similar sized cities elsewhere.

All this fuss about losing the 2 cooling towers - what a load of sentimental tosh. Let's be honest, they were a bloody eyesore and they were not good for the image of Sheffield.

I work all around the country and most people I meet, who do not really know Sheffield, have a negative, dirty industrial image of the city, based on their fleeting view from Tinsley viaduct as they drive past it on the motorway. If we want to shed this unfortunate "industrial" image then getting rid of those two carbunkles just off Tinsley viaduct is a good start.

Now, the question is, what we will put in their place? For me, it has to be something that will be representative of Sheffield - something that says "This is what Sheffield is all about".

So, I'd propose another mosque like the one on Wolsley Road. Or maybe, a Giant Balti Dish.

Or maybe a huge flightless bird with only one wing - a left wing that is, to represent the dysfunctional socialite councils that have allowed our city to slip behind those of similar sized cities elsewhere.

People only have a negative view until they come here and spend some time.Look at the thread about the person from Birmingham who has just moved here to study.he is very impressed.

If we want to shed this unfortunate "industrial" image then getting rid of those two carbunkles just off Tinsley viaduct is a good start.

Why should Sheffield want to shed its industrial image? Does it not symbolise hard word? I am proud of our heritage and certainly would want it turn into some poncy silicon valley.

People only have a negative view until they come here and spend some time.Look at the thread about the person from Birmingham who has just moved here to study.he is very impressed.

I totally agree. In fact, Sheffield has one of the highest student retention rates of any city in the country. It is indeed a great place to live - that doesn't mean it's the most progressive city in the country - or even on a par with some other cities of similar size in terms of what it has to offer in terms of facilities, i.e. transport, restaurants, bars, cafes, nightlife, etc. But, I have not met many people, if any, who don't end up falling in love with the place. I think there's no better place to live - but that doesn't mean I'm going to sit here and pretend that everything about it is good - because it isn't. And I'd like to see it improve further. I'd like to see big companies investing here - i'd like the choice and selection of places to go like Manchester has for example.

But I wouldn't swop Sheffield for Manchester or anywhere else as a place to live.