The Tinsley Towers demolition morning megathread

Sorry no idea why it isn't working, the file is 1.6mb so it may be a connection issue if you don't have broard band.

try looking at

which is the same video on you tube

good luck

cheers, I had seen that video earlier on youtube and put it in my favourites didn't realise it was yours. Great video and the best footage so far. :thumbsup:

I have heard just Junction 34 is closed now.

Reported Service Alterations

Demolition of Blackburn Meadows (Tinsley) Cooling Towers:

The M1 and A631 (Tinsley Viaduct) will remain closed until 1945 on Sunday. Expect significant delays of upto 40 minutes in the Meadowhall area.

Veolia A1 - the entire service on Sunday 24th will operate as follows:

Journeys from Rotherham as normal route to Tinsley M1 Junction then via Sheffield road, Vulcan Road, Meadowahll Way to Meadowhall Interchange and then normal route to Sheffield. Journeys from Sheffield form Meadowhall Interchange via Meadowhall Road, Meadowhall Way, Vulcan Road, Sheffield Road and then normal route to Rotherham. This diversion will continue whilst the viaduct is closed.

Coaches – National Express and Megabus services will continue to operate to Meadowhall Interchange, but may be delayed due to the longer route taken to get to Meadowhall. Coaches operated by the various Eastern European coach companies that usually stop at the Coach Park will be directed to stop at the lay-by in front of the Sainsbury petrol station.

Bus & Tram Services:

There are no reported problems other than those reported above.

Road Closures:

For the latest information on road closures please listen to your Local radio station or click here to access the online BBC Travel News. http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/traffic_latest_feature.shtml

It was a bit weird driving past the viaduct this morning and not being able to see the towers. I knew something had gone wrong as soon as I saw they hadn't reopened it.

I'd have been there myself but I was just too tired after my inconsiderate neighbour woke me up in the early hours of the previous night. So tired in fact that I slept though the explosions even though the towers were less than a mile away.

Bye bye Tinsley Two and thanks for not going easily ;)

A bit late as I've only just got the dust out of my eyes but here's my contribution, taken from Meadowhall Road.

For anyone who was up there I was the one sat on top of the white Vivaro van wearing a yellow hi vis coat. :cool:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=f4dw4pcsVSw

I felt a little let down.

When we had an earthquake earlier this year, there was no coverage or announcement by the BBC News 24 channel. Now, with the demolition, there is no live coverage by BBC Sheffield either. in fact, there isn't any mention about the demolition at all, instead they have all sorts of reports from across the world.

This may seem local and pretty insignificant, but it is the type of news I care about. At least the BBC should spare 10 seconds of air time and pay tribute to the towers.

The same can be said about ITV / Sky.

Have to say that when the earthquake happened, I had News 24 on at the time and it only took 21 minutes for them to say they were getting reports of an earthquake in this region.

Anyway, we watched it with a few other people from the path/fields below Hinde House School. Unfortunately too far away for any decent photos (UI had expected slightly more floodlighting for the occasion).

I dropped a major goolie by trying to drive home via Barrow Road/Tyler Street not anticipating the huge volume of traffic and pedestrians and also the roadworks, temporary lights, etc., etc., and it took me 50 minutes to get back across town home. There was a lot of hooting but only cos Radio Sheffield said "honk if you're listening to Radio Sheffield", not really in anger I don't think. The fuss over the failure of the North Tower to go completely was really amusing though, and I was really pleased it didn't go quite as smoothly as they'd planned or predicted :hihi: but that's the cynic in me.

Does anyone know anything about the trains? Are any being able to leave meadowhall station at all? Thanks

Isn't the Daily Mail just the most pathetic piece of bog roll ever printed?

Apparently we all stood in shock and horror this morning. Someone must have edited ito the videos the cheering, applause and car horns after the event then?

"Thousands of onlookers watched in horror as the detonation of Sheffield's iconic Tinsley Towers did not go according to plan."

What a load of rubbish! And to top it off, plonked in the middle of it all is a link to footage of the World Trade Center. Like that has anything to do with Tinsley Towers! A decent collection of pictures though.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1048652/Pictured-Its-end-era-controversial-Tinsley-Towers-demolished.html