The Tinsley Towers demolition morning megathread

I miss them, too.

I used to watch out for them as we were driving home, on the motorway, or travelling on the train.

It's funny, but I used to think "I'm home :) " when I saw the towers...

(same as when I was coming into Sheffield, from the Chesterfield side of town, I used to look for the "three sisters", at Herdings - there are only two, now)

Yep - definitely miss them. They were an iconic landmark. I used to be able to see them from the top of Crookes on a clear day.

Yep - definitely miss them. They were an iconic landmark. I used to be able to see them from the top of Crookes on a clear day.

That makes me feel really sad.

I was relieved to see them go. It has opened-up the valley. The viaduct itself and the grotesque sight of Meadowhall is enough to remind me where I am.

I miss the Tinsley two ):

I was relieved to see them go. It has opened-up the valley. The viaduct itself and the grotesque sight of Meadowhall is enough to remind me where I am.

Ditto. Use the space to get a modern, wide, impressive motorway bridge across that valley.

Don Valley: Million pound artwork and power plans

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-15078102

One of the proposed redevelopment sites is the former site of the Tinsley cooling towers, which were demolished in 2008.

When the demolition took place, E.On said it would provide funding towards a piece of public art.

The artists have yet to be shortlisted and a design is to be chosen at the beginning of 2012.

Ditto. Use the space to get a modern, wide, impressive motorway bridge across that valley.

In a couple of years, a new power station will be up and running on that site, burning biomass.

Run by E.On.

Probarbly the best pictures you will see and an entertaining read ! Not my creation (unfortunately)

http://rs250-squid.blogspot.com/

I'm the author of the blog post and I took the photographs which were featured in it. I'm pleased you all enjoyed them, I was happy with them too, being new to photograpy at the time.

Hard to believe that we're talking about something that happened five years ago, isn't it. A lot has changed since then.

I still miss the towers, but it looks as if there is construction over where they used to be, and it looks as if it's coming along nicely. Curiosity might make me wonder what is taking place there, but I suppose that being off up to Glasgow sometime next year (change of scenery) I'll have to view from afar.

I still think it's a shame they came down. There was no more reason to remove the towers than there is to demolish the building that now houses Magna.

But hey.

all the best folks :).

I'm the author of the blog post and I took the photographs which were featured in it. I'm pleased you all enjoyed them, I was happy with them too, being new to photograpy at the time.

Hard to believe that we're talking about something that happened five years ago, isn't it. A lot has changed since then.

I still miss the towers, but it looks as if there is construction over where they used to be, and it looks as if it's coming along nicely. Curiosity might make me wonder what is taking place there, but I suppose that being off up to Glasgow sometime next year (change of scenery) I'll have to view from afar.

I still think it's a shame they came down. There was no more reason to remove the towers than there is to demolish the building that now houses Magna.

But hey.

all the best folks :).

This is what's being built at Tinsley now..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-15716740