The Tinsley Towers demolition morning megathread

Why should Sheffield want to shed its industrial image? Does it not symbolise hard word? I am proud of our heritage and certainly would want it turn into some poncy silicon valley.

I see, so "industrial" is "macho" then, and things to do with Information Technology is more "poncy". That's logical? You remind me of some of my schoolmates who thought that getting a job at the local coal mine was better than going into an office job like me, because mining was a mans job and office work was for poofs. Same kind of logic.

Let me tell you why Sheffield should want to shed its industrial image - because it is no longer an industrial city - that's why. I didn't say we should lose the industrial "heritage" which is something quite different. But in terms of us positioning our city as a modern, attractive, desirable place to live and work then "industrial" image is not good for us.

Outside of Sheffield, to the uninitiated, it still has this grimy Northern town image. If we want our city to attract investment, better shops, restaurants, houses, roads, transport systems, leisure facilities etc etc etc, we need to tell the world what a nice place this is and a couple of decrepid, useless cooling towers at Tinsley didn't help that cause one iota.

I see, so "industrial" is "macho" then, and things to do with Information Technology is more "poncy". That's logical? You remind me of some of my schoolmates who thought that getting a job at the local coal mine was better than going into an office job like me, because mining was a mans job and office work was for poofs. Same kind of logic.

Let me tell you why Sheffield should want to shed its industrial image - because it is no longer an industrial city - that's why. I didn't say we should lose the industrial "heritage" which is something quite different. But in terms of us positioning our city as a modern, attractive, desirable place to live and work then "industrial" image is not good for us.

Outside of Sheffield, to the uninitiated, it still has this grimy Northern town image. If we want our city to attract investment, better shops, restaurants, houses, roads, transport systems, leisure facilities etc etc etc, we need to tell the world what a nice place this is and a couple of decrepid, useless cooling towers at Tinsley didn't help that cause one iota.

So Sheffield isn't developing quite rapidly at the moment? In fact I think its been developing quite nicely since the early 90s.

I eargerly await the huge influx of cash being invested here now the towers are gone. ;)

BTW I work in an office.......associated with the constcruction industry.

All this fuss about losing the 2 cooling towers - what a load of sentimental tosh. Let's be honest, they were a bloody eyesore and they were not good for the image of Sheffield.

Yeah!!

Now the 2 bloody eyesores have gone we now have beautiful panoramic views of Outo kumpu and the sewage farm in all their glory, lets also not forget Meadowhall, surely the eighth wonder of the world...

Hardly the Hanging gardens of Babylon.

Some things have a place in the world and some dont, there is a place for industry and a place for Coffie bars. IMO, the towers had their place quite suitably for many years and lest us not forget that EON are building a Biomass power station on the site.

Is that a good image for Sheffield?

I wonder if the new power station will have any cooling towers...

Some do don't they :).

Aww I drove past where they once stood for the first time since the demolition tonight, very strange not to have the two towers there to let me know im home!

Aww I drove past where they once stood for the first time since the demolition tonight, very strange not to have the two towers there to let me know im home!

You lived in the towers?

What was the view like? :D

All this fuss about losing the 2 cooling towers - what a load of sentimental tosh. Let's be honest, they were a bloody eyesore and they were not good for the image of Sheffield.

I work all around the country and most people I meet, who do not really know Sheffield, have a negative, dirty industrial image of the city, based on their fleeting view from Tinsley viaduct as they drive past it on the motorway. If we want to shed this unfortunate "industrial" image then getting rid of those two carbunkles just off Tinsley viaduct is a good start.

Now, the question is, what we will put in their place? For me, it has to be something that will be representative of Sheffield - something that says "This is what Sheffield is all about".

"This is what Sheffield is all about"? Why not two cooling towers as a sign of Sheffield's industrial heratige?

Oh, I'm sorry. Sheffield's never been known for it's hard work, and industrial heratige, has it?

Do you know that Don Valley was once the heart of Sheffield Steel, before it became the name of an athletics track?

The towers symbolised all that was Sheffield, and now they've gone, and just because you don't like them, everyone has to dislike them, too.

New powerstation will have a furnace chimney at least 250ft high from preliminary schemes I have seen, and most probably a cooling tower too.

Maybe we should knock down all our castles and statues, after all we don't want to remind people we used to fight each other with swords, take money off the poor and live in huts.

Careful, or else some politically correct twunt will propose exactly that.

I've been to Meadowhall this evening and there was a big rainbow appearing up from the towers site - looked lovely! I'll upload a pic soon

We've now heard no end of speculation about how the tinsley towers were dropped, ranging from aliens hitting them from outer space with high energy particle beams to them being knocked over by hijacked aeroplanes ...

Apologise to the 8,24 truthers, if we sound cynical, but i've seen loads of controlled demolitions, and given that the debris from the towers landed pretty well in their own footprints, then it will take something other than wild, nay almost childish theories to convince us that the official story is not the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth ...

Having said that though, we will debunk here and now, one particularly pernicious rumour that is currently circulating; the one that states that whilst explosives may have been responsible for crumbling the towers' concrete skins, explosives could not have possible taken out the towers' numorous internal fixtures and fittings ...

To this WE say:

# i. the english heritage (listing) adviser's report, dated 10 march 2008 clearly states that:

# "All bar one pipe in one of the towers has been stripped out from the cooling towers" [1]

# We have no problem with believing this -- we think jacqui spliff is on to something when she suggests that poverty may lead to larceny ... and given what thatcher and macgregor did to this area, we find it very difficult to believe that even one pipe was left, unless of course, it was made of plastic

# ii. Even if the internal structure of the towers' had been composed of 47 steel box columns and designed to withstand all kinds of loads, bends and sheers, then it still doesn't matter does it, one can design blasting patterns, with staggered detonation, to cut and burn and collapse all the internals out of the way [cf 2] ...

In conclusion, we will try our uppermost to keep an open mind as to how and why the towers were dropped, but we will take no truck from any idiologue no matter what political persuasion or inside leg measurement, and shall submit my final report to the powers that be within seven years of the date of the incident in question