The Tinsley Towers demolition morning megathread

There were people parking on both sides of the roads, yellow lines, peoples gardens!

It was grid lock on tyler street looking over meadowhall and tinsley!

Mental!!!!!!!!

Hope your ok mate, I thought they would be a few idiots kicking off, lots of broken bottles and trolleys to clean u in the carpark at meadowhall too.

I'm fine bud. I was probably due a good chinning anyway, not had one for a while. I found a free party near the canal afterwards so that cheered me up a bit!

That slo mo works a treat.

Thanks.

I used Sony Vegas 8. Cost me an arm and a leg but it is the best video editing software I have ever used.

we were up on the yellow car park watchin..quite a few round us had gone in fancy dress....boiler suits flat caps etc...wen we turned to come back to the car...thought i saw some more people in fancy dress....then i looked more closely and i cudnt believe my eyes....there was a weddin party there!!! she was still in her white gown and some of their guests were still all togged up!!! Good on her i thought...she was carryin a bottle of champers!!! 3am on yr wedddin night and yr standing watchin the tinsley towers bein demolished..or attemptin to be demolished...but just shows how strongly folk felt about these towers....wont be the same again comin down M1 towards sheffield...will it??...

went down last night with the intention of going to the top car parks,

but from the view of the car park chaos (from the road above the tram station) we decided against it,

ive not seen as many people out at that time in the morning ... ever :)

apart from being "told off" by a woman as "we'v been here since 11pm and your in our spot" :hihi: it went pretty well :),

we settled on the bank just off the top road up from the health centre

i took a few pics as well as some video despite the drizzle :rolleyes:

here's a couple of photo's before the demolition

panorama 1

and panorama 2

we didn't hear any klaxons,or car horns,just a blue flash at the base of the south tower and 2 bangs,and down they both went,

on my vid theres a woman saying "the swines the swines .. nooooooo .."

followed by applause from the large crowd behind me ;),

i felt pretty emotional when i realised that part of the north tower was "sticking it" to "e-off" :P

"good on you give em hell" i said quietly to myself ;)

JJ..

Hubby, son and I had a great view of the towers and meadowhall.

We drove up to Sky Edge and watched it from there, and although we didn't hear the bang, we could easily make out the towers.

The amount of flashes as people took photos was amazing to see.

It did look as though it had fallen onto the viaduct, and then we heard over the radio that something had gone wrong. We did actually think that there had been an accident or one of the towers had fallen the wrong way for a moment.

Damkina

me and the mate did originaly intend to watch from stanage pole (something a little differant) but neither of us realy wanted to lug the camera gear right up there :P

heres a few more

not brilliant as im still learning my way round the new camera,

south tower going

north tower going

lost in the smoke

and out from the dust and smoke it,could almost be a scene from blade runner :hihi:

the stuborn lower section

JJ..

But hey 20k is good turn out for 3am on a Sunday morning :D

:o 20k is that how many were there?

good on you sheffielders, just wish i could have been there to witness it myself but couldn't make it :(

:o 20k is that how many were there?

good on you sheffielders, just wish i could have been there to witness it myself but couldn't make it :(

Don't worry. As with acts that prove to be a success there is bound to be a repeat performance. The Tinsley Towers will be rebuilt and then demolished again, probably around Christmas (if you thought the first show was spectacular imagine what it would be like if they were covered with fairy lights and topped with giant Santas).

And the following year they will be built within sight of the Glastonbury Festival site and demolished at the end of the festival.

Of course, by then the Tinsley Towers will be competing with Meadowhall which will be demolished in front of a crowd sitting in stands all along both decks of the Tinsley Viaduct.

This post may contain some wishful thinking