The Tinsley Towers demolition morning megathread

Why is it that sheffielders always have to jump on the band wagon with everything. The cooling towers were on ROTHERHAM territory not on sheffield as Blackburn Meadows is in Rotherham. Just like Robin Hood airport belongs to Doncaster and not Sheffield. Build your own cooling towers and airport.

But look at what Sheffield has contributed to Blackburn Meadows.:thumbsup:

Why is it that sheffielders always have to jump on the band wagon with everything. The cooling towers were on ROTHERHAM territory not on sheffield as Blackburn Meadows is in Rotherham. Just like Robin Hood airport belongs to Doncaster and not Sheffield. Build your own cooling towers and airport.

I'm not sure you're correct, adam. My 2002 edition of the A-Z shows an enclave of Sheffield extending to the east of the motorway as far as the Blackburn Meadows Nature Reserve.

You would be right if you were to say that Rother Valley Country Park is in Rotherham. You're also right about the airport - though I don't think it was the people of Sheffield's idea to re-locate their airport 25 miles away.

You forgot to include the Town Hall in your list.

I love the town hall. Needs a bit of a clean but it's one of the nicer ones in the city.

I was really sad to see them go. It should've have happened. It all looks just wrong over there now. I always thought it was a reminder to the people on the M1 that we are the Steel City and that's what we did for the country. :(

M1 looks set to remain closed most of the day (between 32 and 34). Expected opening time 19:30 according to THIS site

Not quite as they had planned it!

They've gone :banana::clap::wave:

Now where's Guy Fawkes when you need him?

Why on earth are the reports saying the remains on the tower collapsed itself?

Why not just say the truth - "the remains of the tower were pulled down by excavators". We know it didn't all come down with the blast anyway, why should using machinery to demolish it be any different?

http://i36.tinypic.com/2k4f1h.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't quite get the camera set up in time to record the tallest piece being "nudged" down. Seems like they are a bit embarrased though, as they didn't like me hanging around that spot with an SLR -even if I'd left my tripod in the car

Strange now how the HUGE GASOMETERS at Wincobank seem to be the landmark. Now they ARE what you call an eyesore! They must be well over 60 years old so I think it's time they went as well.

Actually I disagree. When I used to work in Rotherham I would take a bus through Wincobank down to Meadowhall and a train from there. At the right time in the morning, when the golden sunrise hits the bronze coloured sides of the gas towers, they are a beautiful sight in my opinion.

Was a good turn out and quite a sight to behold. I'd particuarly like to thank the young man who punched me for no reason, almost taking my ear off with his scummy soverign ring. I think I'll need stitches. But I enjoyed it anyway.

Good on yer mate. Couldn't agree more. I've been in Manchester since 1951 and have always argued that the Manchester Ship Canal was in Salford and Manchester United was mis-named and should be Trafford United.

Anyway, the fate of those cooling towers has finally been sorted and those among us who were willing to rely on British demolition expertese were right to do so.

And may I close with the observation that all motorway drivers who cannot read signs and have to use landmarks to find their way around, ought to be banned from all roads — for ever!

Hehe - two minute mention and 30 second clip on the Beeb just now :)

Typical, some poxy little Chinese Firework display gets all the attention! :D