The Tinsley Towers demolition morning megathread

There must have been 10,000 in Meadowhall alone! We could see people all around - so all told must have been 20,000 across all the different locations. Some people next to us had come over from Warrington.

I suspect one of the youtube links (probably the first) was taken by somebody standing not far from where we were :)

Having almost decided not to go (thinking my messenger pal had already left to walk it to a good spot), I was surprised to get a reply, made hasty arrangements, grabbed the car keys and the animal who was going to fret if I suddenly disappeared at 2am, and headed across town

The route from here to Concorde Park takes me past the arena (when I can't use the M1 :rolleyes: ), so I encountered lots of traffic through Darnall, and even more crossing my route at Attercliffe Common and Brightside Lane - the amount of taxis was a bit of a surprise (which dope decided to blow them after night club kicking out time? :loopy: )

I had a clear run up t'other side of the hill, but got lost in the roadworks, so half plan of seeing if Dozy's light was still on and asking her along if it was didn't come off, and I stopped to consult the A to Z!

Back on track and it was dangerously close to the half 2 time I'd read somewhere, but there were a pack of dogs and a couple of nice forumers there to meet the houndlet and me to wander through the park in the pitch black (and a pack of teenagers behind us too)

We didn't actually know if we'd be able to see the towers from there, or if we could, where we'd need to be! But we found a good spec by standing in the middle of a football pitch. The dogs were a bit perplexed at so many people being in the park at that ungodly hour, Brude was still in shock at being out at that time at all I think, but they all took the bang in their stride :)

I only took one pic as phone cameras don't usually deal that well with the dark, and wrestling with a dog wasn't going to be conducive to videoing :(

my one and only pic (one behind the other)

Haunting traffic camera pic 1

Haunting traffic camera pic 2

Dawn rises on the rubble

A naked skyline 1

A naked skyline 2

I rang the police about some lost property after the demolition, and the call centre told me there was bedlam at meadowhall - gridlocked traffic, people, everything!

boy am I glad I had no intention of getting so close :D

Say what? Have some respect can't you, we're all in mourning here ... :rolleyes:

Go and slag our poor dead Towers off on some other thread, this one is reserved for people with sensibilities, we'll have no crassness here! :mad:

Other cities have leaning towers, palaces, cathdrals, etc. Sheffield has (had) a couple of concrete cooling towers.

Actually I was kind of hoping the half demolished tower would stay that way as a symbol of our fair city. :hihi:

my husband and son went onto one of the roads above, not sure which one and he said he had never seen so many people there were burger vans and pie and pie wagons all over lol

May be stupid but i am so upset they took them down :(

Skynews with it's usual crap reporting are saying it was a botched job and the motorway is in danger.