See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

Nice thread-think i know where it is will have a looke this weekend. Cant believe this thread hasnt been hi-jacked by the anti hallam post code envy brigade stating their anger at not having a view post.;)

Originally posted by Herbert

anti hallam post code envy brigade post.;)

That made me chuckle:P

Only 43 posts and you already know how this forum works.

Right, yesterday I took myself and a pair of binoculars up to Fulwood Lane and had a good look to see what I could see (see, see).

Lincoln Cathedral is very easy to see, even without the binoculars. All you have to do is find Norton Water Tower and it's in line with that! The power stations are also obvious.

I'm not sure if I found Humber Bridge - I thought I had, just the tops of the towers visible. And I think I found another water tower just south of York on the A19.

What's amazing is how the weather affects the view. Suddenly, sunlight will make a particular area light up; next, something you spotted earlier disappears.

It's fabulous - I'll be back up there soon - minus the kids!

When I was a little boy, I remember Mr Wragg the verger, telling people that one could see the sea from the top of Fulwood church.

Nonsense, but quite sweet in a way. Perhaps in those days you could!

Any body been up this year ?? I will definitely give it a try this weekend.

Any body been up this year ?? I will definitely give it a try this weekend.

Last week. We saw it for the first time, it's good fun. We wished we'd taken binoculars with us - make sure you do.

Before you all shout at me 'we've had this thread before' I ask for your patience.

In The Star a week or two back, there was a feature on what landmarks could be seen on a clear day from the Ringinglow / Hallam area of Sheffield. A farmer from Fulwood Head Farm, along with some Rotary Club members have built a stone plateau and on top there is a metal disc which describes what you can see and precisely where, should the weather be nice.

From the photograph in the now blue-binned paper, it looks like the pile of stones, or plateau, is situated around the Fulwood Lane area possibly near Fulwood Head Farm. The big question is, does anyone know exactly where it is? Is it a five minute walk from Fulwood Lane, higher up towards Ringinglow, or what?

This is a subject which continues to really interest me. The article stated that in perfect conditions you can see seven power stations, Lincoln Cathedral, Humber Bridge (sometimes without binoculars) and incredibly, York Minster.

I was up there today and remembered to take my binoculars. It's such a clear day that Lincoln Cathedral is visible, even without the binoculars once I'd located it. That's 43 miles away.

I couldn't see the Humber Bridge (52 miles)

I couldn't see the Humber Bridge (52 miles)

I've struggled to locate Humber Bridge yet my wife insists she's seen the tops of the towers.

Lincoln Cathedral is easily visible, even from Hallam School and without the binoculars. The furthest I can see is the White Horse at Kilburn - that's some distance away!

What I'm surprised I can't locate is York Minster and the M62 flyover near Howden, on the way to Goole.

I've struggled to locate Humber Bridge yet my wife insists she's seen the tops of the towers.

Lincoln Cathedral is easily visible, even from Hallam School and without the binoculars. The furthest I can see is the White Horse at Kilburn - that's some distance away!

What I'm surprised I can't locate is York Minster and the M62 flyover near Howden, on the way to Goole.

Perhaps it's because Lincoln Cathedral is on top of a hill whereas the York Minister, M62 Flyover & Humber Bridge all start pretty much at sea level - plus York and the bridge are a fair bit further from Sheffield than Lincoln.

anybody seen York Minister or the Humber Bridge yet? I thought I could see the tops of Humber Bridge last week but it might have been wishful thinking.

You've revived an old thread here!

The White Horse at Kilburn, which is further than York is visible and when the light allows, I'm fairly sure Humber Bridge is visible. In fact, I think you can see the latter from the Sportsman pub at Hallam (albeit, the tops of the towers).

I wonder if York Minster lies too low to be seen?

Maybe I should invest in some decent binoculars and set aside a good hour to nail precisely what can and cannot be seen from up here.

I wonder if York Minster lies too low to be seen?

Well, as far as I'm aware on a clear day you can see York Minster from Lincoln Cathedral (correct me if I'm wrong), so in theory it should be able to be seen from Sheffield, shouldn't it?