See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

Dear all,

Please find attached the images of York Minster, taken last year from Ringinglow road by my Father and me using a bird spotting scope and my Blackberry. You can see it with binoculars. It can also be seen from in front of the Ridge flats, Redmires Road - but you need to look carefully and the aspect isn't quite what it is in these images. Enjoy.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3515079

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3515062 - enhanced

Fantastic home brew solution - :thumbsup:

Hi Allwednesday. You can only just see one edge of the Minster from the viewing table. It is not really worth trying. The Minster is just visible just behind a cooling tower from there. Better to Ringinglow Road nr. the top of Hangram Lane (good) or outside Ridge Flats on Redmires Road (not quite as good - but has been done - but be prepared to look like a bit of a berk stading with telescope outside some flats while folk drive by!). If viewed from out front of Ridge Flats the aspect will be different and the Minster will not look as it does in the picture in relation to Ferrybridge.

Dear all,

Please find attached the images of York Minster, taken last year from Ringinglow road by my Father and me using a bird spotting scope and my Blackberry. You can see it with binoculars. It can also be seen from in front of the Ridge flats, Redmires Road - but you need to look carefully and the aspect isn't quite what it is in these images. Enjoy.

I am so grateful!

Magnificent pictures and now I know it's a physical possibility, I will return to Ringinglow (or top of Sandygate Road) with enthusiasm brimming!

I've been to the viewing table many times over the last few years I know Lincoln cathedral is on the brass plaque but can't remember seeing Yorkminster on there

I will go up on a clear frosty day and take another look! I really enjoy the fresh air up there too.

By the time I get to the viewing table I'm usually too exhausted to see anything!

One building that has interested me over the years is a large white building NE from the viewing table, it looks quite sinister like a government building..it's probably Makro!

By the time I get to the viewing table I'm usually too exhausted to see anything!

One building that has interested me over the years is a large white building NE from the viewing table, it looks quite sinister like a government building..it's probably Makro!

I believe that is Scunthorpe steel works.

Today might be a decent day to view the Minster, although it might be a bit too hazy to the north. Lincoln should be visible.

Edited by Oingo

Will get up in the near future it's best to go up on a frosty day when the sky's are crystal clear a lot of haze around at this time of year.

If viewed from outside The Ridge Flats, Lodge Moor, you look just to the left of the easternmost cooling tower of Ferrybridge (the power station which is furthest west visible). Half of the Minster fills the gap between the two easternmost cooling towers. It was visible today (745pm) with 10x binoculars from the top of The Ridge. Good hunting!

If viewed from outside The Ridge Flats, Lodge Moor, you look just to the left of the easternmost cooling tower of Ferrybridge (the power station which is furthest west visible). Half of the Minster fills the gap between the two easternmost cooling towers. It was visible today (745pm) with 10x binoculars from the top of The Ridge. Good hunting!

I went up to Fulwood Lane earlier. I could see something tall way in the distance right above the transmitter at Crosspool. It was very faint and too hazy to see clearly at that distance, but checking Google Earth suggests it could well have been the Humber bridge. Don't know if anyone has seen that before up there.

As mentioned, the best time for long distance viewing is a sunny, frosty day in December. The landscape far away always seems to be lit up better when the sun is low.

Edited by Colin Foster

Well done that sounds good I have taken note cheers.

I went up to Fulwood Lane earlier. I could see something tall way in the distance right above the transmitter at Crosspool. It was very faint and too hazy to see clearly at that distance, but checking Google Earth suggests it could well have been the Humber bridge. Don't know if anyone has seen that before up there.

As mentioned, the best time for long distance viewing is a sunny, frosty day in December. The landscape far away always seems to be lit up better when the sun is low.

Can't quite remember exactly where the Humber Bridge is in relation to our skyline but have seen it many times: you can see the two masts poking up above the horizon, and on a good day you can see the tops of the cables. Visible with binoculars and also without (masts only) if you have sharp eyes.

Dear all,

I'm failing to see how that can be York Minster to be honest, due to hills around Sheffield and such, but I pretty much agree it's relatively flat land past Rotherham heading towards the North Sea. Might Take my telescope up there one day and have a butchers