See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

Not local...

A while back camping at a farm site above Colwyn Bay, maybe 500ft ish.

Day of exceptional clarity and could plainly see a large island what looked like 20 miles away.

Turns out it was the Isle of Man much much further away.

The farmer said he had only ever seen it a couple if times ever.

10 minutes ago, supersonic said:

North Yorkshire Moors, about 65 miles away.

Ah right I did wonder if it was the NYM, amazing how far away you can see from a high vantage point.

Near me several of the Shropshire hills (the Wrekin, Long Mynd, Clee Hills etc) can be seen on any clear day.

Maybe a long shot, but is it possible to see Ratcliffe on Soar power station from Ringinglow or Grenoside? It’s chimney is 200m tall but it sits a good distance away from Sheffield.

Edited by LW950

3 minutes ago, LW950 said:

Maybe a long shot, but is it possible to see Ratcliffe on Soar power station from Ringinglow or Grenoside? It’s chimney is 200m tall but it sits a good distance away from Sheffield.

Ah, interesting you should say that! I think the top of the chimney is from some spots in Sheffield, the line of sight adds up so just need to drag the camera out on a clear day :)

FYI, I use a Sony DSC400 with 63x optical zoom.

I could imagine from  Owler Bar ,Radcliffe might be seen.

Would the relative high ground by Woodall Spa services would block view from Greno

2 minutes ago, supersonic said:

Ah, interesting you should say that! I think the top of the chimney is from some spots in Sheffield, the line of sight adds up so just need to drag the camera out on a clear day :)

FYI, I use a Sony DSC400 with 63x optical zoom.

Yeah there isn’t many obstructions to block the chimney from view I would’ve thought. Ah yeah I was wondering what camera you used for the photos as I am thinking of investing in one for these kind of photos.

I currently take mine using my smartphone held against the eye piece of my 10x50 binoculars - surprisingly it works well.

2 minutes ago, butlers said:

I could imagine from  Owler Bar ,Radcliffe might be seen.

Would the relative high ground by Woodall Spa services would block view from Greno

Yeah would’ve thought it’s possible from Owler Bar on a nice day.

What I see through my binoculars - also 10x50 - always looks better with my eye than the camera with the big zoom. I've got good results just shooting with a phone through the binocs the same way you do. 

I would however like the Nikon P1000 with the insane 120x optical.

It's a bit of an unusual hobby lol, all started years ago when a friend mentioned you can see the Minster from Sheffield. And nobody else believed you could: there are old tales of it, so I thought it needs to be photo'd. And I realised you can see even further, so slowly picking off distant targets!

3 minutes ago, supersonic said:

What I see through my binoculars - also 10x50 - always looks better with my eye than the camera with the big zoom. I've got good results just shooting with a phone through the binocs the same way you do. 

I would however like the Nikon P1000 with the insane 120x optical.

It's a bit of an unusual hobby lol, all started years ago when a friend mentioned you can see the Minster from Sheffield. And nobody else believed you could: there are old tales of it, so I thought it needs to be photo'd. And I realised you can see even further, so slowly picking off distant targets!

Similar to the way I got into the hobby as well.. always been interested in what you could see from long distances as you could see many power stations on the Trent from around here in Derbyshire. Eventually heard the rumour Lincoln Cathedral could be seen from the top of Crich Stand and this led me reading about it and eventually discovering this forum and learning about what you can see from Sheffield and I’ve been interested ever since.

I can see South Wales from here, Hinkley Point C, Steepholme, Flatholme.

On 21/11/2021 at 21:34, supersonic said:

Was a clear day today so thought I'd have a walk up to the topograph at Ringinglow and resurrect this thread :). First shot is Lincoln Cathedral - can see quite a bit of detail, not bad from 43 miles away:

DSC01425-01

Second is of what remains of Ferrybridge. To my surprise you can see York Minster between the cooling towers, some 47 miles away (it's not marked on the topograph, I don't think). The other structure is Lowe Stand at Hoyland, and Skew Hill transmitter:

DSC01423-01

These pictures are amazing. 

Can I ask regarding the specs of your equipment please. Me and my girlfriend are lucky enough to live around the corner from the Rotary Club viewpoint at Fulwood Lane off Ringinglow Road so we are often walking past there and often I pop up when I can see it's a clear day/night however still having trouble seeing anything even through my camera. (Even when it's really clear and it looks like you will be able to see things).

I'm currently using a Nikon P900 with an 83x optical zoom, or are these taken through the lens of a pair of bino's? 
And which would you recommend are best to use? 

To be able to see the Humber Bridge would be amazing, we have friends who live in Hull so being able to send them a picture would be great and even have them see it one day from Sheffield when they visit.

Thanks,

Josh.

Edited by SheffieldWalker

On 13/01/2023 at 15:10, SheffieldWalker said:

These pictures are amazing. 

Can I ask regarding the specs of your equipment please. Me and my girlfriend are lucky enough to live around the corner from the Rotary Club viewpoint at Fulwood Lane off Ringinglow Road so we are often walking past there and often I pop up when I can see it's a clear day/night however still having trouble seeing anything even through my camera. (Even when it's really clear and it looks like you will be able to see things).

I'm currently using a Nikon P900 with an 83x optical zoom, or are these taken through the lens of a pair of bino's? 
And which would you recommend are best to use? 

To be able to see the Humber Bridge would be amazing, we have friends who live in Hull so being able to send them a picture would be great and even have them see it one day from Sheffield when they visit.

Thanks,

Josh.

The camera you have  would be good for getting long distance photos from this viewpoint but good clear weather conditions are ideal.

Taking pictures through binoculars also work well but would be easier with a camera I think. Photographing the Humber Bridge using either method is possible but you’d have to work out exactly where to look.

The power stations are useful markers to work your way to other landmarks but several have been demolished now - Ferrybridge and Eggborough are gone which leaves Drax to the North but West Burton and Cottam are still visible to the East